Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r wont start, just click

Old 06-07-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 22r wont start, just click

hi, i tried researching for this but i pretty much didnt find a thing.

anyways my toyota is being really weird. the engine and everything have been rebuilt or replaced except the starter. it will just click, and its been getting worse. its not like a continuous click, its just a click and then nothing until i turn the key again and then the same thing.

it will usually do this like 8 times but it has been getting worse, i was stuck at work for 15 minutes today because it wouldnt start.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thankyou
Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rebuild your starter solenoid.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dung dung dung dung- dung dung- dung dung! HAMMER TIME!

Couple of good wacks with a hammer will get ya 10 or 15 more cranks.

Use one to run down to Vato-zone and get a new starter.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
i've had this problem for years, i used to rock it back n forth, jump it, turn the key around and wiggle it..then finally i said fck it..i just jumped the leads of the starter into my cab with a push button, works every time now.

i've replaced the starter, starter relay and i've checked the clutch start switch, even had a new key made..nothing worked except the push button! haha
Old 06-07-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had the same problem. The contacts wear out. You can replace them yourself for cheap. Or buy a new starter.

Here is a helpful link.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

"Have you noticed your starter turning slower and slower, or worse yet, you turn the key and all you get it a loud click and a slight (or no) dimming of the lights? If you answered yes to any of the above questions, your starter may be due for some R&R. My 22R-E equipped 1985 4Runner, had over 210,000 miles on it, and I'll bet the starter is bone stock. The starter is actually composed of two main parts, the series-wound starter motor itself and a solenoid which serves dual functions of pushing the drive gear into the flywheel as well as making a high-current contact to supply battery power directly to the motor. Starters can pull many hundreds of amps of current under load and the solenoid acts like a giant relay taking the low current signal from the ignition switch to control the high current for the motor.

The solenoid consists of a steel plunger that is pulled into an electro-magnetic coil, that is energized by the ignition switch. There is a rod extending from the plunger that actuates the starter gear and a spring on it to retract the gear after the engine starts. Also, at the other end of the plunger is a copper ring that makes contact with two copper contacts, one from the battery and the other that goes to the starter motor itself. When the plunger is pulled into the coil, the copper ring completes the circuit between the two contacts, current flows and the starter motor spins, driving the small gear which in turn spins the flywheel, making the engine turn over. Over time, the two contacts are eroded by the inductive arcing that occurs when the starter motor is started and stopped. In every case I have heard of, only the contact on the battery side of the solenoid wears out".