Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE bucking, hesitation, cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE bucking, hesitation, cutting out

Guys,

I need some pointers/help. I have searched and searched already (I have replaced parts due to suggestions)..... 1990 xtra cab 22re 4wd

I have had a problem with her cutting out (hesitating, bucking) on me on long drives (drives over 100 miles) so its been awhile since she did it, since I dont do long trips to often.

I drive 90 miles round trip to work everyday... Now in the mornings she will do it at 25 miles 35miles and 40 miles........on the way home she starts at about 15 miles and lets me get about 5miles out of her every time I restart.

restart: when I feel her start to hesitate/buck on the freeway I just push the clutch in (coast), turn the ignition key off to acc. for a few seconds, then the key to on and pop the clutch to restart....she runs like normal for a few miles then start to act up & I repeat the restart till I get home..

Motor Rebuild 20,000 miles ago by myself (engbldr rebuild kit, head and cam. Complete rocker assy from 22re performance.

Replaced:
COR (circuit open relay, Toyota)
O2 (Denso)
Tps (Toyota) set with feeler gauge and ohm meter
Pickup coil (Toyota) air gap set at.010
Water/EFI temp sensor
Plugs (NGK) gaped at .031
Wires (NGK)
Cap & Rotor (YEC)
Fuel Filter (Purolator)

AFM specs seem ok but have a few doubts im check it right (read 4 crawler write up)

Coil is original, primary and secondary specs are good hot

Timing set at 5deg BTDC with it shorted
Cam deg set at 2deg adv (22re perf adj cam gear)

I need help, any suggestions are helpful.

I'm just clueless because the restarting makes here run normal for a while.

Is this symptoms, of parts like the ignitor or fuel pump?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:14 AM

Any help would be great
Old 10-24-2011, 04:49 AM

? Odd but not, at the same time, Sub....could be a LOT of things, IMO.

Any chance the fuel return line could be 1/2 plugged up, or some crud in your tank is getting sucked into the fuel pump?
Failing fuel pump
bad injector(s)
Is your air filter/plenum clean?
Some sort of sensor problem, transient because of temperature? (TPS, etc...?)
Gas cap gasket (ok, that's reaching, but hey, COULD be a cause!)

That's what first comes to my mind, but I'm not a huge expert by any means....fuel, air, spark.....'course, the transient nature of your problem is the crappy part....
Old 10-24-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by GuitarMike
? Odd but not, at the same time, Sub....could be a LOT of things, IMO.

Any chance the fuel return line could be 1/2 plugged up, or some crud in your tank is getting sucked into the fuel pump?
Failing fuel pump
bad injector(s)
Is your air filter/plenum clean?
Some sort of sensor problem, transient because of temperature? (TPS, etc...?)
Gas cap gasket (ok, that's reaching, but hey, COULD be a cause!)

That's what first comes to my mind, but I'm not a huge expert by any means....fuel, air, spark.....'course, the transient nature of your problem is the crappy part....
Thanks for the responce

I have not checked the fuel return line>>>I will

Cleaned tank during my rebuild

Fuel pump is 2yrs old....(could be a problem)...I'm waiting to get a fuel pressure guage

Injectors & cold start injector checked and serviced by RC Injection

Plenum cleaned during rebuild

Gas cap replaced 1 month ago

I am trying to find out what sensor could cause a (fuel/ignition?) problem and reset when I restart the motor..
Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats how mine started. not familiar with any truck but my '92 22re. should be about the same. check my thread to see what a nightmare it has become. no codes? mine shows code 14

glad to see someone else is a fan of 22re performance. i feel so bad i havent been able to buy any "real" parts from them but little doo-dads here and there. love how hard they push oem and make almost nothing selling those parts but do it just so they know everyone's truck is good. someday ill have one of their motors

when i called them on my "bucking" issue they asked what year my truck was and explained that pre 89 computers (i believe. dont quote me) had trouble with FACTORY TIMING. i know sounds completely backwards but try retarding down to 1-3 deg. btdc and see what happens. i am anxious to hear. btw i have always had to run mine no more than 3 deg. to avoid pinging on 87 octane

edit: whoa too much reading tonight for some reason i thought you had an 86. sorry. may still be worth a shot?

