Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r refresh

Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r refresh

i bought this truck about 2 months ago knowing it needed some work....so after driving it for 2 months i found the headgasket was leaking externally, the clutch is slipping and its leaking oil from about every seal, so i decided to tear into the project!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 AM

i have a few questions

when replacing the rear main seal is it necessary to remove that plate or can i just pop the old out and new in,(is there a gasket behind that plate?)

what is the ideal reassembley procedure..install chain and cover then head then oil pan? or head then chain and cover?

where can i find a gasket for the egr crossovertube on the back of ther head? i bought a lcengineering plate and dont want to just smear a bunch of fipg on it....my dealer says its ni longer available

Last edited by 92civeg; 03-22-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 AM

check out these two front seals the black is the original leaking toyota seal and the brown is the one i got from toyota? is this a updated part of some sort? should i seat this all the way down in the oil pump?

thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Yes there is a gasket behind the rear seal retainer. I would remove the retainer to replace the seal. The front seal from Toyota is thinner for a reason. You can seat it at a depth so the lip doesn't ride in the groove worn into the crank pulley. The thinner seal is the best way to go. If you need a few gaskets it might he a good idea to just buy a gasket kit. it would have all the gaskets you need (and some you dont) Fel pro is ok, engnbldr is not great but cheap. Like 60 for the whole gasket kit. Just don't use his head gasket, use Toyota only. Fel pro would be my second hg choice. for timing chain, install chain, install cover (new gaskets), install head, then install oil pan last. use toyota fipg or similar for oil pan, lots of it. don't use cork gasket for oil pan. google "ttora fsm" and download the 88 fsm (pdf, its free). it's a must have for a rebuild. there are lots of specifics you will want to follow, install order, torque specs, sealant location, etc. i just finished a full rebuild on my 87 last week. couldn't have done it with out the fsm. nice looking truck too! good luck!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a Toyota gasket set that had the EGR tube gasket, but I got it off of a guy that gave it to me with a motor. You can always make your own out of gasket material. The EGR tube gasket is just high temp graphite material, it doesn't have any sort of rivits or rings or anything.

Install the chan, then the cover, then the head and pan. I recommend installing the timing cover loosely, then torque the head, then tighten the cover to ensure that the cover isn't mis-aligned and pushing the head up. It's a PAIN to get the timing cover on once the head is on. If you install the chain, and then insert the top timing gear into the chain, it will support itself on the chain guides, and prevent the chain from falling into the cover. Then you simply just need to reach into the timing cover with a long bar (I have a 3ft flathead screwdriver), and press the tensioner in to attach the timing gear to the cam.

While you have it all apart, get some new head bolts, and get a performance cam. It's trivial to replace the cam now that it's apart.

Last edited by annoyingrob; 03-24-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Whoa! Another truck to join the "super cool check mark down the side of the body" club. With red paint, too!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:26 AM

you didn't mention how in depth this rebuild is going to be. what does a "refresh" involve? if your not doing the internals (pistons, rings, bearings, etc) did you check compression and that before you started?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM

i do have some pages copied out of a fsm for torque specs and such. but i dont have the specs for those bolts for the rear seal retainer. anyone have them handy?

i definitelty want to seat the front seal back some but i was unsure of seating it all the way down would have any ill effects (because is will be sitting in a good bit deeper)

the 22r has 144xxx miles on it and had good compression when i pulled it and didnt use any oil so im going to take the gamble for now.

its getting a
-toyota headgasket,seals,hoses,
-carquest clutch,
-timing set,waterpump,headbolts and few other parts from lcengineering.

got the head and flywheel back from the machine shop today with a clean bill of health
Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM

Sweet. If the compression was good, and not using oil I'd say you got a good plan. Google ttora fsm. Then download the fsm, the 88 is good enough for all 86-88 22r. It's the full factory fsm.1400 page pdf, it will have everything you need.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you plan on doing a lot of work on your truck, I would recommend getting a paper copy of the FSM to keep in the garage. It's nice having a physical reference when you're in the middle of a build.

They're kind of spendy at the dealership (I spent like $170 for mine, it's the size of two phone books), but you can usually find used copies on ebay for 30 bucks or so. A good investment if you can find them.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 PM

i was able to get a little done today.

i ran a tap in every hole i saw

im using a toyota headgasket and i put rtv where the fsm states but i kind of wish i would have applied some all the way around the timing cover....we will see if she holds

Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 PM

piston ring install help?

Hello all.
Long time guest, first time poster.

Im rebuilding a 22RE from an 85 2wd.

cylinders are bored .10 over, new pistons and rings.
when I opened the box I was surprised to see two different compression rings with identical markings.
They are both marked ITM 50
there isnt any instructions included and the machine shop is closed.

I think Google must be broke or something cause Ive been scouring the depths of that sucker for hours too...

Thanks[IMG]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BSyl8m5ewM2UnYMyw1S2ig?feat=directlink
[/IMG]

Last edited by asstractor; 09-08-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: photo post failed
Old 09-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Nice work. What did you use to clean the deck and pistons, or did the machine shop do it?