Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re Header Clarance to the frame and upper control arm

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
22re Header Clarance to the frame and upper control arm

Hey guys, as many of you may know, I'm currenty running a PaceSetter header. it's a 4 into 1, and I keep having issues with it... I cannot get it to stop blowing gaskets... not sure if maybe the mounting flange to the head is warped or what... but anywho, I think I'm going to be replacing it

I've been looking at Doug Thorley headers, and see they have a 4 into one, AND a tri-Y setup. Personaly, I have no prefference, and they're only $30 difference between the two styles on Summit.

My question to you guys, or rather you guys that have one of these headers installed (be it the 4 into 1, or the tri-Y) on your 3rd gen PU with a 22re, is what does the clearance look like between the header and the frame rail right where the upper control arm is?

The only reason I ask is because I DO have some clearance issues with my PaceSetter header and the Rancho control arms... yay for mixing and matching aftermarket parts

It doesn't just LOOK close, it actually starts to rub at about 3/4 full compression...

I'm just trying to see if anyone has any pics they can post of their header in that location.

Much appreciated guys!

EDIT: mod, please correct my horrible spelling in the tittle, lol, thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
/me spanks bleeder's craw

4-1 is predominately a WOT / high RPM oriented header
4-2-1 is predominately a mid-range header

I'm not even going to go waste the time to search the muscle car mags for proof that a 4-2-1 (tri-y) is the better overall header, unless you're doing the drag strip.

And I'm sure a drag truck wouldn't be using lift suspension.

and why would a mod correct your "tittle"?

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-25-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh oh I just picked up a pacesetter for my 85. Are you using their gaskets provided with the header?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Well yeah the 4-2-1 tri-Y probably would compliment my cam better, but I'm more concerned about the clearance of the piping.

Scottie, the first gasket that came with the header turned into junk after the first week of running it... its just a paper gasket, and it got so brittle that it just fell apart. I had PaceSetter send me another one, and it lasted just about as long. So then I tried an OEM manifold gasket and just removed the heat shielding. It lasted a little longer, but then it started leaking too. So then I tried ANOTHER OEM gasket, and in a short while it has started leaking too, and that's what I'm running right now, and its leaking like crazy...
Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd suggest a Fel-Pro or a metal crushable/reusable gasket for exhaust manifolds. I have a Downey 4to1 brand new sitting in the box waiting to be installed. It's all pretty and ceramic coated, so I hope I don't have clearance issues with it. I'm waiting on a manifold stud kit to come in from LCE before I attempt installing it. The hardware that is on now looks beat.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
weren't you the one saying you had no problems with the pacesetter
Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Outsane
weren't you the one saying you had no problems with the pacesetter
yeah with the header itself, I mean I've had no rusting through or welds breaking like some have had...

anybody have a pic roughly in the same area of the pics I took, with a Thorley tri-Y?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hey bleeder! i am running the same header with the same issues. I found two solutions if you wanted to keep it. 1st. Go to the local performance shop and try to find a product called mr. gasket. (i know you've heard of the brand) Tey make a self cut out gasket in sheets that is sandwiched with wire mesh. Think of it this way imagine two rubber synthetic gaskets sandwiched with steel mesh. It is a pain to cut out your own but it solved my problem for two years of mudding and off roading. 2nd. try using an oem gasket with the heat sheild still attached and some high temp rvt. It worked great for my current set up on a fresh engine. no leaks and still churning. I'm not sure about the doug thorley headers but you might want to try this before you sink money into some thing that will give a similar result.