86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2.4 Turbo Diesel Problem Plz Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.4 Turbo Diesel Problem Plz Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI i recently got my first 4 runner it is a 1986 2.4 TURBO DIESEL but now i am having problems with it, i was on my way home driving down the hwy after 4 hours in the bush having some fun and then all of a sudden it shut down,
i rolled to a stop and tried to re start it but no luck,
i had just filled it up in the morning so fuel was not a problem and
the battery was ok (until i made it go flat trying to start it) so i made shore the timing belt had not broken (timing light on the dash is always on?

previous owner said he got the belt changed and the light still stayed on ?)

could my problem be the diesel injector pump?

i don't know much about diesel so any ideas on what it could be

Last edited by coupehq; 06-25-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:51 AM

Sorry mate, most of us are in the US and won't be able to help much with your Diesel. We'll drool on it a lot, though - maybe that'll help? We only get gas motors over here, unfortunately. Just about everyone would love to have a diesel right about now, however!

There's a couple of Aussies around on the board and a couple guys that know a bit about diesels so hopefully somebody can chime in with something helpful.

Either way, welcome and good luck!

Last edited by GV27; 06-25-2007 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

I was just about to say that. If you haven't you might want to check the t-belt and if you can check for fuel pressure. Give us some more info on what it's doing.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:49 AM

Hi there! I'm in Canada and have a 2.4 2LTE as well. To reset the timing belt light, remove the little little plug (to the left of the trip button) from your gauge cluster. Use a long cocktail stick (or other) and press the little button.
not sure hoe to test a diesel pump..are those mechanecal? Let me know how you make out.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:56 AM

I didn't know you didn't have diesel engines there in 4 runners i will post up picks soon

thanks for the tip on the light i will try that on the weekend when i go back to my mates place and try to get it running, i tried yesterday but the battery went flat so i have charged it now and go back on the weekend i will keep you guys updated,

one thing i noticed where the fuel filter is there has a plunger /pump there to bring up the fuel pressure when i pump this a few times it goes firm then 30 sec later it is easy to push again are they ment to stay hard ? is this losing pressure and maybe sucking in air or something? any way i will update on the week end cheers

Last edited by coupehq; 06-28-2007 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:28 AM

images

here are some picks of my 4 runner on the morning befor it broke down, i will take som picks of the engine bay and post them soon

Name:  DSC00287.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  69.7 KB
Name:  DSC00288.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  65.2 KB
Name:  DSC00289.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  63.8 KB
Name:  DSC00291.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  77.0 KB
Name:  DSC00292.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  66.3 KB
Name:  DSC00300.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  135.9 KB
Name:  DSC00301.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  129.3 KB
Name:  DSC00302.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  117.6 KB
Name:  DSC003031.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  Random-001.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  31.1 KB

Last edited by coupehq; 06-29-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:49 AM

nice looking 4runner
heres a link that may help you http://www.toyotadieselmadness.com/
Old 06-28-2007, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
nice looking 4runner
heres a link that may help you http://www.toyotadieselmadness.com/
thanks mate i will have a look 2moro as that link doesnot seem to be working at the moment
Old 06-28-2007, 07:26 AM

Alright - now I'm extra jealous. Sweet Runner!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome mate!
I seem to remeber from my old 87 owner's manual that the diesel has a valve or a remomvable cup near the fuel filter on the firewall to drain water contamination from the system. It sounds to me like this might be one of your problems you might need to drain it I recall that this was a recommended periodic maintenance item for the 2.4LT engines...

another possible source is a little more involved to check you might have a a few "outback souvieniers" in your tank cloging up your primary filter sock over the fuel pump intake. When the tank gets low the crud gets sucked up against it a the fuel flow is retarded or stopped entirely... after you add fuel the junk is "swirled" away for a while till the next time... to check this you would need to drop the whole tank of the frame and remove the fuel pump/level sensor assembly and visually look inside... if you do this be careful a problem we have up here is that the fuel line banjo nuts get corroded along with the fuel lines and they can almost fall apart the moment you start messing with them...

