Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2 x 12 inch subs in the extended cab. good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 x 12 inch subs in the extended cab. good idea?

Need advise on putting 2x jl audio 12w3v3 sub woofers (500W RMS each) in the extended cab.

I just checked out a ported sub box with these 2 subs and it fits fine on the back seats. There is pretty much no space left (side ways).

This is how the box looks like: http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/CIMG1268.jpg

Has anyone got a sub box in their extended cab? Other than the size issue, these things have massive bass which im not sure is a good thing for the old plastic interior. Is this a overkill?

Last edited by hgill; 08-06-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
This a crappy quality video, but you get the point. These are 10", by the way.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 08-07-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i think 2 12's are WAY overkill for that small of a space, 1 10 in an good box would be plenty or two 8 inch woofers, the idea is for it to sound good not to rattle the windows of every house you drive by and shake your mirrors so much you cant see out of them
Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i put one 12" Fi Car Audio Sub in my 85 xtra cab, but i made my own box. I made the sub in the middle with ports running out to each side.. It is a little loud.

Oh by the way, Fi is a little expensive, but you wouldnt regret one 12.. It is equivalent to about two 12's. Just if you would want to sell your JL's.

EDIT: Here is a video of a guy with the same sub in his Chevy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5LMq...e=channel_page

(he sold this sub awhile back though)
Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ya EZrider is right..2 12's is WAYYYY OVERKILL..

i have a single 12in in a TINY box..and it sounds amazing..although i am going to go with 2x 12in Memphis subs eventually..lol

my amp is this Kicker KX350.4 its designed to run 4 subs...its 2 amps in one..i have one of the sides bridged..and it sounds amazing inside..but doesnt put ALOT of sound outside the vehicle..
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JzWwr3J...ephotos&a=&s=0 this amp not only runs my single 12..but it runs my 6.5's and my 6x9's..the sound quality is AMAZING over my original LA 750w amp..lol

i need to upgrade all my wiring..but its ok for now.

i got it for free from a friend and it hits AMAZING...although i am gonna trade it for a 1000w mono amp soon..

Last edited by camo31_10.50; 08-07-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:57 AM

o ya..and my 750w amp that i used to have and my same single 12" 1300w xplod rattled both of my side view mirrors off..and they fell off on the interstate and met Semi tires...lol and i've had to reinstall my rear view mirror twice because of my system..its plenty loud enough for me..lmao
Old 08-07-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
A friend of mine has 2 W3's in an Obcon truck box. It's about 4' long and has an about 18" box, 12" flat area for the amp (a 500w mono JL), and then another 18" box. Honestly, it's a truck, but it's one of the best sounding bass setups that I have ever heard.

My 12w3 in my M3 is overkill. And it's in a little stealthbox. Don't waste your money, man.

My .02.

Alex
Old 08-07-2009, 12:45 PM

I can't understand why someone would want that much bass in such a small area? Not to mention the space it's going to take up in what is already a small cab. I'd like to see some of these guys in ~20 years who drive around all day long shaking the entire neighborhood when they drive by. I'd liek to know how their hearing was affected by that crap.

My brother used to have 4 10" RF subs in the back of a Mazda truck. It was ridiculous. You couldn't even see straight driving down the road.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinlhc
I can't understand why someone would want that much bass in such a small area? Not to mention the space it's going to take up in what is already a small cab. I'd like to see some of these guys in ~20 years who drive around all day long shaking the entire neighborhood when they drive by. I'd liek to know how their hearing was affected by that crap.

My brother used to have 4 10" RF subs in the back of a Mazda truck. It was ridiculous. You couldn't even see straight driving down the road.
i hope by the time they reach there middle 20's they have no hearing left at all it would serve them right. i live in a real quiet neighborhood and about once a day some jackass will drive threw rattling everyone's house disturbing the peace and probably thinking he is hot sh** while doing it. it pisses me off quiet frankly. there was one day the same car drove by 4 times in about an 20 min period of time, i walked into my bedroom loaded my gun put on my shoulder holster and was waiting for him to drive by again to stop him in the road. now i have been an musician for the majority of my life, and really enjoy listing to music but its all about balance not about how hard your system can thump

