Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re engine just shut off

Old 09-20-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re engine just shut off

First thanks for looking, I am out of ideas. I was driving the other day and the engine just shut off. No restart at all. Got it to the casa and started looking around and noticed that the timing chain snapped. Not a big deal replaced the chain with all new parts but messed up the oil pan gasket, got to drain the oil and get a new gasket.

So after I replaced the timing chain I can not get the truck to start. I have tried everything I could think of and I am out of ideas. Please help.

Also does anyone know if there is an easy way to remove the oil pan? Through the front?

Thanks,
Will
Old 09-20-2014, 03:24 PM

Did you make sure you didn't get any head or lower end damage? I'm fairly sure if you where driving when you snapped the chain there will be some damage.
Also what truck/engine do you have?
Are you sure you don't have the timing 180 off?
I have not removed an oil pan on any V6 but I am fairly sure the 22re and 22r you just unbolt it and remove it out from behind the axle. (strait axles is all I have experience with.) the one on my Toyota trailblazer needed me to jack up the frame a few inches to get room between the axle and motor. But really for anybody to give you useful info you have to list your truck and motor, and really any mods.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech!

A broken timing chain is a pretty severe engine failure.

Its uncommon but possible piston to valve contact occured. Especially if this happened at high engine speeds.

Possible valve damage/bent valves.

Have we verified the distributor is installed correctly..?

Verify engine timing is correct...?

Pictures..?

Is spark and or fuel pressent..?

Ignition system/fuel system fault and or inoperable..?

Compression test to verify engine is healthy.

Need more information on this matter.

If timing chain failure ocuured its always recommended the engine oil pan be removed to clean excess debris.

Possible oil pick-up screen is restricted with various debris.

Oil pan removal procedure depends on the trucks setup.

A 2wd 22r truck the oil pan can be removed from the bottom, but requires removal of the front steering linkage and the front(undernieth the engine) cross member support bar.

A 4wd truck requires the same procedure in addition also removing the front differential axle assembly.

I believe some of the 2wd models jacking/lifting of the engine and transmission assembly is necessary for removal.

Or you can remove the engine assembly from the truck.

Last edited by Kiroshu; 09-20-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:21 PM

1995 22re 4x4. Pretty sure there's no other damage other than the timing chain. Heard a slight pop when in neutral coasting to a stop light. Checked distributor and it's good. Have fuel and spark. Correct valve sequence. When I took the timing chain cover off there was a bolt that was sitting in the bottom of the assembly. I believe that the chain hit his and broke.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>_<…

A bolt laying inside the engine..? When you proceeded with your timing chain repair did you notice any wear to the timing chain guides/dampers..? Bolts don't just appear inside engines loose. It would be wise to source its identity and prior location.

If it ran prior to the timing chain failure then something happened then that is still preventing engine operation or something is incorrect after you performed your repair.

If you have fuel and spark then we have more than likely have a timing or compression issue.

Verify correct crank/camshaft/distributor timing.

Compression check.

Last edited by Kiroshu; 09-20-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Also did you make sure when you put your chain back on the the motor was on top dead center on a compression stroke and not an exhaust stroke? Easy thing to miss.