Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r rebuild update (PIC)

after many question & alot of reading on this site here is the plan:
i removed my 22r engine from 86 4x4 today got it broken down found the cause of the "knock" it was the rod bearing on the #4 piston...i labeled all parts with sharpie & bags..I took my heads, block, crank & oil pan, valve cover timing chain cover to a local build shop in Lagrange, Ga today...he going to rebuild head, do all my machine work clean some parts order my kit...i got home called engbilder order the crawler new cam...I should get my parts back by the end of next week...

I took several pictures so I will post progress when get time...

plan on getting a better clutch...any thing else I need other than a good tune up to start off with?

Thanks so much for the help & the encourangement to rebuild it the "DYI" method..

I'm sure I will have more ???

I just completed my rebuild yesterday thing went great...I did installed a new oil pressure guage verse the light however after about 1 hr of run time the plastic hose went south...so in reinstalled the oem for now...

I would like to say THINKS to the people of this site...I was so incouraged to go the DYI on this build...when I started this I had never built a 22r only a 302 many years ago...I was able to completed this build with great success so far..

The engine ran smooth during start up...I am going to get a better oil pressure guage soon to do away with the light...

I did find out tht this is not the orginal motor..It is not the laser style block style...Had I new that i would have looked for a laser block at the start of this project...

Entire project cost:1300 bucks including machine work,new head bolts& rv cam from engbuilder, kit, new cluth kit resurfaced fly wheel, paint, new tune up parts, coolant... bag absorbant dust...

Thanks YOTA-TECH!!!!

Last edited by ibornagain; 10-12-2008 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:35 AM

How much is the machine shop going to charge you for resurfacing the head and decking block, etc?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Have a great time with the rebuild!!! I just had mine rebuilt last month when my number one rod bearing spun on the highway. THAT was a good time. Which was sad because I just put in a new dual row timing chaing kit a month before...Unfortunately, I was in a huge time crunch so I couldn't put a cam in. I took the whole motor in(minus all the intake, and accessory drive stuff) to a machine shop and they did a complete overhaul. Did all the pull and put in of the motor by myself without a engine stand or cherry picker. Now is definately the time to replace the seal in the front of the tranny, change the clutch and throw out bearing/pilot bearings. If you haven't done the fuel filter or rebuilt the starter contacts or you want to put in new motor mounts, now is the time. There's tons of stuff you could do while the motor is out!!! I also borrowed a welder and did some frame work and started modifing my new winch bumper mounting bracket. Enjoy the DIY!!!!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 AM

Update: I haven't gotten my block & head back from machine shop just yet...should be early next week...i got the cam in yeaterday so I will drop it off monday to have it installed..i have been busy cleaning the engine compartment, taking engine parts to work media blastin & painting...things seem to be going okay...had one issue with the egr valve on intake where it broke the plug that the small pipe connect to that bolts to teh intake...found one to replace it so not to bad...
order a new cluth kit to install to install..did not replace fly wheel just had it resurfaced...
I printed most of the FSM & have been reading over it...This will be my first attemp at rebuild...
Old 10-12-2008, 05:21 AM

update with picture in top post
Old 10-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Motor looks great! How's it run?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:48 PM

i got my 22re on a motor stand now getting ready for the machine shop. whats the lazer style block and how can i tell if i got one. it'a a 91 and i think this is the orignal motor.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM

it runs out great so far...drove it to church tonight & 3 people wanted to buy...not forsale buddies...

the lazer block can be identified by looking on the driver side of the block about 1/3 way down from front of motor...It looks like micky mouse ears...if you do a search you can find picstures that can help more...