Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2 problems. water in EGR (normal?)..PS fluid in intake

Old 05-26-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 problems. water in EGR (normal?)..PS fluid in intake

i had a host of problems with my last engine that caused all sorts of other problems. i wound up getting the thing rebuilt using a different block (cause mine was screwed) and new heads. ive had it for about a month now and i got the code 71. checked my EGR and its fine so im moving to test the EGR temp sensor today to see if thats messed up.

two things i found while running through the truck though that i thought id ask about.

1) while disconnecting the vacuum hoses to check the EGR and the vacuum modulator, i found that the modulator has water droplets in it. I cant tell if its just condensation or if theres a flow going through it while the engine is running and what i saw was just the left overs. im thinking its just condensation though as the little filter (although completely dirty) wasnt wet.

is this normal? doesnt seem to be. the fluid is clear like water, though...i suppose since its such a small amount (blowing through the vacuum tubes will yield about5 drops)...i cant tell if its actually coolant and green).

sidenote: apparently they dont sell the filters separately. im gonna jam a bunch of cotton balls in there. seems like it should work about as good yes? that OEM filter doesnt appear magical.

2) i was replacing the air intake tube the other day and noticed that there was some amount of PS fluid running into the intake manifold where the little side hose connects. i researched here and found that the cause could be the the idle up valve on the PS pump. i checked it out visually and didnt see any leaks though. i guess il have tot ake it off and check and FSM

lately, ive noticed that sometimes ill smell what smells like fire cracker smoke from the exhaust. is that the PS fluid? its a very distinct smell of firecracker smoke. sulfury...like the smell of matches.

how can i ensure that i burn all that stuff out of there? is my new rebuild screwed up? (its still under warranty for 60k)
Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 PM

for the record the egr temp sensor was bad.

weird thing though is when i used water to test it, it was within specs (at least to 50c*). then i changed to oil when i noticed i was supposed to use oil and not water. when using oil it was about double the normal range.

anything about the water and the firecracker smoke?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:38 AM

The PS fluid in intake is 100% contributed to the idle air control valve on the PS pump. Also, it should be tranny fluid in your PS system, NOT PS fluid so get that flushed while your swapping the IACV on the pump.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:58 AM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TexFF
The PS fluid in intake is 100% contributed to the idle air control valve on the PS pump. Also, it should be tranny fluid in your PS system, NOT PS fluid so get that flushed while your swapping the IACV on the pump.
I had this happen on my 4Runner, replaced the idle air control valve and it did the trick.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the by products of combustion is H2O so its normal to see water or condensation in exhaust components...

However if theres an excessive amount of condensation around the egr system more than likely there is a blockage in the egr port where it connects to the intake manifold.

The PS idle up valve is the cause of the power steering fluid in the intake like they said above... very common on these trucks lots of threads...

Lot of ppl have eliminated it and or replaced it... your call really.