Hope this helped cheers Aviator
Old 06-29-2007, 01:21 AM

thanks for the info i will give it a shot
Old 06-29-2007, 06:28 AM

did that link load for you ?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:51 AM

I don't have a diesel Toyota but do have a TDi VW. Here goes. The likely culprit is the fuel. The previous post is absolutely correct about the fuel being cut off by junk in the tank, water, etc. Check to see if fuel moves easily through the fuel line to the fuel filter. Figure out a way to see if you can draw fuel into a glass container prior to the filter. Now let that sit and see if water separates to the bottom. You may have gotten a bad load of fuel which was contaminated with water. There should be some sort of water drain on the filter as they typically also operate as the water separator for the system. If, as I suspect, the fuel is water fouled then the whole filter is probably filled with it. If that is the problem, replace the filter and get rid of that tank of fuel and start with a fresh tank of fuel. There may be an internal plunger in the separator that prevents the water contaminated fuel from proceeding to the injection pump - thus no fuel flow and your engine cuts off.

If it was the timing belt then you will have to have a qualified mechanic fix it as injection pump timing is a complicated subject which requires many specialized tools and some expensive diagnostic equipment.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:54 AM

Take a look at your engine shut down solonoid. I have seen those get shorted or randomly stuck in the off possision.
When it did shut down on you, was it running smooth or did it splutter a few times and then die. Had you noticed the power being less than expected at all.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
did that link load for you ?
yea id did, i had a look around and then started a thread thanks for that there is plenty of info on diesel
Old 06-29-2007, 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=Victor;50562479]I don't have a diesel Toyota but do have a TDi VW. Here goes. The likely culprit is the fuel.

thanks i will put some in a glass and have a look for water, the other day i did drain the fuel fillter but i just tryed to start it and thats when i killed the battery, i am hopeing to try get it going 2moro but my work told me today i have to be on call for 2moro so i hope i dont have to go in and work

i will keep you informed
Old 06-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by FirstGenTankota
Take a look at your engine shut down solonoid. I have seen those get shorted or randomly stuck in the off possision.
When it did shut down on you, was it running smooth or did it splutter a few times and then die. Had you noticed the power being less than expected at all.
well ive only had it for 2 weeks but its always had like a slight flat spot at about 2000rpm but once it passed that point it just picked up and went strong.

I was on the highway for about 5 -10 min doing 100kms or 60 mph and it just stopped dead no warning at all,

the only thing i can think of is when i had it in 4L going through some awesome steep tracks and after some water crossings it did blow some smoke like it was running rich but i just assumed it was ok/standard as i was giving it a hard time and it did clear out. as for power being less than normal i don't really know i don't think it was but i could be wrong.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:36 PM

I dont have a diesel in my 4runner, but i do have one in the HEMTT i use every day. Sometimes afterdraining the fuel water seperator the fuel system looses pressure. We have to hook a pressurizing(sp?) cap to the tank to re-pressure the fuel system for it to start.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:36 AM

whhhooo hoooo it runs now there was a green wire broken at the pump, it was a mission to get to it but alot easier and cheaper than it being the pump, i just solderd it up and all ok now thanks every one for the info and tips

now i can get back to finding out what the slight nocking noise is when i first start it, its only there until it warms up then its gone but all good she runs now so im happy, once again thanks heeeeeeps everyone
Old 07-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

ooooiii mate! Glad to hear you got her going... so it was the fuel pump ground wire was the culprit eh?...

As far as the knocking noise goes I don't know on the cat I drive at work it knocks a bit on start up but quiets down once warm this is normal for it all part and parcel of the diesel experiance... I'd expect it's the same for the toyota...

Glad we could help Cheers Aviator

Quick Reply: 2.4 Turbo Diesel Problem Plz Help