YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

22RE Coolant Drain - Where??

My toyota manual for my 91' 4Runner claims that there is a coolant drain cock on the engine (Page CO-5, step #3. According to the picture it looks like its on the drivers side but I can't find anything on my engine block that looks like a drain. In the picture it looks like a bolt. I can't imagine that this would be a misprint so do any of you know where the drain on the engine is? If it does exist how would you get to it? In between the frame rail and the block is the exhaust, very tight space.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
ALPINE
RFosgate KappaPerfect Stinger - Half the worlds supply of zip ties.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." H. Solo
Hilux808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #2

I wouldnt worry aboutit to much, i doubt there is that much in the system anyway. Hardly any came out when i did my timing chain/waterpump and stuff.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

Do you know if this block drain exists? I've always just drained the radiator but I figured if I can get the most out the better.
ALPINE

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." H. Solo
Old 03-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #4

I didn't find a drain on my 91 when I had to pull the engine. And I caught most of the coolant when I drained the radiator. Maybe lost a pint or two.... Anyhow, we've got far too many cats, dogs and small kids in the neighborhood anyways to worry about loosing a few.
Heck, I've come home to find someone else parked in my driveway, which ticked me off considerably until I saw a driver come out of another house, and no one come out of mine.

abecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

Thanks guys, at least I know it's not me now. I could have sworn I know what a drain cock looks like. I'll just continue to do the radiator from now on.
ALPINE

Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #6

there's a drain on the bottom of the radiator, two plug / prongs that stick out that you have to unscrew

not sure about the block, but you could always pull of hoses

Toyota Pickup Repair Manual :)

My Crash Repair re-Build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoder519 View Post
when he said that you shoulda smacked him in the face then smacked him again for drivin a jeep
xzyragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #7

There is a drain plug on the side of the engine block on 22RE`s, i just can`t remember what side of the engine its on right now, i know its towards the back of the block and its not a drain cock, its a screw in plug that looks more like a bolt.

Solid Axle Swap, 5'' lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR`s, Trail Gear High Steer, 5 speed manual swap, InchWorm Duel Cases, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5'' Trail Gear Springs In Front, 27 Spline Chromoly Axles In Front, 4.88 Gears, Detroit Locker In The Rear, High Pinion Front With An ARB, Downey Header, AFM Upgrade, 95 Amp Alternator, Trail Gear Sliders, Addicted Offroad Front Bumper.
myyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #8

On my '86 there is a drain cock waay down on the drivers side... it's about a 10 or 12 mm bolt in the side of the block; that drains the block out. It's probably hidden underneath the downpipe / exhaust manifold making it tough to see. If you crawl under or look at the right angle, it should be visible.

Hope this helps,
Yusuf
khany2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #9

Right, it's on the driver's side toward the back. If you pull the plug, you may not get any liquid out until you go in the hole with a piece of stiff wire and clean out all the FIPG. Then you will get about 1/2 gallon.

Pic from sunwest:

Click the image to open in full size.

pic from 22re.com

Click the image to open in full size.
desconhecido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Send a message via MSN to Brendan
Old thread, but I was looking for the drain plug on the engine block as well. I had noticed the bolt head but was unsure at the time if that the was the plug or not. Thanks for the pictures to confirm, desconhecido. It was a PITA to get at and a 17mm socket was needed as well as a wide catch pan.

Last edited by Brendan; 05-24-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, 22r, 22re, 84, cock, coolant, drain, draining, engine, location, optima, photo, pickup, plug, plugs, radiator, toyota