Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22R-E iddle

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R-E iddle

So i recently replaced my timing chain and fuel filter, and the truck starts and runs smooth. But after a few minutes of driving at operating temp the truck will idle up then cut out. Truck still runs and has power just idles up and then kicks down. The only other thing i did was take some slack out of the throttle cable. Any ideas? is it just a sensor? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I'm not sure what "idle up then cuts out" means, but here's some things that it could be:

- Air bubble in your cooling system, burp it to get rid of air pockets
- Is your AC on? Could be the AC VSV kicking the idle up
- Vac leak might cause this problem, look especially hard at all the hoses connected to any of the temperature valves screwed into the intake because you mention it only does this at operating temp.

- Finally I suppose it could be the temp sensor, but I would check all the other issues first.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Turn down your idle, it's set too high.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the coolant passage in the tps on mine was blocked causing high idle surging.there a thermostatic air bypass valve in there. took off the tps and found it full of rusty sludge.p-o neglect.after cleaning idle returned to normal after the warmup or inrichment cycle.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 AM

does it do this when brake pedal is applied? also or worse? high idle could be the problem ,but still could lead you to the bypass valve.both my 22re trucks had issues at the bypass valve.its cheap and easy enough to check just need a couple new gaskets,and 30 minutes
Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 AM

what the hell is an iddle..... juzz skiddin!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mikesnyhere
does it do this when brake pedal is applied? also or worse? high idle could be the problem ,but still could lead you to the bypass valve.both my 22re trucks had issues at the bypass valve.its cheap and easy enough to check just need a couple new gaskets,and 30 minutes
It does it after driving at Operating Temp for a few miles and ill come to a stop light and put it in nuetral and it starts to do it. And how can i check the Bypass valve? Thanks for the help
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
I'm not sure what "idle up then cuts out" means, but here's some things that it could be:

- Air bubble in your cooling system, burp it to get rid of air pockets
- Is your AC on? Could be the AC VSV kicking the idle up
- Vac leak might cause this problem, look especially hard at all the hoses connected to any of the temperature valves screwed into the intake because you mention it only does this at operating temp.

- Finally I suppose it could be the temp sensor, but I would check all the other issues first.
Ya i could try the Burp, i just put it all back together. Could it be the slack in the throttle cable? I adjusted the throttle cable and took the slack out. Could that be it?