YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to kentucky_dan Send a message via MSN to kentucky_dan
22r turbo upgrade?

well i just got an 88 4runner 22r and im loving it. but it seems to be a bit under powered espically for mountian highway driving (which i do plenty of)

i was wondering how difficult it was to get a turbo kit for the 22r that would come with all the nessisary components (turbo, lower compression pistons, whatever kind of fuel management, ect...)

another alternative ive found is doing a 22rte swap, are those engines pretty rare? and are there any good importers with online catalogs to browse?

any help or knowledge would be appreiciated.

cheers!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
kentucky_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #2

welcome, ya theres several online catalogs-downey is one and for the life of me im having a brain fart- but there are several
Just Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #3

There aren't any real kits per say to do a turbo swap

talk to a guy named dcgw??..forget the odd # after his name. im sure it'll come up in a 'turbo' search. He's got a web site about the conversion as well.. tho i couldnt tell you the name, to late, to tired, cant remember.

odds are he'll reply here anyway. hehe

You have an 88 4x4 with the 22R or the 22RE? That makes a BIG difference when you're talkin about turbos =)
TG 3" FR Springs, TG 4" R Springs, rear disc-brakes, chromoly rear axles, chromoly 27 Birfs, T-case brake, 5x 37x12.50r15 Goodyear MTR, Yukon 5.29 gears, F/R Aussie Lockers, MC 1600lb clutch, Magnaflow
drew303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to dcg9381
You're pretty good with those odds.

I don't like Downey - my personal opinion...

There are two places to get a turbo "kit":
1) Rick @ Fullboogie.net
2) LC Engineering

I'll let you do your own research in regard to the cost of a kit, but it's not inexpensive.

I've done a turbo "conversion" much like what you're talking about, which is much more cost effective. There are ways to do it and keep the cost down, like running 22rte pistons which don't cost any more than stock pistons. The basic formula is:
1) 22rte pistons, 22re head
2) Turbo manifold, 22rte or aftermarket manifold
3) CT26 or garrett turbo (my recommendations)
4) Plumbing for oil line, pulled off the passenger side block on the 22re.
5) Welded oil pan for turbo drain.
6) Fuel management

You can go overboard from there (like me) - but that's the basic formula.

Fuel management: The least expensive stand alone option is megasquirt, but you CAN use a 22RTE ECU and have it work - it will accept some tweeking at the AFM, but it's not really tunable. Other EFI systems are FAST and SDS, both pretty high dollar.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #5

i have a totally complete 22rte motor. it need to be rebuilt. the short block is there. its been sitting awhile with out a head on it. the head has a couple small cracks in it (no good). the wiring is complete and uncut. the computer is there. the turbo, intake, and exhaust manifold are all there too. i plan on ebaying this setup. i will include the toyota EFI TURBO emblems, and the instument cluster with the turbo light. Everything for a complete motor is there. my ebay user name suprafastcelica98. i'll post a link when i list it.
4x4yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #6

To back what dcg9381 said (and all based on prices from www.engnbldr.com)

turbo pistons: $70 vs $54 for non-turbo (ooooh...$16!) For a little added security you could have a machine shop knock a few cc's off the top to drop the compression even more(if using a 22RE head).

turbo gasket set: $68 vs $54 for non-turbo (better HG plus some extra gaskets for the stock turbo)

turbo oil pump: $55 vs $48 for non-turbo (little higher volume, but not a "real" turbo pump)

Manifold: how much do you want to spend? You can find a stock manifold and make a CT-26 fit it(enlarge some mounting holes), or build an adapter to mount a T3. There are a few companies out there that make turbo manifolds and headers.

Personally I'm finding the biggest "cost" is the little stuff. It's easy to budget for the big stuff like manifolds, turbos, pistons, heads, etc. But once you have everything and are trying to put it together: lots of little cost start popping up.

