Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1994 Toyota Pickup Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 Toyota Pickup Transmission Problems

I have a 94 Toyota Pickup 3.0 ltr 6 cylinder, 5 speed manual. Since the last time I went offroading I have been having problem with the trucks transmission.

When I drove back from offroading everything seemed fine and then as I was driving around town I noticed that it was getting harder and harder to get the truck in gear. The engine would rev up alot before finally going into gear. Finally I was unable to get the truck in gear at all but I noticed the fluid for the hydraulic clutch was low so I filled the fluid.

After that the truck would go into gear but only if I let the clutch out very slowly and gave it very little gas. The next thing I tried was to bleed the hydraulic clutch. This seemed to help things for a few minutes but now I cannot even use the gear shifter unless the engine is off.

It seemed like things worked much better before I bleed the clutch so I having a feeling I may have done it incorrectly. If anyone has any advice on what might be going on it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 PM

Sounds like a bad master or slave cylinder.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:39 AM

Well I replaced the slave and master cylinder and everything seemed to work fine for about two weeks. Yesterday for the first time I took the truck out on the highway and was driving it at 70mph for about 10min. when I got off the highway and took the truck out of 5th gear I immediately noticed that it was having the the same problem as before. I could not get the truck to go into 1st gear or reverse with the engine running. I can turn the engine off, put it in first gear, and then shift up with the car moving. I got the truck home and let it set for a few hours. When I went back out to try it again with the engine cool it seemed to work with no problems. However, when the engine got hot again I noticed the problems start to reemerge. 1st gear and reverse fail first with the other gears becoming increasingly hard to use as the engine gets hotter. The transmission shop told me that I need to replace the clutch, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I do that.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 AM

Your pilot bearing may be screwed. Did you go in deep water?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 AM

I had a similar problem and it was due to a cracked bracket under the dash that hold the brake/clutch peddles.

It flexed so much that the would hardly even disengage the clutch and I ended up pulling the assy and welding up the crack and added extra plate to stiffen it up. Also look at where the assy mounts/bolts to under the dash, as I foundthat one of the mounts was also cracked/missing.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 AM

drk1, do you have a pic of that exact bracket, I have an almost identical thread (with Pictures)as this one, but I could never figure it out?? ....at this moment it sits on my driveway until I get the money to take it for the clutch replacement?? ,....its kinda cool...because people keep driving buy to make offers to buy it for me! No Way!!...
Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 AM

Sorry but I do not have a picture of the bracket. I did find your thread, but I can't seem to ever see any pictures posted on Yota Tech... Probably something to do with my computer here at work.

Try the 1993 Toyota Pick-up Service Manual (on line here somewhere?) under the Clutch Section, Clutch Inspection... and the bracket is show in the third picture from the top. Shows how to inspect clutch start system. You'll see where the clutch attaches to a bracket which pokes threw the firewall to the Clutch master cylinder. It's a very tight space to work in and it will test your resolve.

OR try to cut and paste this... http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../4inspecti.pdf

Sorry again for not providing better info.

Thanx
Old 07-10-2008, 12:56 PM

I did hit some pretty deep water
Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Okay, thanks_ ill ck it out!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:08 PM

My clutch pedal bracket broke and from what I've seen, this seems to be an issue quite frequently. My question is, does anyone know where I can get one that's stronger than the stock bracket and if anyone has a part number for one because I cannot find one anywhere online. Can't even find an OEM bracket, if that's the proper part name.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by acesandeights
My clutch pedal bracket broke and from what I've seen, this seems to be an issue quite frequently. My question is, does anyone know where I can get one that's stronger than the stock bracket and if anyone has a part number for one because I cannot find one anywhere online. Can't even find an OEM bracket, if that's the proper part name.
You can grab a new clutch pedal bracket from your local dealership. They're not that expensive,really.

Then find someone good with a welder and have it reinforced to prevent future failure.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 PM

any tips on exactly how to reinforce it or just weld the piss out of it?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:15 AM

I am having a similar problem with my 94 tacoma however I am able to put it into gear and change from gear to gear if the engine is off. I have a lot of trouble getting it into gear and changing from gear to gear when I am driving. The gears are grinding as well. I am a novice, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Odus
I am having a similar problem with my 94 tacoma however I am able to put it into gear and change from gear to gear if the engine is off. I have a lot of trouble getting it into gear and changing from gear to gear when I am driving. The gears are grinding as well. I am a novice, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Verify that the clutch master and slave cylinders are not leaking, that the soft rubber hose isn't leaking. Try bleeding the slave cylinder. Grab a flashlight and look up at the clutch pedal bracket. If it's split/torn/ripped/cracked, it will cause the same symptoms as a bad slave cylinder because it's flexing, thus not allowing full movement of the plunger in the clutch master.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks. i will check it out.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 PM

1989 yotar

My tacoma is having the same problem. its a 89 frame with 93 front clip and bed. i recently bought it an it gets to the point ware it does not go into first gear, and grinds going into reverse. i was hoping someone could help me out. This is my first yota and i no really nothing about them. its 5 speed trans with 3.0 motor in it. im also bnot sure if it is the motor that came in the truck stock