Last edited by 92dlxman; 10-24-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:21 AM

Yeah - I gotta hear what you find.

ECM?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:06 AM

I'm not even close to an expert and this is more of a question about a possible answer. Does anyone know of a strange signal from the knock sensor cause this? I have a basic understanding of how they work (I guess....), I understand they adjust the timing... I believe. Is it possible it could be going so whack it's causing the shut down like he's experiencing? My knock sensor has been bad in my truck for over a year haha and things have been smooth sailing. Like I said I'm not even close to an expert just throwing this idea out there so I can learn a little bit from y'all that are really in the know.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 AM

I've had a somewhat similar problem with my '91 in the morning. The mornings have been very moist and dewy (is that a word?) and though the truck starts right up, it stumbles in the lower RPMs as I run through the gears. This clears up after about 10 minutes of highway driving. I'm thinking that moisture is getting into the ignition somewhere (the plug wires could be changed along with new plugs, etc...) and causing havoc until it dries out. It does not do this in the afternoon when I leave work having sat in the sun all day in the parking lot.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 PM

think i solved my problem. follow the harness from the ignitor, along firewall, and between valve cover and upper intake. mine was ridding on the valve cover right where the blk/red fuel inj wire splices to 2 wires (not visible without spliting factory loom)

i split my loom, inspected each wire, and noticed condutor showing at the said split. that "loom" is electrical tape at that point and was probably burnt enough to ground injectors out. i dont suggest splitting that loom. if it is riding on the cover, re-rout it higher, above pcv hose, and most importantly the THROTTLE CABLE. it will hold that loom nice and high. add fresh tape lol
The following users liked this post:
rlw0766 (08-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2011, 06:33 PM

please post on whether or not that is touching the valve cover. if not, your in the same boat is was 24 hours ago. any codes?
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 AM

Can't wait to hear if this is the fix...a wire shorting to the cover would DEFINITELY cause problems.....IF it was shorting there yet. Anyway, that was a problem fixed before something really bad happened, if nothing else! Could have been costly, too.
Hope it worked for you, man!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 PM

bumping this because i have the exact same problem.

happens after the engine is running for a while, after it has already switched to closed loop.

gives me code 5 (O2 sensor).

i just resoldered the 3 wires running from the ignition coil that run to the engine.... will report back for future reference
Old 06-27-2019, 05:20 AM

Sorry to bring up an old post just wanted to throw it out there for others.

I had damn near the same exact issues as the OP. Luckily didn't have to go thru as many parts but after I did the wires with no change I looked and saw my ignitor wire drooping on the VC with worn insulation. Zip tied it back up and it's been all good almost a hundred miles later. 🤘🏼

Never would've guessed that little wire was making all that ruckus. Thank y'all for the tips!
Old 11-20-2019, 05:30 PM

Had a similar problem with my 94. Turned out to be a worn out distributor cap. Really acted up on humid mornings. Ran fine when dry. New distributor cap and rotor solved the problem.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:14 PM

have the same issue as OP really has me chasing my tail on this one due to turning the motor off fire it back up and it runs fine for xxxxxx amount of time until it decides to start missing/ acting like it's running out of gas.

Last edited by haverlandr; 10-06-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:23 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by haverlandr
have the same issue as OP really has me chasing my tail on this one due to turning the motor off fire it back up and it runs fine for xxxxxx amount of time until it decides to start missing/ acting like it's running out of gas.
it's late, I'm lazy, and not reading all that stuff. Post what you've experienced and what have tried.

My initial reaction is crap fuel flow from the pump sock, fuel filter, or trash in the fuel line or injector screens.