Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE Head Repair: What do you think? (advice needed)

Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Head Repair: What do you think? (advice needed)

Hello,

I bought my rig at a auction a couple weeks ago. Got the truck shipped and now working on its issues.

Came in and drove the truck off the trailer. Started right up and ran great. Kept idle great, no smoke or leaks. Drove it around the corner to park. (turned it on 5 mins max)

When I parked it, I decided to check fluids and whatnot to start making a checklist.

I open the hood and the rad has no cap on and looks empty. I then check oil and.................I see coolant mixed with oil :Cry:

I open the oil cap and see moisture at the top of the cap :Cry:. Havent turned it on since.

So since I got screwed by the seller (insurance auction, so its a gamble) I now will start this repair.

I started dissembly and just need advice on what I should do and what you think is the extent of the damage.

I also highly think the head has been worked on previously, just take a look at the exhaust manifold gasket

Valve cover:

Oil dipstick:

Top of head with valve cover removed:

Removed exhaust manifold:

exhaust mani gasket:

What do guys think should be my checklist?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

just where do you see coolant mixed with oil??

When that happens you get this glop kinda looks like liquid cat poop not all like what you have unless your running straight water.

Moisture on the oil cap is not uncommon if the engine has been sitting for awhile.

**looking a little closer i think you just had major condensation in the engine**

If you think your mixing coolant and oil do a pressure test on the cooling system that should tell you

The missing radiator cap might not have been put on correct and bounced off in transit.

With the valve cover off shine a light look at the timing chain guides

If they are worn it might be time for a timing chain.

other wise Top off the coolant go from there.

if you had coolant and oil mixed you would have had the engine knocking if not seized babbit material and antifreeze don`t mix well.

Last edited by wyoming9; 05-26-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: looked closer at pictures