Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22R break-in questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R break-in questions

Hows it going? I just wanted to know if any of you guys had any tips for breaking-in a rebuilt 22R. I have heard everything from "give it in the pipes" to "treat it like a newborn baby". What do you guys think? Tomorrow I will be driving the truck from Albuquerque NM(where the engine was installed) back to Taos NM, which is about 132 miles of mountainous driving. Is that going to be good or bad for my new engine? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Change oil/filter after 500 miles

Don't shift over 4k until 500 miles

No heavy towing until 500 miles

Otherwise drive it
Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Drive it like you stole it.

Your not going to hurt it.

A search on google is easy-

Recommended Break-In Procedure for Rebuilt Engines

Protect the investment you have in your engine. Take the time to read and follow these recommendations.
Before starting your rebuilt engine for the first time, be sure it is pressure lubricated. This means priming the oil pump with oil shaft rod or turn engine over with starter without spark plugs.
NEVER add cold water to the colling system while the engine is running. The engine should be allowed to run at normal operating temperature. If not, shut down and wait 30 minutes, then restart.
Start the engine and run at a fast idle, approximately 1500 RPM, and check oil pressure. Run the engine for 30 minutes even though the collant may rise to operating temperature in a few minutes. Adjust carburetor and ignition timing. If the coolant should 'boil over,' stop engine and allow to cool down for 30 minutes, then start again and add water, and then proceed as above.
Stop the engine and re-torque head and manifold to engine manufacturer's specifications in proper sequence. Readjust tappets if necessary. NOTE: look for any leaks, upper and lower.
Start engine again and make a test run on the road at 30 mph in 'drive' range or select proper gears for standard transmission. Periodically open throttle and accelerate to 50 mph and decelerate rapidly. Repeat this procedure at least 10 times. For a large truck or industrial engine, accelerate in intermediate gears as above. NOTE: Applying light loads to the engine for short periods of time causes increased ring pressure against the cylinder walls and helps to seat the rings. This is especially important because you are 'breaking-in- the engine with heavy duty oils. The rapid deceleration increases vacuum and gives extra lubrication to the pistons and ring assemblies, also helps lubricate the whole engine.
ENGINE OR VEHICLE SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PASSENGER CARS: Drive normally but not at continuous speeds for the first 500 to 1000 miles. Occasional fluctuation of speed followed by deceleration during this first period of break-in is beneficial. Then make sure to change oil and filter on or before the first 1000 miles. Note 30 weight for break-in.
ENGINE OR VEHICLE SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR TRUCKS: Run with light loads from 500 miles and avoid 'lugging.' Occasional acceleration and deceleration in proper gear during this break-in period is advisable. Then change the oil and filter, 30 weight.
ENGINE OR VEHICLE SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR INDUSTRIAL ENGINES: Follow above instructions and operate under partial loads for several hours. Change oil and filter after approximately 10 to 20 hours of operation.
After 1,000 miles of service, re-torque cylinder heads and manifolds to proper specifications. Re-adjust tappets. We suggest that this be done again at 6,000 miles. We know this means extra work, but it assures long and satisfactory engine performance.

Last edited by flecker; 06-17-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New cam? If so you need constant high oil pressure for 20 minutes for a cam break in. around 2000 RPMs to make sure the cam is oiled 100%

Otherwise, stick your foot in it. Let it rev out in 2nd gear, then let go of the gas and let the engine decel back to idle. Continue this process of engine braking and high revs. I say change oil after the initial break in, then again after 100, then again after 500. The 100 mile mark probably isnt critical, but oils cheap, engines arent. Definitely do it immediately after break in though, flush out assembly lube and any metal.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:19 PM

Depends how your motor is built, but if you have the proper cam and valvetrain, run the damn thing to redline!

In all seriousness, drive the thing. We have plenty of turbo'd & H/C motors that we've built and each case we treat them like a 70hp Samurai..foot to the floor to move. Change the oil @ 100 miles, 500 miles, & 2,000.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by flecker
Drive it like you stole it.

Your not going to hurt it.