Last edited by Ezrider_92356; 08-07-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
i hope by the time they reach there middle 20's they have no hearing left at all it would serve them right. i live in a real quiet neighborhood and about once a day some jackass will drive threw rattling everyone's house disturbing the peace and probably thinking he is hot sh** while doing it. it pisses me off quiet frankly. there was one day the same car drove by 4 times in about an 20 min period of time, i walked into my bedroom loaded my gun put on my shoulder holster and was waiting for him to drive by again to stop him in the road. now i have been an musician for the majority of my life, and really enjoy listing to music but its all about balance not about how hard your system can thump
Moron.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356

hot sh**? not so much.. its all about personal preference.. try stickin your head a little farther up your butt so you cant hear my stereo anymore.. and that dirty harry bs? give it up.. you've seen gran torino one too many times.. if you tried stoppin me in the road about my music , im quite sure id drop a gear and mash the skinny pedal
Old 08-07-2009, 03:01 PM

try it here in az, and im sure youd get a strap pulled on you faster that you can whip yours out old man
Old 08-07-2009, 04:15 PM

try it in texas im sure ud get shot. cali theyd look at you and think its par for the course
Old 08-07-2009, 04:29 PM

is this an age related thing??..i dont see very many guys over 35yrs old with thumpin systems..lol

my system sounds amazing inside the cab..but the bass is not transferred out of the vehicle very much..from about 50ft away..you cant hardly hear the bass..

to each there own...isnt that the saying???...

i dont like a bobbed longbed..infact i WANT a longbed..but do i go around causing a big fuss every time does a bed bob???? no..so if you have nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all...

if the OP wants to put 2 18's in the back of his cab..let him..its his truck...

yes 2 12's is overkill..but i dont think it will harm your interior..but keep an eye on that back glass..it might not stay sealed..or it might crack or shatter..
Old 08-07-2009, 04:35 PM

I had 2 kicker 12's in the back for about a month.

They were louder than all hell, and the back speakers were rendered useless.

There was no boom outside the cab with the windows up...

The alternator HATED it. I had to run my truck with my system off for about 1 minute to recharge.

Other than a nice back massage, not worth it. Especially considering these trucks are very easy to break into.

And, it sounded like a whale fart.

luckily, i got them for free. I put my single kicker 12 back in, and now it sounds great and my alternator doesnt cry.

Oh ya... Fully cranked, the back windows would flex about 1/2" ha ha.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Indeed, each to his own.

Because I like to whore out my "on the cheap" stereo:

Old 08-07-2009, 04:37 PM

ya mine flexes about 3/8" just with the 12" x-plod and the 750w amp...it doesnt flex as much now..but it sounds ALOT better with the Kicker KX350.4 amp..lol
Old 08-07-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile

thats just staight up gangster...
Old 08-07-2009, 04:40 PM

Dang ol' dang! You guys are hilarious. I had two Kicker SL7 SB 8's in my xcab and I had to sell them because I could feel my ear drums bleed. I think now I would just go with one decent 8 or 10. besides I dont care what your buying to put in your rig as long as your putting money back into the economy to help guys like me get a f***ing job! Obama, we need to stimulate our own economy, get out there and spend yer damn money!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
is this an age related thing??..i dont see very many guys over 35yrs old with thumpin systems..lol

my system sounds amazing inside the cab..but the bass is not transferred out of the vehicle very much..from about 50ft away..you cant hardly hear the bass..

to each there own...isnt that the saying???...

i dont like a bobbed longbed..infact i WANT a longbed..but do i go around causing a big fuss every time does a bed bob???? no..so if you have nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all...

if the OP wants to put 2 18's in the back of his cab..let him..its his truck...

yes 2 12's is overkill..but i dont think it will harm your interior..but keep an eye on that back glass..it might not stay sealed..or it might crack or shatter..
Just a reminder, the OP posted a question asking the opinions of other people on a public forum. If he didn't want to hear positive and negative he shouldn't/wouldn't have posted this thread.

Also, a bobbed bed won't affect my daily life one single bit. 6 18" subs blasting around the neighborhood will certainly cause a disturbance to most anybody it passes by.

but yeah....to each his own. The question was "is it a good idea?". My personal opinion is NO, it is not a "good idea".

Quick Reply: 2 x 12 inch subs in the extended cab. good idea?