86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re with a Carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re with a Carb

86 Pickup 4x4. Originally a 22re but the previous owner switched the intake for a carburetor and took out the emissions goodies. After a year and a half of owning it I started having a ton of power loss and stuttering going up hill so I got a remanufactured Aisan style Carb from National Carburetors. It started right up but after 2 or 3 seconds it bogged down and I had to floor it to keep it running slow and rough and gas sprayed out the top of the carb. Just installed a Holley 12-804 to make sure I wasn't pushing EFI psi and still have the same issue. I've replaced spark plugs, ignition cables, pcv valve, fuel filter and air filter.
Attached Thumbnails 22re with a Carb-20161130_152305.jpg   22re with a Carb-20161130_152323.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Are you by any chance pulling fuel through the old fuel pump .

Did the last owner remove the fuel pump and bracket and install the manual fuel pump bracket ??

Did you check your fuel pressure at all
Old 11-30-2016, 02:26 PM

I have a mechanical pump on the passenger side of the header. I did recently replace the wiring assemble from the passenger seat back. I got the FPR just in case I reactivated the old pump when I replaced the harness. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but the regulator shouldn't get above 4psi.. at least that's what it says on the Holley site. This is a pre FPR picture but shows the pump
Old 11-30-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not familiar with the Holley carb, does it have a built in regulator? I dont see an external regulator in the pics like a Weber would need. Because your stock fuel pump does about 7psi and if the holley needs 4psi max then your flooding the carb. That would be my guess.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:43 PM

It's not a holey carb, It's an aisan TOY505. Put a gauge on the regulator (mounted to the wheel well just not in the pic) just now and I'm only pushing 2psi no matter how I adjust the regulator. might just have to by a pump tomorrow. would it spit fuel from the top with too low of pressure?

Last edited by Nick McGuire; 11-30-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkTruck
Im not familiar with the Holley carb, does it have a built in regulator? I dont see an external regulator in the pics like a Weber would need. Because your stock fuel pump does about 7psi and if the holley needs 4psi max then your flooding the carb. That would be my guess.
the holley in question (12-804) is a pressure regulator, not a carb. it limits the fuel pressure to within a specified range, perhaps in this case from 0 to 4psi.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
the holley in question (12-804) is a pressure regulator, not a carb. it limits the fuel pressure to within a specified range, perhaps in this case from 0 to 4psi.
oops your right, guess i should slow down and read all the words from time to time. If your only getting 2psi yeah you want to buy a new fuel pump. If that doesn't get your PSI up then your going to need to drop the gas tank and either remove the internal fuel pump the RE truck came with, perhaps its siezed and not allowing a free flow of fuel. Fuel filter may be an idea? You never know could be plugged beyond belief. Or just install a 22r fuel tank and be done with that equation. Honestly you should have installed a weber as they dont utilize any vacuum lines. You want to buy silicone rubber caps. The cheap rubber ones crack and any vacuum leak on these carbs will cause it to run poor. I see you still have the "tree" on your manifold, i would connect to the carb the hoses you can and cap the rest.