86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st Gen 4Runner Front Bumper Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
1st Gen 4Runner Front Bumper Brackets

Hello, I'm trying to figure out what all is required for a 3-piece bumper.

The 1986 4Runner I bought did not have a front bumper or any brackets. I went to a salvage yard and picked up a very ugly center piece so I could at least have front turn signals. I was able to pick up the right and left center brackets. I think they are 52105 and 52106 in the diagram below. They look like mirror images of each other. Those where the only brackets visible.

I am not sure what I need to attach the end caps. It looks like something was cut off from where the front most bolt of the quarter panels. Also is their a preferred place to buy a new bumper and end caps? They appear on ebay from Autodepo. Do they fit alright? I ask because I need to "persuade" one of the frame mounts back into position and a properly fitting bumper will help.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The end caps are just glued on. I have a few end caps out on the interstate somewhere so now I bolt mine on with carriage bolts which match the factory bumper bolts and looks like it came from the factory that way. The end caps have a metal tab on them and I remove the metal tab then bolt them to the bumper. I have used factory end caps in the past and ebay. Ebays work great and look great.
Name:  bumper%201_zpshkr3nx4c.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  20.0 KB
Old 01-06-2016, 07:20 AM

Thanks Terry, that is a great idea. I am also concerned about how the outer edge of the end cap is attached. Something has been cut off. I think I have a portion of the inner fender cut off. I'm pointing to the location.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are missing two metal parts there.

If you remove that existing bolt, the remaining cut piece will drop out from behind it.

That IS the piece with a hole for securing the side of the black plastic bumper end.

Now, not pictured in the diagram, is a horizontal 3/8" rod securing the bottom of said missing piece, back to the end of the bumper bar, at the lower hole as pictured.

But honestly, this is some flimsy construction. You could definitely duplicate similar function using some perforated metal strap instead of trying to source those parts.

But-

The carriage bolt method above is definitely an improvement, and allows the plastic to flex IF you ever stuff that front wheel enough to clip it with a tire. I would go that route before trying to restore the metal bits. In fact I'd discard the pieces you're seeking and do it his way if i was motivated to improve my own!

Unless you're rebuilding a showroom queen that is... Then i could understand wanting it original.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:45 PM

Thank you very much! I was getting no where with the epc nor the service manual. I knew something was missing though. I just couldn't visualize how sub-assembly 52066 fit in. It seems it is only used in the 1985-1986 4Runners.

While I'm not trying to achieve a factory level restoration, I do want it to look nice. I will keep my eye out for the factory brackets at the salvage yard just to settle my own curiosity. I'll make my own brackets for lateral support in the mean time. I'll also use carriage bolts for the front. I did order up the front bumper and end caps from Auto Depot. I hope I have the frame bracket pounded into place. I guess I'll find out.

I need to start a build thread.