Originally Posted by 92 TOY
thanks man
your welcome
Old 09-04-2010, 04:54 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by buckz6319
your welcome

of course, now i just have to read it all.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
of course, now i just have to read it all.
yep I know the feeling
Old 09-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is gonna be of GREAT help!

thanks ALOT.

if it wasn't for this...i would not have known about the washer that is supposed to be on the backside of the ilder pulley

gotta go find that washer now lol
Old 09-04-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is gonna be of GREAT help!

thanks ALOT.

if it wasn't for this...i would not have known about the washer that is supposed to be on the backside of the ilder pulley

glad I could help!......good luck finding that wsher
Old 09-19-2010, 02:29 PM

I FOUND THAT WASHER! lol finally...my motor is back together now..all i gotta do is install the slave cylinder (mine screwed itself up??) after that..do the radiator fan and belts..then put some fluids in! and trace down a wiring problem :/
Old 09-19-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is gonna be of GREAT help! thanks ALOT.

Glad you found the washer.

Mine is an 88 so I had the mechanical tensioner with spring and brackets.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:15 PM

I FOUND THAT WASHER! lol finally...my motor is back together now..all i gotta do is install the slave cylinder (mine screwed itself up??) after that..do the radiator fan and belts..then put some fluids in! and trace down a wiring problem :/
I'm glad that I took the pic of that washer
Old 09-19-2010, 04:22 PM

yes i am too!!!!!

i have a question though, i've been trying to clean out my oil cooler for about 20mins...and it's not going too well, instead of putting it back on the motor and possibly having freaking bearing shavings all throughout my motor again.

can i just install an extra oil filter in its place????? and of course plug the 2 lines for the coolant

i will probably install the oil cooler in there...if i can ever figure out a way to clean it :/

so if anyone knows of a good way to clean the oil cooler..then let me know asap!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 PM

gosh I'm not sure about that one...do a search on that topic maybe you'll find something
Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM

i've looked in a dozen different threads with nothing :/
Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, you can put two filters on the engine. Same concept on either port.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 AM

Great write up! I'm a rookie shade tree mechanic, so a write up like this is very informative. Now I have to work up the nerve to start cracking bolts and getting my '89 4runner running right.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by csc89
Great write up! I'm a rookie shade tree mechanic, so a write up like this is very informative. Now I have to work up the nerve to start cracking bolts and getting my '89 4runner running right.
thanks for the comment!....I'm sure you will do good, just remember you take it slow and ask a lot of questions...
Old 05-11-2011, 10:13 AM

awesome write up!! i do have one question though. was there any particular reason for not putting the top cover back on over the cam pulleys? have you had any problems with mud or rocks kicking up in to your belt?

thanks ,mhmacw
Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by mhmacw
awesome write up!! i do have one question though. was there any particular reason for not putting the top cover back on over the cam pulleys? have you had any problems with mud or rocks kicking up in to your belt?

thanks ,mhmacw
thanks, it has been a while ago that I had that 4runner,however I do think that I left that timing belt cover off because, if you don't torque the bolts correctly for the #2 idler...it will leak water around the gasket...

my opinion leaving off the cover would make it easier to see if indeed that gasket was not leaking..once I drove it for a few days with cover off and was comfortable with my work and saw no water leaks i buttoned it back up and went on my way

later I did develop a water leak under the intake manifold on a tube that runs from the bottom of the water pump to the rear heater fitting ...what a PITA that was to repair that leak..
Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM

rotton luck on the under manifold leak. wonder why they routed the hose back up to the intake? probably to put them all through the same hole in the firewall i imagine.

about 15k miles ago i changed the water pump and timing belt on mine. it started making that pump bearing noise so i ordered up the pulley kit. thinking i had it made i sat back planing to be easy on it till i had a few days to spare.

well the wife took it to work.... I tear it down not really paying much attention...as i've done it once right...well i skipped right past the false pump bracket that was seized tight. only after i had the entire front of the block exposed did i notice that the water pump was spinning free lol. ah well i'm here...swapped it all out and am now awaiting anxiously the arrival of my new false pump.

after that i can enjoy some new lift recently installed that i haven't yet had the pleasure of taking out the driveway and a set of reman injectors that weren't nearly as daunting a task as i had worked my self in thinking.

