Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 broken runners.. need help focusing and trouble shooting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 broken runners.. need help focusing and trouble shooting.

hello yota tech

take a seat and help me with my trucks..

ok first one my trail rig... had a leak by the fuel filter... so i drop it to my yota workshop driveway.. remove starter replace fuel filter... go to place starter back in and i forgot i hooked up my battery to test c.b well SPARKS and i bang my head off the frame
now i have chcked the efi and the other relay in the box by battery they both switch at 12 volts... also checked all fuse in kick pannel all are good..

when i go to start the truck i get nothing but a click behind glove box...DID I BLOW THE STARTER?? doesnt look like there is a fuse between the live and starter???
the check eninge light comes on with no codes??

NEXT TRUCK
my old daily driver...
died on me while driving home..
it sputtered when giving gas then it just died and i could not restart...

new plugs wires car rotor cuz it needed them... i could see a spark and i jumped the fuel pump still no start... also would NOT start spraying quick start in the throttle body which leads me to believe it might be a signal generator but i dont wanna take the distb apart and have to learn how to do timing

NO CODES

if i cant get them atleast sarting i will prolly have to scrap them by winter and i love them so much

too nice to just scrap, but im getting to the end of my rope and cant keep dumping money into them

Last edited by bigt; 10-04-2008 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trail rig - I'd check all the fuses in the box under the hood, next I'd pull the starter back out and spin it over with some jumper cables so make sure it still engages?

DD - When was the last time you did a timing belt? Is there water in the oil - look under the oil cap for something that looks like a milkshake. After that I'd confirm spark on all plugs, then perhaps a compression test to figure out if the belt broke or HG blew.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:41 AM

BOTH ARE 22res..
no oil in coolant

the starter worked great before i shocked it
guess ill pull her out and try again... im gonna gain lots of ideas and get a nice game plan!!!
keep the ideas rolling thanks dude!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:56 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There IS a fuse on the wire from the battery to the starter. As a matter of fact, the fuse IS a wire ... of sorts. Sounds like you blew the fusible link to me. BTW - I did the same thing on my old 22R, thought the wire went through a solenoid first, didn't realize it was built into the starter.

The DD one confuses me a little. It will crank but not start? Obviously, you have spark, so I would progress to making sure you have fuel. Pull an injector and see if it sprays. When was the fuel filter replaced on this one?
Old 10-04-2008, 07:58 AM

i have fuel cause i can smell it plugs are wet and can hear pump running when i jump it...
which fuseabile link?? the one i must unscrew from the black box that looks like a pain to even get a wrench in???
thanks tc i remember you helping me with a good way to get cvs out too

i can crank it all day.. so i though i might have foiuled plugs.. brand new plugs no goo on the old daily driver
Old 10-04-2008, 08:02 AM
tc
Contributing Member

I would still recommend pulling an injector. Just because they're wet doesn't mean they are spraying a combustible mist. It wouldn't be the worst thing to replace the fuel filter if you don't know when it was done last.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 AM

i dont know when it was done AND i know i can change cause i just did it on the trial rig .. maybe i will pull the starter to do fuel filter and put it in the other truck so i can move it!!!

unless this fuseable link is the culprit!!!

3 toyotas has my head in a dizzy good think i didnt bring home number 4 lol
Old 10-04-2008, 08:08 AM
tc
Contributing Member

It is easy to test if it's the fusible link - just see if you have +12V at the starter. As you have found out, it's wired constant hot.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 AM

yes man... i have a greenlee multi meter and know how to use it lol...
after some lunch ... but i will need someone to turn the truck over too see if i got power???
so i will need to con a friend over
Old 10-04-2008, 09:29 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Nope - that was my point about it being hoooked up constant hot - just slide under the rig and check it!
Old 10-05-2008, 05:15 AM

so one on the wire thats bolted and one probe to a ground???
Old 10-05-2008, 09:58 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Perzactly
Old 10-05-2008, 10:42 AM

nope i get 12 volts at the sarter?? funny maybe a blew it??
def picking up a filter for blue this week
Old 10-06-2008, 06:06 PM

For the starter, the main cable has a constant 12v but your solenoid needs a signal from your ignition to work. You can short the start by using a crappy screw driver and going from the b+ to the next large terminal. I doubt you fried the starter though as they can draw significant amperage. Maybe a dead spot in the starter. Have a friend turn the key and tap the starter gently with a hammer. Have you checked for a starter fuse?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 PM

yes checked the sarter fuse and all in kick pannel
i get 12 volts on that wire...
ill try tapping the starter with a hammer or i would jump the batter nut to the other plug on sarter with screwdriver??

with the blue runner im gonna try fuel filter and go from there??
Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 PM

You say you have b+ on the large wire. Remove the connector at the solenoid. If you check it with key off you should have no power, key in start position should have b+. If you do this and have a standard please remember to put it in neutral.
As for shorting the starter you short the large b+ terminal to the other large terminal. It is basically a large round contact in the solenoid you are by-passing.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 PM

cool... im a little busy with work this week.. but im fighting mother nature and shes gonna turn in a few weeks!!

if i could get both going with minimal money it will make my life easyier... and i dont wanna tow them to a garage cuz i dont actually "need" them..

thanks for the tip... i dont think tis the contacts because it sarter fine before i did the fuel filter which i took the starter out to get at!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Check timing on the one that quit running. If it won't start with starting fluid and it has good hot spark the timing must be off??

The other one, You will need to do a volt check on the main starter terminal while trying to crank to see if there is a great voltage drop through the battery cable. Also if you really shorted the battery bad you might have ruined the battery. Have it tested at your auto parts store- they can also test the starter. This is assuming by your other posts that you are getting the solenoid voltage from the key showing up on the starter.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

I would definitely have the battery and starter checked. I did the same thing you did on my Jeep, mine was the Fusible link....I had never heard of a Fusible link until I blew it....I didn' t hit my head, but I jumped back! Sounds like you have ruled that out though....

Love the blue 4Runner by the way!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 AM

yea I loce it too and think it would make me a nice trail rig...rreally don't wanna junk them immm tooo attached

Quick Reply: 2 broken runners.. need help focusing and trouble shooting.