Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re engine turns over but will not start

info on my truck...
'94 pickup 2wd
22re engine
250k on the odometer

and here goes my fairytale...
back in 2011 winter time, radiator leaked. my brother added more coolants but forgot to put the cap on and results = a blown head gasket... took it to a local mechanic shop to have it repair... when i recieved my truck back, i noticed that each time i press the gas pedal, i would hear a ping or rattle from the engine... as soon as i let go of the pedal no more rattle or if i fullthrottle the rattle will go away... so basically the rattle is only heard when i first slightly press on the gas pedal and then it goes away... i figured since it doesnt seem to be a major problem i ignored this... one year passed by just last month 2012 summer time! 105 degrees outside temperature when my truck finally gave up on me... before the engine shuts off, as i was on the highway going 65mph, suddenly car started to slow down and i can feel a lack of power.... i tried to fullthrottle but no response... just before the engine shuts off by itself, the rattle i was telling you about just got louder i mean super loud i can hear metal hitting against each other or as if metal pieces was dragging under my car...and results = engine still crank but wont start... yes i looked under my car nothing is missing... towed it home... i did a compression test and its showing 90psi throughout all cylinders... by the way i forgot to mention earlier... after head gasket was repaired... engine eats up alot of oil ... no oil leaks anywhere... oil just keeps geting low every 3weeks or depends how often i drive the truck... sorry for making the story so long but thats how it end... can anyone please tell me what could be the problem?

.... im in the process of trying to take the head off ... but as i have the timing chain to tdc, i notice the chain to the right is loose... but once i movethe timing chain off tdc the chains are tight again... it's only loose when its at tdc ... just thought i shared this too incase it might help in diagnosing this... i also noticed my spark plugs has brown carbon build ups on all four plugs too...

Last edited by conmeng; 07-17-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your motor is toast, and its time for a rebuild. The compression should be in the 160 - 175 range. There in no way to fix it with out rebuilding it.

Your timing chain will be a little loose when the engine isn`t running, because the tensioner uses oil presure to tighten the timing chain when the engine is running.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by myyota
Your motor is toast, and its time for a rebuild. The compression should be in the 160 - 175 range. There in no way to fix it with out rebuilding it.

Your timing chain will be a little loose when the engine isn`t running, because the tensioner uses oil presure to tighten the timing chain when the engine is running.
my motor is toasted? meaning exactly what? so when you said rebuild, meaning i can still use this engine? do you think its better to rebuild or just buy a new engine and build it ...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An engine can have 90 psi on all cyldiners and still run....

Sure you don't have timing chain problems? If its a rattle you heard this may be from the timing chain.... There is a plastic guide(damper) that is supose to be on the right side(looking at the front of the engine) is that plastic guide there? It should be about 8 inches "ish" long and bolted on at 2 points. If that guide is damaged or gone its possible the engine may have "jumped time" meaning that the timing chain was so loose that it skipped or jumped a few teeth. I would check to see if the engine lines up perfectly at top dead center cyldiner 1 ready to fire to confirm.

If the head gasket did it fact go out.... and coolant entered the cyldiner then its possible 1 or more connecting rods were bent or damaged...

I would also drop the oil pan and check for engine parts or debris.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu

If the head gasket did it fact go out.... and coolant entered the cyldiner then its possible 1 or more connecting rods were bent or damaged...

I would also drop the oil pan and check for engine parts or debris.
thanks for advice, i will try to take the front cover off to check on timing chains from the top seems like the guides are still intact ... but chain is loose on the right(driver) side ... and i will definately open the oil pan...
Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 AM

this is my first time removing an engine... but before i wanna put in new engine, will my original transmission for 22re fit for a new 22r ???