Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re leaking coolant from back of timing cover.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re leaking coolant from back of timing cover.

I have a 95 yota with the 22re. I put a new top end on it head gaskets ect. I put it back together to notice it pouring fluid from the metal coolant hose on the back side if my timing cover. It's under my power steering pump. I took and made sure my bolts were tight and they were. I amwondering it if has a gasket or o ring that's sapposed to be in between it and the cover. If not maybe my bolts are to long ? I looked all over and can't find anyone that's had this issue any help is greatly appreciated. Can try and post a pic if nessecary.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:22 AM

No one had an idea ? Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:55 AM

jayd my tube leaked but turned out it was leaking where the metal strap is welded to the tube,, the one that holds it to the engind (mine has 2) anyway it cracked right in the weld and ran down. looked like it was coming from up top but wasn't.. I brazed mine over. Just a thought. Try a washer under the bolt heads.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:12 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jayd513
I have a 95 yota with the 22re. I put a new top end on it head gaskets ect. I put it back together to notice it pouring fluid from the metal coolant hose on the back side if my timing cover. It's under my power steering pump. I took and made sure my bolts were tight and they were. I amwondering it if has a gasket or o ring that's sapposed to be in between it and the cover. If not maybe my bolts are to long ? I looked all over and can't find anyone that's had this issue any help is greatly appreciated. Can try and post a pic if nessecary.
did you put it together without any gasket or o-ring? i can't remember what i used there, but if nothing else i always at least use rtv.

i had one that was corroded away on the end, but i was able to slit the hose, and spread it over enough to get a couple of hose clamps on it.

now if i go to the wrecking yard, i'm always looking for decent pieces of those little pipes.

i think that a lot of the corrosion is due to running only water in the cooling system, with nothing to stop the rust.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:02 PM

may be part of front cover gasket . doing timing chain on mine and pulled piece of gasket off of the tube on mine. have yet to get to putting gaskets and new cover back on . simple timing chain is turning into a can of worms .
Old 04-16-2016, 11:32 PM

Same

Originally Posted by skeeter0288
may be part of front cover gasket . doing timing chain on mine and pulled piece of gasket off of the tube on mine. have yet to get to putting gaskets and new cover back on . simple timing chain is turning into a can of worms .
I am worried that maybe I messed the gaskey up for mine as well. I thought it was just sapposed to use the price of the timing cover. So I have just let it sit there the whole timing chain change has wore me out.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:34 PM

Wondering

Originally Posted by osv
did you put it together without any gasket or o-ring? i can't remember what i used there, but if nothing else i always at least use rtv.

i had one that was corroded away on the end, but i was able to slit the hose, and spread it over enough to get a couple of hose clamps on it.

now if i go to the wrecking yard, i'm always looking for decent pieces of those little pipes.

i think that a lot of the corrosion is due to running only water in the cooling system, with nothing to stop the rust.
That's one of my questions. I was wondering g it there is sapposed to be a gasket or o ring where in bolts on to the back side of the timing cover.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:36 PM

Good idea

Originally Posted by Bad Brad
jayd my tube leaked but turned out it was leaking where the metal strap is welded to the tube,, the one that holds it to the engind (mine has 2) anyway it cracked right in the weld and ran down. looked like it was coming from up top but wasn't.. I brazed mine over. Just a thought. Try a washer under the bolt heads.
I appreciate ur reply I will try the washers under the bolts. Don't think it's cracked but will look it over.