Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re knocking/rattling video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
22re knocking/rattling video inside.

Hey guys, first time poster but long time lurker. I purchased my first Toyota back in February. Its a 1988 ex cab with a 22re with about 115k on it. Truck has 233 on the body, but has been sound. I'm coming to you now with my first issue. My trucks engine is making a knocking/rattling noise that I am clueless as to how to diagnose and rectify. Before I slapped down some money for a shop to look at it I thought I would bring it your way and see if maybe its something I can do myself. Any help is much appreciated and I look forward to being a member of the community. Cheers!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The prominent noise to me sounds to me like an exhaust leak. Does the noise come from the exhaust side? Does the truck sound abnormally loud with the hood closed or louder when pressing the gas? I'd crawl under truck and look up at where the exhaust manifold meets the downpipe. There should nuts holding this junction together, are they all still there?

The smaller rattling noise sounds more like it is the standard broken timing chain guide issue. All my 22res have had this happen. The timing chain guide breaks, the chain then slaps against the aluminum timing cover housing and eventually wears through it into the water jackets. Here is a pic on what to look for with the valve cover off:

Name:  chainc.jpg
Views: 2988
Size:  83.4 KB

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited by crashnburn80; 05-20-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by crashnburn80
The prominent noise to me sounds to me like an exhaust leak. Does the noise come from the exhaust side? Does the truck sound abnormally loud with the hood closed or louder when pressing the gas? I'd crawl under truck and look up at where the exhaust manifold meets the downpipe. There should nuts holding this junction together, are they all still there?

The smaller rattling noise sounds more like it is the standard broken timing chain guide issue. All my 22res have had this happen. The timing chain guide breaks, the chain then slaps against the aluminum timing cover housing and eventually wears through it into the water jackets. Here is a pic on what to look for with the valve cover off:

And welcome to the forum!
Thanks so much for your reply. The truck does sound very loud with the hood closed and it does get louder with gas. I plan to get under the truck today after work and take a look at the whole exhaust pipe all the way to the block and see if I can spot any problems. Anywhere that has a leak would be black correct? As far as the timing chain guide that is a little more complex from the looks of it. Is taking the valve cover off quite easy? Is it simply a matter of taking out the fasteners from the top or is there any special caution I need to take? If the chain guide is broken what is my next step?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's highly unlikely that both the exhaust leak and chain noise started happening at the same time.

Yes, it could be an exhaust leak, but that is not the first place I would start. I would get a mechanics stethoscope and look for the noise at all places of the engine. That will tell you where your noise is. Then dig deeper from there.

But...it sounds like you spun a bearing in the bottom end.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 AM

So just an update. I fixed the issue yesterday. Turns out I had an alternator that had a bad bearing, and was causing the sound. Replaced it and all is well. Thanks for all the insight guys.