86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1994 truck 4X4 V6, oil leak ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1994 truck 4X4 V6, oil leak ????

Hey, I am new to this site and have read alot of good info here. I have a 1994 4X4 with a V6 M/trans. I also have the two Toyota Service manuals for this truck which have been real helpful...I have a severe oil leak that looks as if it is coming from the passenger side of the motor,up front. After driving for a few mins. and checking under the truck, oil is dripping real bad. I was told by a mechanic that the front main seal and or a cam seal was leaking. $800 to replace the cam seals,crank (front)seal,water pump and timing belt and maybe a couple of more minor stuff..I decided to try this myself... $$$$I have pulled everything down to the water pump. The thing is as much oil that has been dripping it seems there would be more oil around the crank seal. The cam seals look OK , no oil on the cam pulleys, and no oil on the timing belt..I can't really tell where the oil is coming from.I was told that I could put the timing belt back on and run the engine for a couple of minutes to look for the leak. Any thoughts here?Also, Tell me if I have screwed up here. When I removed the timing belt, I did not TDC #1 piston..I did put marks on everything, marked both cam pulleys to the back of the timing cover, marked the crank pulley to the timing marks...When I removed the timing belt both the cams turned a little(unloaded tension)...I was told that I might have screwed up and could damage a valve if not careful, I also had problems getting the crank pulley off and the crank shaft turned about a 1/3 of a turn while trying to remove, I made a jig out of 1" keystock and bolted to the pulley to hold and after breaking one socket it came off...I know this is long , but I need someone who can tell me the in's and out's of doing this job, I would like to pressure wash the front of engine and then maybe run it for a min or two and see if I can find the leak. Also, there is oil all around the starter and in that area..I might also replace the oil pan gaskests but, do not want to pull the front Diff. so not sure yet..Truck has had a new timing belt put on awhile back,and I think it went in for a recall (1st owner) something to do with a valve cover or head gasket not sure right now,.. has 127,000 miles, engine is very clean...bought back in Oct/08 knowing of oil leak...Please help....Any thoughts are welcomed...Robert
Old 03-20-2009, 06:22 AM

Hi Robert, I have a 1994 4 runner 3vze that I just replaced the front main seal on. I had alot of dirt and oil all around the oil pump ( where the crank shaft comes out) and oil in the top and bottom timing covers as well as the fan pulley bracket. I didn't notice oil on the cam pulleys, but there was oil on the timing belt. For the amount I was leaking ( 1 quart per 350 miles or so) I thought I would find more oil in the timing cover. I guess most of it is still in my driveway, haha. The v6 is a non interference engine so even though the cams moved you shouldn't have any valve problems. I did notice most of my oil going down the passenger side as well, that was probably because of the fan and the direction of its rotation. The oil pan is put on with sealant and no gasket from the factory. When I rebuilt the v6 for my pickup the kit came with a cork gasket, but if you try to put it on the screw are to short on the oil pan to bolt it back up. I used the high temp copper silicone and it worked great. My 4 runner's oil leak has stopped since changing the front main seal.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:22 PM

Need more reply's please

bjslade0269....Thanks for the info...I was wondering about the gasket material...I hope I want have to do this (oil pan gasket)...I am selling the truck when finished??? I have sprayed degreaser and washed the front. I think I will run it for a min or two to get a visual.......Thanks again....Robert
Old 03-20-2009, 12:47 PM

I had a bad oil leak up front and it was the cam seals. i marked them the same way u did. i also marked the belt. after replacing those my problem was fixed.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Timing belt install tricks???

Anyone got a trick as to install the timing belt...keeping the tension of the cams,while doing so??? Thanks

swapped89, how hard is it to replace the cam seals?

Thanks for the help

Robert
Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM

I have the same problem with mine, tore it down and couldnt find any obvious place that it was leaking. Put it back together and found trans line leaking (dirty trans oil) thought that was it but still leaves puddles after long drive and no noticable oil loss on dipstick. I don't know what to think.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:13 PM

Smile Ran Today found left cam seal leaking

Ran Today found left cam seal leaking