Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re low idle, AFM??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
22re low idle, AFM??

Ok the idle on the 89 now sits at 500rpms. When I start it cold it idles up at 2100 like it always has, once at operating temp it idles at 750, after driving for a while it will drop to 500. It's not rough, isn't choppy or anything and doesn't die. I also noticed a little dead spot in the acceleration at about 1200rpms when I leave a dead stop.

I did some searching and a lot of it points towards the AFM. So I pulled the AFM plug and it dies in a couple of seconds.

Heres the issue. I read on 4crawlers site how to test the AFM but I'm running one out of a Supra. Does the Supra AFM test out the same way as the factory one for the 4runner?

I am going to be pissed if this AFM dies on me.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
If it worked before, it should work now right? I don't know about the read out thing, you might have to hit up a supra forum. I'd almost put it back in the truck and see what happens. Did you have any codes? Check anyways. Have you driven for 20-30 minutes with the new afm installed?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:16 PM

BBP I've driven a few hundred miles with it so far and this just started happening. I did go outside and put the factory AFM back in and it idles at 750. Of course then I plugged the Supra one back in and it idled at 750.

I'll porbably run it the rest of the week and then swap the factory AFM back in for next week to see if it stops. I have a multimeter so I'll check both of them and compare the numbers. It just seems odd since I ran the Supra AFM for a little over 10,000 miles on the pickup and never had an issue.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

I figured that you had a good amount of drive time on that afm 'cause I drooled over your writeup months ago. Now, this maybe WAY out in left field, but I'm willing to bet that the computers aren't the same. Silly thought. Do you think it's not getting enough fuel? Runnin' low and all? Is the throttle body good and clean, has the tps been read out.

I'm, a, not alot of help am I? lol!!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I figured that you had a good amount of drive time on that afm 'cause I drooled over your writeup months ago. Now, this maybe WAY out in left field, but I'm willing to bet that the computers aren't the same. Silly thought. Do you think it's not getting enough fuel? Runnin' low and all? Is the throttle body good and clean, has the tps been read out.

I'm, a, not alot of help am I? lol!!
TB is clean. I scrubbed it when I did the conversion. The TPS hasn't been metered out yet, I'll try to get that done this weekend also.

Dang, this weekend it looks like I'll be doing a clutch, checking the AFM and TPS, pulling the IACV and cleaning it, oh and I have to redo my sprinkler system in the back yard. Maybe I can wait on the sprinkler system.......
Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue on my 3vze. It runs perfect going home and to work. If I drive over 50 miles and come to a light it drops around 500 but it only does this on longer drives. I have changed the fuel filter, air filter, plugs, cap, rotor, wires. I guess next will be check the tps and the afm.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
TB is clean. I scrubbed it when I did the conversion. The TPS hasn't been metered out yet, I'll try to get that done this weekend also.

Dang, this weekend it looks like I'll be doing a clutch, checking the AFM and TPS, pulling the IACV and cleaning it, oh and I have to redo my sprinkler system in the back yard. Maybe I can wait on the sprinkler system.......
Sprinkler??! Priorities man!!! lol! I know that when I was putting my motor back in, I swapped out my t/b with one from LCE(the big bore one). I was dredding it(the tps adjustments) after reading some threads about how hard it could be and the screws and this, that and the other. All, in all it took a couple of minutes and was really easy and I haven't had any issues.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:39 AM

I'm thinking that I can get everything done by Sunday. I took tomorrow off from work just to be sure, that and the wife is going out of town in the morning and I'd rather be at the house drinking beer and wrenching when she's gone instead of wasting a day at the office.

I ran down to napa (is it bad when the guy at the counter knows you by name?) and picked up the clutch kit. Not too bad although it's smaller than i thought they would be. *shrug*

So tonight on the way home I grab an 18 pack of swampthings and when I hit the house I'm going to get as much taken apart as I can before bed time. Then tomorrow I hope to finish the install and then start chasing the TPS/AFM/IACV issues.

Wish me luck.

Oh I forgot. Do you use locktite or something on the fly wheel bolts?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

I'm thinking that I can get everything done by Sunday. I took tomorrow off from work just to be sure, that and the wife is going out of town in the morning and I'd rather be at the house drinking beer and wrenching when she's gone instead of wasting a day at the office.

I ran down to napa (is it bad when the guy at the counter knows you by name?) and picked up the clutch kit. Not too bad although it's smaller than i thought they would be. *shrug*

So tonight on the way home I grab an 18 pack of swampthings and when I hit the house I'm going to get as much taken apart as I can before bed time. Then tomorrow I hope to finish the install and then start chasing the TPS/AFM/IACV issues.

Wish me luck.

Oh I forgot. Do you use locktite or something on the fly wheel bolts?
Yes, use red locktight on your fly wheel bolts. If you can get them off to begin with!! lol!! I got my clutch kit from Napa too, I wanted a ZOOM kit but they couldn't get it or something. I got the Beck/Arnley kit which was like the mid grade kit. I am jealous of you!! My wifes going to be gone all summer starting next month, so I'm going to have LOTS of time to mod out the truck more!! HA!!

Also, are your throwout and pilot bearings good???? Did you get the front seal for the tranny?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:11 PM

Red? Isn't that that the stuff you need to use a torch on to get it loose? I have Blue that I've used on things like my bumpers and t-case plate and I usually need a breaker bar to get the bolts lose. Will it work as well as the red?

I got the clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool in the kit. I didn't get the front seal though. My tranny doesn't leak a drop so I didn't think I'd need it. Does that seal usually get torn up when pulling the tranny and motor apart?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Red? Isn't that that the stuff you need to use a torch on to get it loose? I have Blue that I've used on things like my bumpers and t-case plate and I usually need a breaker bar to get the bolts lose. Will it work as well as the red?

I got the clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool in the kit. I didn't get the front seal though. My tranny doesn't leak a drop so I didn't think I'd need it. Does that seal usually get torn up when pulling the tranny and motor apart?
I used red, because I'm paranoid. I don't need them things coming out!! I couldn't remember what all comes in the kit. Well, I didn't know that my seal was bad till I saw just the slightest drip just as I was putting the tranny back into the clutch. It's real simple to change out! You gotta plan to take out the pilot bearing?