86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st post on here, new 1992 pickup owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st post on here, new 1992 pickup owner

Ok I jumped out of my bad ass Toyota Tundra and into a little pickup today. These are my observations so far.

Its HOTTTT the owner said he replaced the compressor but the truck barley blows cold AC. I have to get this fixed. He was saying their condenser should be replaced.
It has aftermarket wheel and its pretty hard to steer when going slow. Is there a power steering mod or replacement to make it turn easier?
I need a tachometer I cant deal with a manual and no tach. Whats the best idea to show RPMs?
My bench seat has had it. I feel like im sitting on the frame. Is there a kit to rebuild and re cover with new material?
I also need to reupholster the floor the grey plastic or vinyl on the floor looks bad. probabaly do the doors too.
It needs a speedo cable, stopped working at 176,000
It needs a clutch, grinds gears on downshift.
I paid $3500 for it.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:38 AM

No love on here huh? Guess Ill figure it out on my own.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
No love? Hardly.

AC is hit or miss. could be the compressor, could be no freon. Problem with these older Toyotas is they used R12, and R12 isn't made anymore. So you must convert to R134a ( which is usually about $300 bucks for a mechanic to do, not including if you need a new compressor or anything else )

Seeing that its a 2wd Toyota, most came with no power steering. You can convert to power steering. its easy enough. I'd go to pick n pull and yank off everything from the steering box, the return lines and the pump. Don't forget the pulley too. Get the belt, fill it with dex 3 ATF, and you'll be good to go.

Seating is easy in these Toyotas. if you can find bucket seats, they bolt right in from 89-95 pick ups and 90-95 4Runners. Then you can run a factory center console.

Tachometers are pretty easy. If you want factory SR5 gauges, there's plenty of write ups online on how to. If adding an aftermarket tach, even easier. Run it to your coil, give it 12v power and mount it. Done.

Speedo cable is pretty straight forward, if that's whats wrong with it. Replace it, done.

Carpet is cheap as well. order a carpet kit. pull yours out, lay it over the new carpet. make all necessary cuts. and install the new.

Clutch, I'd go with factory replacement. There's aftermarkets out there, but I wouldn't do it on a 2wd pickup. it would just be overkill unless you plan on running a heavy power house in there.

My question to you, why'd you get out of the tundra?

Hope this helps,

Welcome to YT.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by djtroy
Ok I jumped out of my bad ass Toyota Tundra and into a little pickup today. These are my observations so far. Its HOTTTT the owner said he replaced the compressor but the truck barley blows cold AC. I have to get this fixed. He was saying their condenser should be replaced. It has aftermarket wheel and its pretty hard to steer when going slow. Is there a power steering mod or replacement to make it turn easier? I need a tachometer I cant deal with a manual and no tach. Whats the best idea to show RPMs? My bench seat has had it. I feel like im sitting on the frame. Is there a kit to rebuild and re cover with new material? I also need to reupholster the floor the grey plastic or vinyl on the floor looks bad. probabaly do the doors too. It needs a speedo cable, stopped working at 176,000 It needs a clutch, grinds gears on downshift. I paid $3500 for it.
Check the freon in the a/c.

Power steering pump working? Full of fluid?

Best idea to show RPM's? Yea a tachometer.

Buy a new seat, bench or bucket.

Grinding gears a the synchronizes in the trans not the clutch.

Sounds like a $1000 dollar truck to me.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:34 PM

I sold the tundra because at 9mpg it was beginning to be a little much. Plus I figured at 90k it was a good time to get out of it.

So if the gears grind when downshifting you think the clutch might be ok?
Old 08-08-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
No love? Hardly.

AC is hit or miss. could be the compressor, could be no freon. Problem with these older Toyotas is they used R12, and R12 isn't made anymore. So you must convert to R134a ( which is usually about $300 bucks for a mechanic to do, not including if you need a new compressor or anything else )

Seeing that its a 2wd Toyota, most came with no power steering. You can convert to power steering. its easy enough. I'd go to pick n pull and yank off everything from the steering box, the return lines and the pump. Don't forget the pulley too. Get the belt, fill it with dex 3 ATF, and you'll be good to go.

Seating is easy in these Toyotas. if you can find bucket seats, they bolt right in from 89-95 pick ups and 90-95 4Runners. Then you can run a factory center console.

Tachometers are pretty easy. If you want factory SR5 gauges, there's plenty of write ups online on how to. If adding an aftermarket tach, even easier. Run it to your coil, give it 12v power and mount it. Done.

Speedo cable is pretty straight forward, if that's whats wrong with it. Replace it, done.

Carpet is cheap as well. order a carpet kit. pull yours out, lay it over the new carpet. make all necessary cuts. and install the new.

Clutch, I'd go with factory replacement. There's aftermarkets out there, but I wouldn't do it on a 2wd pickup. it would just be overkill unless you plan on running a heavy power house in there.

My question to you, why'd you get out of the tundra?

Hope this helps,

Welcome to YT.

Thanks man