Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re exhaust

im planning on fabbing a new exhaust on my truck and i was wondering what a good muffler choice would be. what do u guys run on yours? i have stock manifold and im going to cut the stock exhaust off pre-cat and weld some pipe from there down
Old 05-09-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its really all preferance... I have headers, empty cat, flowmaster muffler on mine and it sounds close to... well... factory.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:41 PM

yea ive heard of a few ppl going with flowmasters...are there smaller mufflers out there for smaller engines?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your not looking for sound or pleasure just stick stock... Usually the small the engine the small the muffer... (usually)
Old 05-09-2010, 03:51 PM

well i had already put a cherry bomb on it after the cat and i ed up the flanges on the cat now i have leaks and backfires like no other, im looking to just cut it off where i can make my own
Old 05-09-2010, 05:23 PM

I had a Pace Setter cat-back and high flow catalytic converter on my old Pickup. Got pretty good performance and great sound. So good that I ripped it off, gave a coat of high temperature paint, and threw it on my 4Runner
Old 05-11-2010, 12:18 AM

I have studied this subject extensively. My neighbor worked on the Apollo program with Nasa. His specialty is thermal dynamics. What I came up for my truck is a flow through style muffler.

Most people think of this style muffler as a cherry bomb, or glass pack. This is not true at all. Glass packs don't have a big enough canister to give enough back pressure or to absorb the sound enough.

At lower rpm's the exhaust is traveling through the exhaust tubing in pulses. When these pulses reach the perforations in the muffler it expands into the canister. This expansion causes the exhaust to slow down considerably. When the next pulse hits this slower exhaust it too slows. Then the one behind that hits and so forth. This causes the back pressure your engine needs at lower rpm's to scavenge properly.

Once the rpm increases the exhaust travels down the tubing as a steady flow. That steady flow keeps the pressure in the canister of the muffler steady. Now much less of the exhaust enters the perforations since the pressure in the canister is equalized with the pressure in the exhaust tubing. Now the exhaust exits the back of the muffler and the back pressure is equal to the back pressure in the exhaust tubing.

Essentially this type of muffler is 2 mufflers in one. Back pressure in the lower rpm's and none in the higher rpm's.

Any muffler with chambers, walls, v's, or any other obstruction will actually see the back pressure increase as teh rpm's increase. That's why the exhaust gets quieter as the rpm's increase. On the top end it will actually be more quiet than on the bottom. Exactly the opposite of what you want!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:50 PM

i have a cherry bomb right now, it sounded good in the beginning...now sounds like turd. after a lot of messin around with the exhaust i created gaps in the cat flanges and my back pressure dropped so it pops like a mofo now at low rpm's decelerating
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 AM

My best guess would be to get all new pipe. Make it two inch.
Then put a cherry bomb glass pack on it and make sure your welds/clamps are on there properly.
Thats what i have now and it sounds amazing.
Also... KEEP THE CAT ON! Once you take it off then you start getting really loud and nasty with a Glasspack. Just my .02 cents