A search on google is easy-

Recommended Break-In Procedure for Rebuilt Engines

Protect the investment you have in your engine. Take the time to read and follow these recommendations.
Before starting your rebuilt engine for the first time, be sure it is pressure lubricated. This means priming the oil pump with oil shaft rod or turn engine over with starter without spark plugs.
NEVER add cold water to the colling system while the engine is running. The engine should be allowed to run at normal operating temperature. If not, shut down and wait 30 minutes, then restart.
Start the engine and run at a fast idle, approximately 1500 RPM, and check oil pressure. Run the engine for 30 minutes even though the collant may rise to operating temperature in a few minutes. Adjust carburetor and ignition timing. If the coolant should 'boil over,' stop engine and allow to cool down for 30 minutes, then start again and add water, and then proceed as above.
Stop the engine and re-torque head and manifold to engine manufacturer's specifications in proper sequence. Readjust tappets if necessary. NOTE: look for any leaks, upper and lower.
Start engine again and make a test run on the road at 30 miles per hour in 'drive' range or select proper gears for standard transmission. Periodically open throttle and accelerate to 50 miles per hour and decelerate rapidly. Repeat this procedure at least 10 times. For a large truck or industrial engine, accelerate in intermediate gears as above. NOTE: Applying light loads to the engine for short periods of time causes increased ring pressure against the cylinder walls and helps to seat the rings. This is especially important because you are 'breaking-in- the engine with heavy duty oils. The rapid deceleration increases vacuum and gives extra lubrication to the pistons and ring assemblies, also helps lubricate the whole engine.
ENGINE OR VEHICLE SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PASSENGER CARS: Drive normally but not at continuous speeds for the first 500 to 1000 miles. Occasional fluctuation of speed followed by deceleration during this first period of break-in is beneficial. Then make sure to change oil and filter on or before the first 1000 miles. Note 30 weight for break-in.
ENGINE OR VEHICLE SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR TRUCKS: Run with light loads from 500 miles and avoid 'lugging.' Occasional acceleration and deceleration in proper gear during this break-in period is advisable. Then change the oil and filter, 30 weight.
ENGINE OR VEHICLE SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR INDUSTRIAL ENGINES: Follow above instructions and operate under partial loads for several hours. Change oil and filter after approximately 10 to 20 hours of operation.
After 1,000 miles of service, re-torque cylinder heads and manifolds to proper specifications. Re-adjust tappets. We suggest that this be done again at 6,000 miles. We know this means extra work, but it assures long and satisfactory engine performance.
Thank you, and I did do a search on google, but I owuld prefer break-in tips specific to the 22R engine. The builder did tell me to bring it back after 1000 miles though, to do a headbolt re-torque

Last edited by yotaman90; 06-17-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Change oil/filter after 500 miles

Don't shift over 4k until 500 miles

No heavy towing until 500 miles

Otherwise drive it
Originally Posted by rusche
New cam? If so you need constant high oil pressure for 20 minutes for a cam break in. around 2000 RPMs to make sure the cam is oiled 100%

Otherwise, stick your foot in it. Let it rev out in 2nd gear, then let go of the gas and let the engine decel back to idle. Continue this process of engine braking and high revs. I say change oil after the initial break in, then again after 100, then again after 500. The 100 mile mark probably isnt critical, but oils cheap, engines arent. Definitely do it immediately after break in though, flush out assembly lube and any metal.
I don't know if it has a new cam, but I know that the truck has already been driven a bit so I figure that the cam should be fine. I'm more worried about the crank/rod bearings and the rings. About how many miles will it take for these components to be considered "broken-in"?

Originally Posted by Erik Beeman
Depends how your motor is built, but if you have the proper cam and valvetrain, run the damn thing to redline!

In all seriousness, drive the thing. We have plenty of turbo'd & H/C motors that we've built and each case we treat them like a 70hp Samurai..foot to the floor to move. Change the oil @ 100 miles, 500 miles, & 2,000.
So basically, what I gather from this is that as soon as I get it home I should give it an oil change, correct?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Sorry guys, but I've never owned a zero-mile engine before
Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM

The rings will seat 90% of the way after 20 minutes.
Full break in can take up to 500 miles.
And as stated above, retorque your head bolts and adjust your valves after initial break in.
I recommend a standard 30W Non-Detergent for break in. (First initial run only)
You dont necessarily want all those additives that regular oil has when your seating rings and such