Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22R Swap - Trying to Get Going

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 22R Swap - Trying to Get Going

Gents:

Just swapped in an '83 22R into my '86 2WD.

Head and block are in good shape, carb and intake back on, cables attached, all vac lines plugged up xcept the distrib and brake booster, everything's bolted in and screwed back together, fresh oil and filter, full radiator, battery charged up...

Now it just spins when I try to start it, not firing, sounds like its not getting any spark. Eng. bay fuse block is grounded, distrib is set to #1 cyl. at TDC, plug wires are all snug and hooked up, coil is hooked up, alternator wires are all plugged in... Anything I could have missed?

M
Old 11-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
ignitor/coil not plugged into the harness? Have you confirmed 100% you are not getting spark by taking a plug out and grounding it to something and then cranking the motor to see if it is sparking?

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-15-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

I just went through this exact samething. I just did the GM ignitor/coil swap and was good to go.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 AM

No, I got plenty of spark and everything... Starting fluid down the carb gets a few weak coughs out of the engine, but it still won't fire up, even with good fuel flow.

I was thinking, though, still - the coil/ignitor I've got is from my original setup ('86, late 22R) and the engine I put in is an '83 (early). Would it be worth the trip to go back to the junkyard and get the harness and coil/ignitor module out of the '83 or is a coil a coil? Are they the same? It'd be a crapshoot, as I have no idea how long that thing's been sitting there and whether or not the other components even work.

Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
double check for rags stuffed any where..

seen it happen too many times that I have to ask
Old 11-16-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Maynard
Gents:

Just swapped in an '83 22R into my '86 2WD.

Head and block are in good shape, carb and intake back on, cables attached, all vac lines plugged up xcept the distrib and brake booster, everything's bolted in and screwed back together, fresh oil and filter, full radiator, battery charged up...

Now it just spins when I try to start it, not firing, sounds like its not getting any spark. Eng. bay fuse block is grounded, distrib is set to #1 cyl. at TDC, plug wires are all snug and hooked up, coil is hooked up, alternator wires are all plugged in... Anything I could have missed?

M
Originally Posted by Mr. Maynard
No, I got plenty of spark and everything... Starting fluid down the carb gets a few weak coughs out of the engine, but it still won't fire up, even with good fuel flow.

I was thinking, though, still - the coil/ignitor I've got is from my original setup ('86, late 22R) and the engine I put in is an '83 (early). Would it be worth the trip to go back to the junkyard and get the harness and coil/ignitor module out of the '83 or is a coil a coil? Are they the same? It'd be a crapshoot, as I have no idea how long that thing's been sitting there and whether or not the other components even work.

Thoughts?
so which is it, does it have spark at the plugs or not?

Also by #1 TDC do you mean #1 TDC compression or exhaust? It has to be compression. Remember there is 2 TDC. Maybe your dizzy is 180 out.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-16-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked the site glass to see if there is fuel present ? The float may be stuck.
I done a 82 into a 86 with out any problems,just used all the external parts off the 86 on the 82 motor.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:02 PM

trying to get going

i fixed a 1983 toyota 20r the guy put a rebuilt motor into and it wouldn't start so he pushed it out back and forgot about it for a few years he heard i fixed cars so he had it towed to my backyard for me to fix i tinkered with it doing all the usual things ,good compression,good gas to carb,new battery,til i checked the spark,none, but there was power to the coil and ignitors so i changed the coil to one i had lyin around and low and behold it started on five year old gas i called him up and his wife answered i told her the truck was running that it was something simple, he could come get it. she replied, didn't any one tell you he just died of a heart attack the truck is yours if you want it. i gave her my condoleces and asked for the title but all of is important papers were missing. back then i young and dumb and didn't know how to apply for lost title especially since the ownership was in question po two times back had pased without signing the title. couldn't sell,couldnt license it damn he was a nice guyened up driving on a temp permit or a month rebuilt the front calipers ran great until i had to get ride of it at the junkyard damn again.