Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2010 4runner

Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 4runner

Any body else get this e-mail from Toyota? I have the ad but only copied the interesting part after doing the build your own it came out to 37,000 but look at the specs for the trail edition very promising does it really work well that's another thing.
According to my dealer that sent this to me it should be in mid month going to set up a test drive and talk them into off roading it a little to test the crawl and locking rear.

Trail
17-in alloy wheels, Black front and rear bumpers with extensions, door handles, heated power outside mirrors, black overfenders, side rocker panels, mudguards, front grille insert, rear license plate garnish, hood scoop, smoked headlamp and taillamp bezels, black utility roof rack with rail system, AM/FM/MP3 CD player with eight speakers, USB port with iPod® connectivity, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology, Multi-terrain Select, Crawl Control, locking rear differential, and part time 4WD with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC)
Old 11-06-2009, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it sounds like quite the beast
Old 11-06-2009, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does sound like a nice vehicle, but why doesn't Toyota offer a manual transmission for it?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:37 AM

check out youtube! 2010 4runner and there are some damn good videos wheeling
Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
WOW, from everything I've read, they were not going to put in a rear diff lock. Now I really have to start thinking about a new ride!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 AM

The newer 4runners are getting butt-ugly. But if this is the 4runner I saw in a magazine...i wants!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnusian
It does sound like a nice vehicle, but why doesn't Toyota offer a manual transmission for it?
cause soccer moms dont need it
Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Elton
They need it because they'd be better drivers with it. Soccer moms are terrible drivers, having automatic transmissions just gives them another reason to focus less on driving.

What's the point of a truck, suv, or sports car with an automatic transmission? So much wasted potential...
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Elton
x2 hahah
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f193/
Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 AM

The crawl control just seems like cheating. if not cheating, it at least is taking all the fun out of it. How many people need to use 4-LO, in tricky up and downhill parts, but can't control their own vehicle speed?? I think this is gonna get a lot of people in trouble, giving them a false sense of ability, and get a lot of brand new 4runners mashed up..

However, for a family comfortable, dealer ready off-road rig, I like it.. A little on the ugly side, but I still like it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VUrnMfEpww
Old 11-06-2009, 08:44 AM

i like the new look.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by blue_CA_yota
The crawl control just seems like cheating. if not cheating, it at least is taking all the fun out of it. How many people need to use 4-LO, in tricky up and downhill parts, but can't control their own vehicle speed?? I think this is gonna get a lot of people in trouble, giving them a false sense of ability, and get a lot of brand new 4runners mashed up..

However, for a family comfortable, dealer ready off-road rig, I like it.. A little on the ugly side, but I still like it..

I agree about the look but just imagine how cool that system would be with an SAS 5 speed set up it's kinda like a factory Marlin Crawler Crawl box built in, can't be all that bad if it works like it sounds it does.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
they look pretty cool but i dont care to much for auto's
Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
x2 hahah
x3. Lolz.

Automatic also makes it easier to talk on the phone and drive, which people shouldn't be doing anyway.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM

Soccer moms, they don't need manual transmissions, but they do need the ability to crawl at the push of a button.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM

crawl control sounds like super fancy cruise control. if i had a spare 38000 i would probably snatch this 4runner up.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I agree about the look but just imagine how cool that system would be with an SAS 5 speed set up it's kinda like a factory Marlin Crawler Crawl box built in, can't be all that bad if it works like it sounds it does.
It does have a 1GR-FE in it, it should be possible to adapt a 6spd manual from another vehicle (recent FJ Cruiser or Tundra) with the same engine with minimal modification. I don't know enough to say if there's a 5spd that would work, but it may be out there, I think FJ Cruisers have them with the 6spd being an option. Something tells me the button-controlled crawl system will probably not work care of the differences between manuals and automatics and you'd probably have to go the marlin crawl box route. It'd probably cost an arm and a leg to convert too, since I somehow doubt there are many junkyard tundras or cruisers from recent model years and there's obviously some custom work that'd have to be done.

Honestly, it'd just be easier if they still included a manual tranny for people who know how to drive and want to save some money.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Soccer moms, they don't need manual transmissions, but they do need the ability to crawl at the push of a button.
When's the last time you had to park your 5th gen in those horribly undersized parking spots at the athletic centre? Not an easy task.. I've seen many soccer moms fail.. This happened a couple cities over from me a few weeks ago.. Not a 5th gen, but you can clearly see why a crawl box is needed.. Imagine how much more epic this vid would be if that X5 had Crawl Control..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OmUN...eature=related

I read that it's only a 270 horse V6 too.. a measly 270 horse and automatic?? my first gen will PWN that 5th gen!!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:00 AM

When's the last time you had to park your 5th gen in those horribly undersized parking spots at the athletic centre? Not an easy task.. I've seen many soccer moms fail.. This happened a couple cities over from me a few weeks ago.. Not a 5th gen, but you can clearly see why a crawl box is needed.. Imagine how much more epic this vid would be if that X5 had Crawl Control..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OmUN...eature=related

I read that it's only a 270 horse V6 too.. a measly 270 horse and automatic?? my first gen will PWN that 5th gen!!
Ahahahaha, I remember when that happened, I work in Toronto and read that in Metro on my commute in last week. Wasn't it some old lady though and not a soccer mom? Regardless, I agree crawl control would've made that video so much more epic, little old lady in a big SUV crushin' cars like she's driving a monster truck, I'd pay to see that.

Also, don't knock on 270 horses, that's almost 3x the horsepower under the hood of my truck. Then again, my truck doesn't waste the horses it has as much as an automatic does, it'd still be nice to have a 5spd instead of a 4spd so I could put them to better use.

Last edited by Magnusian; 11-06-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 4runner