For example: the 22RTE block uses an M12x1.25 hollow bolt as the turbo oil feed line. Earls makes a fitting that will go from that to a regular AN fitting, but it's $26us for one fitting, not including the line. I got an oil feed line made up for me using the stock bolt and banjo fitting silver sodered onto an AN fitting with a stainess line: $48(Cdn).
V6 Brakes + MC
A340F auto ---> W56 5-spd swap

...I want a bigger turbo...
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to dcg9381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4yoda View Post
i have a totally complete 22rte motor. it need to be rebuilt. the short block is there. its been sitting awhile with out a head on it. the head has a couple small cracks in it (no good). the wiring is complete and uncut. the computer is there. the turbo, intake, and exhaust manifold are all there too. i plan on ebaying this setup.

This is how I did my build. I bought a "core" 22RTE motor for $150. Basically a longblock that needed rebuild. No ECU.
The only real advantage to using the 22RTE block is that it's pre-setup with an oil feed and oil drain on the correct side of the motor. Oh yea.. And you can build it up while your 4runner is on the road.

With the 22RTE EFI, if you're looking for a "budget" setup, this could be the way to go as the stock EFI will provide enough fuel for a basic low-boost turbo setup... It runs out of steam quickly, but it's a big leg up over the power available with the 22RE.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #8

I love these threads.

I really want to turbo my runner but I know neither it or I am ready.

My plan goes like this:
First I'm concentrating on resolving all the little issues a $600 runner has. It's getting close but I'm not done yet.
-Suspension needs to be redone.
-Rust removal and bodywork.
-Paint.
-New tires and possibly gearing depending on tire selection.

After that's done I'll start saving and will then begin building a spare engine intended for boost.

When I have my runner where I want it and my spare engine built I will install whatever turbo system I decide upon on my current engine and will then tune the old block so I screw anything up it's not the old tired motor. Then when I'm confidant in the tune I'll install the new motor and hopefully have the option to run more boost.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #9

about the same question....
I have a 86 basic 22r pickup. all stock as fare as the motor goes except for the webber carb upgrade.
Can a turbo be installed with out a complete motor swap?

yes i know it's a old thread but i'm ok with that. lol

Last edited by 2THPIC; 06-01-2010 at 07:20 AM.
2THPIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #10

I am looking to boost power output of my 22r and have been thinking about several options, but have been leaning toward building up my 22r with turbo conversion. What I worry about is turbo lag at low RPM while wheeling. What do you guys think is the best boost option for the 22r, turbo or belt driven? I see there are several options out there. Everyone wants to sell you lots of fancy equipment so its hard to tell whats worth it and whats snake oil.
CrazyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #11

blaiz beale bank O dEaTh
i had a ebay .68 hot side ar turbo that was full boost by 2200rpm.
78celica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #12

Anybody know a good place to get a full gasket kit for a 22rte?
Tiyoda87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #13

Who thinks they have a fast 22r I would like to talk to them
toyotahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #14

does anybody think u could run low ..boost on a stock 22re with intercooler and bigger injectors????
Snortin Nortin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #15

cab turbo emblems????? sell me!!!!!!
chuck landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:37 AM   #16

Success?????

hey, i am looking to do this swap on my 95 pickup. i have a full turbo kit and am building an oil cooling/filtration system so I can use my trucks oil pump to push the oil.

has anyone done the conversion on a 22re successfully?

not looking to make it fast but I live in the mountains so I hate having to go to third to climb hills.

I'm as open to any info you can provide as a desperate bisexual transvestite hooker in whore house.

PS I am in Nevada so whore house is a statement of location not a derogatory term.

Thanks for any info or comments your willing to provide.
1idriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:01 AM   #17
Contributing Member

Red face

I really hope you have lots of$$$$$

Horse power gains on this engine are so very expensive for very little gain.

Best of luck!!

I can only guess that a manifold made for a carb has to be expensive
wyoming9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:01 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
22r, 22re, 22rte, 4runner, ct26, head, install, kit, line, oil, systems, toyota, turbo, upgrade, upgrades