Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1994 Toyota pickup rear bumper with integrated receiver options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1994 Toyota pickup rear bumper with integrated receiver options?

[update]
ok since i posted this i found the sticky with parts links, i think dave'z offroad makes the best option i've seen so far that doesn't hang down super low, anyone have these?
Does anyone make square tube bumpers?

[end update]

Hello,

I have a near stock 1994 pickup and I'm looking to add a rear hitch, the only issue being I really don't want to add a drag point, so I'm either looking for a truly hidden hitch that leaves room for a 31" spare, and doesn't end up lower than my stock rear bumper (except where the 2" receiver is, ie support tubes well hidden) or a new rear bumper with integrated 2" receiver.

I've already done the mandatory google and forum searches, the smittybuilt TB80RH came up as an option but isn't for sale anywhere. The truck is fairly beat so I wouldn't mind a bumper that gets beat easily, and with the 22re light weight would be fine with me. I don't plan on towing anything heavy, at least not far. Small utility trailers would be most likely, but I wouldn't mind knowing that I could move a 3000lb trailer a few miles.

Any commercial options left? Anyone making custom bumpers inexpensively?

Last edited by gunkl; 06-16-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 AM

Another option for you. This is the one I want to go with when I'm ready. And it's rated Class 2.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:00 AM

yea i saw that one, it looks like it hangs down pretty low? looks like i might end up dragging that more than the stock bumper?

did a lot of reading about "Dave'z Offroad" and it looks like a lot of people have had bad (and some good) experiences with their timeliness. Funny I've not seen any negative comments about the quality of their work, just a lot of lag on production and what seems like too many cases of lack of responsiveness to customers. So I'm not feeling so good about asking them for anything, I'd guess if anything went wrong on the fabrication build I'd have to fix it myself without their help.

these guys appear to do some nice work, and might do a square one for me.

Originally Posted by daved5150
Another option for you. This is the one I want to go with when I'm ready. And it's rated Class 2.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Name:  IMAG0279_zps1uffvduv.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  100.3 KB[/URL]

Here's mine. Built from 4" square tube with an integrated receiver hitch. Bobbed the frame while I was at it and welded flat plate to the frame to mount it.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:18 AM

thats not bad. i had one for my previous truck (tacoma) and had them do a 45 degree angle from the rear towards the front (yours is tapered top to bottom)

careful of them pointy edges.

a little more side/corner protection is in order, i think..

Originally Posted by 85sr5excab

Here's mine. Built from 4" square tube with an integrated receiver hitch. Bobbed the frame while I was at it and welded flat plate to the frame to mount it.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:18 AM

I really don't think the 4xinnovations one hangs down that low but yea I guess it hangs some. Fabbing one out of square tube with the receiver tube through it will definitely give you more clearance. Here's the one from Marlin. They are out of stock at the moment but you could probably have more supports welded to the rear to offer more strength because Marlin doesn't rate his because it only mounts in two places. But it looks like it tucks up pretty tight. Keep looking here and other forums as they are plenty of bumper threads. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Thing is shipping on these gets quite expensive.$$$

Then building one of anything gets expensive.

Have you talked to any of your local fab shops

Put a figure on what you call cheap Because cheap and fabrication never go good together.

If your close to Eastern Pa I could build what you want once you refine it some more.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by gunkl
thats not bad. i had one for my previous truck (tacoma) and had them do a 45 degree angle from the rear towards the front (yours is tapered top to bottom)

careful of them pointy edges.

a little more side/corner protection is in order, i think..
The points are actually rounded a bit, no dead sharp points. And the ends of the bumper line up with the start of the 45's on my flatbed. So u would run into the flatbed at the same time as the bumper, unless of course ur under the flatbed. I have taillights that will be going in on top of the bumper at some point and the housings are 45'd so that will eliminate the point on the bumpers as well. My only complaint is that I'm going to need like a 12" drop hitch to pull any kind of a trailer lol.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:35 PM

I'm in CA.
I used a local fab shop before, I was hoping that for the older pickups things would just be more readily available.. Guess they're already going into the "Rare" category these days.

Was just looking over most of the tube designs and they really aren't rated for class 3 towing. Class 2 is very sufficient. I still prefer the square look.

I may talk to the same fab guys that did the rear bumper before. They were *very* expensive though, I paid them $1,400 10 years ago for custom rock sliders and a rear bumper, and none of it was very complicated. They usually do more involved work, like building race cars from scratch to brake the land speed record. On the up side, their work was solid.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Thing is shipping on these gets quite expensive.$$$

Then building one of anything gets expensive.

Have you talked to any of your local fab shops

Put a figure on what you call cheap Because cheap and fabrication never go good together.

If your close to Eastern Pa I could build what you want once you refine it some more.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the 4xinnovations bumper on the back of my 4Runner, and I love it. It definitely does not hang down any more than the stock bumper, but you probably don't gain much clearance with it either. But, it is very beefy.

When I was looking, I think it was the only one that was actually rated for towing (Lots of them with a chunk of 2" square welded in the middle.....).

Not the greatest pic of the bumper.....but it's something....
Name:  IMG_20130921_120106.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  156.0 KB
Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 AM

well i'm not much a fan of the tube bumper options, especially since most aren't even tow rated.

The rear corner of my bed is pretty well smashed in, I'm thinking about having the corners cut off and getting a custom built square wrap around bumper built. Maybe 4x2 square tubing for the rear bumper itself, integrated 2" receiver, shackle mounts, and have it wrap around the rear corners.

I'm guessing something that heavy duty, as long as it has frame mounts should be plenty hefty for towing up to 500lbs tongue weight. (ie class 3 although i'd never tow anything that heavy far, since the 4-banger wont have it)