Whilst i was in there i noticed one of the cams was 2 teeth out of time. as i sit here i cant say that i in fact checked to see which cam it was. i recently had a set of plugs put in at my buddies shop (big hands..100$ let the pro do it lol) due to a miss that developed after a bad slide off a road into some serious snow this winter in the midwest. yes i got out on my own lol but it was a bunch of rough back and fourth and a hard hat with no headgear (story for a later time lol) that only screams volumes of the toughness of toyota even after 561k miles... any way back on track...when you skip a tooth which cylinder is affected first? and how many teeth do you get to skip before it wont run?

this site and its wealth of knowledge is my new best friend.

thanks, dan
Old 05-11-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by mhmacw
rotton luck on the under manifold leak. wonder why they routed the hose back up to the intake? probably to put them all through the same hole in the firewall i imagine.

about 15k miles ago i changed the water pump and timing belt on mine. it started making that pump bearing noise so i ordered up the pulley kit. thinking i had it made i sat back planing to be easy on it till i had a few days to spare.

well the wife took it to work.... I tear it down not really paying much attention...as i've done it once right...well i skipped right past the false pump bracket that was seized tight. only after i had the entire front of the block exposed did i notice that the water pump was spinning free lol. ah well i'm here...swapped it all out and am now awaiting anxiously the arrival of my new false pump.

after that i can enjoy some new lift recently installed that i haven't yet had the pleasure of taking out the driveway and a set of reman injectors that weren't nearly as daunting a task as i had worked my self in thinking.

Whilst i was in there i noticed one of the cams was 2 teeth out of time. as i sit here i cant say that i in fact checked to see which cam it was. i recently had a set of plugs put in at my buddies shop (big hands..100$ let the pro do it lol) due to a miss that developed after a bad slide off a road into some serious snow this winter in the midwest. yes i got out on my own lol but it was a bunch of rough back and fourth and a hard hat with no headgear (story for a later time lol) that only screams volumes of the toughness of toyota even after 561k miles... any way back on track...when you skip a tooth which cylinder is affected first? and how many teeth do you get to skip before it wont run?

this site and its wealth of knowledge is my new best friend.

thanks, dan
Well, sorry to here about your yoda...however you will get her back with some work...they don't die you know
Now the question about the skipping a tooth and knowing which cylinder or cylinders are affected first? I will let some pros chime in on that one, because even though I can do mechanic work on my own stuff and a few close friends, I feel like I can't answer that question correctly...

now I will change the subject for a second, if you ever have to change out the cams and you want to not buy a special tool or even make one...here is what I did to remove my cams for a headgasket change out using a chain

good luck!...and post up on this thread..
Old 05-11-2011, 06:24 PM

now thats ingenuity! i used a piece of pipe with a nut welded to the end. then some all thread and a piece of an old belt. picture a oil filter clamp but one that is tightened around the cam sprocket. then a strong 3/8 impact gun and the bolts fly right out. im not much of a special tool buyer my self. if theres a way i generally find it.

i guess i look on the bright side as all pulleys tensioners and pumps will be fresh when this repair is finished and we all know peace of mind is priceless.

thanks for the info, this is about to become a hobby of mine. i have built may chevys and a ford or two but honestly this toy is one of the funnest things if gotten into lately. i have some travel for work coming and think it might have found a new place in my love of 4wd

thanks, dan
Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 PM

the more i look at these pictures the more i feel like im missing something. what concerns do you have to pin down the cams?

Quick Reply: 1995 3vze Timing belt removal and replacement "With Lots Of Pics"