Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1994 4runner no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 4runner no start

Hey guys, normally i wouldn't ask, but this one is really kicking my butt. It's got spark, it's got fuel injector pulse, it's got fuel being pumped in(i even tried starting it on propane), it's got good compression and it still won't start. Ideas?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:06 PM

Is there anything you changed on it recently? Or did it just happen out of no where?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM

It was leaking water, replaced a timing belt and water pump. Done plenty 3.0's before. Nothing went wrong.
I've tried it all. New plugs, new distributor, fuel pump jumper. nothing works.

if you let it sit for a few hours, it makes a chug-chug on the first couple seconds of cranking and doesn't do it again until it sits for a while.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
this is a 3.0 ?.. is the ignitor bolted down ,grounded ?.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:55 PM

is it a 3.0, and i have verified that igniter and coil are bolted to the bracket and the bracket is ground. have tried new coil too
Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
air fuel spark compression.

If its not running then its missing one of those. Was it running before the timing belt? did it run after? How did you verify it had fuel and spark? Have you checked compression?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ground cables? on back fire wall and one on drivers side wheel well,
flooding out?
do u have a strong odor of gas when trying to start?
bolts in cams came off?
is the distributor moving?
dist 180 out?
timing marks off on cams or crank?
just some ideas of things that u might want to look for if u have not already done so.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
air fuel spark compression.

If its not running then its missing one of those. Was it running before the timing belt? did it run after? How did you verify it had fuel and spark? Have you checked compression?

I realize this. That's why I'm having such a hard time with this one. It was not running before I got it, because the battery was dead. Did not run after. I have injector pulse, and fuel pressure. I know it's sparking because it shocked the piss outta me. yeah, compression is over 135psi on all of em.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 PM

i dropped the distributor via fsm instructions, also.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
ground cables? on back fire wall and one on drivers side wheel well,
checked both

flooding out?
how would I check this? I have tried removing some vacuum lines (to lean it out) while cranking and no difference. Only time it even thinks about starting is when it sits for a while. and it hasn't started yet.

do u have a strong odor of gas when trying to start?
No.
bolts in cams came off
is the distributor moving?
cams are attached firmly. Otherwise I'd have poor or no compression. Distributor rotor is moving
dist 180 out?
I HIGHLY doubt it. i put my finger over cylinder number one with a spark plug out and turned til I felt compression. then I brought it up to TDC and dropped the distributor in with it pointing at number 1 on the cap.

timing marks off on cams or crank?
double checked. again, they're right on. and like I said. Compression is real good.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 AM

How long was the vehicle sitting since it last ran? Any chance ANY water could have gotten inside the motor? Take the intake boot off of the throttle body. Try to start, any backfire?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM

I don't think so?
I just drained all the fuel and put healthy stuff in, no difference. I changed the Mass Air Meter and now the tach bounces occasionally. I'm waiting for a new fuel filter to get here and see if that makes a difference.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM

check the cold start injector. the one thats on the manifold. if its not spraying then these things have a hard time starting.

when u did the finger on clyinder to set tdc did u check on the front of the motor to make sure u where on? just never heard of doing it that way is all. and with everything u are saying it sounds like its 180 out or not in the right spot.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 AM

I could swear up and down that I am correct, but the deal is.. it's still not starting. SOOOO I am going to have another look at the distributor. I've had 4 distributors in this rig total. ! new 3 known goods. I have also swapped the Mass Air Meter for known good unit because some birdy told me it's related to the cam/crank wiring. I was too lazy to look that up, so I tried swapping it out real quick. New fuel and fuel filter too. Still just won't do it.

justin_4Runner-- the harmonic balancer slipped on the crankshaft pulley I think. Because when I bring the truck up to number one, the marks are 30 degrees off or so. Maybe I'll try dropping it at that mark (even though I know it's wrong)
Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want to be sure you're at TDC on the compression stroke I would pull the upper timing belt cover off and turn the crank to line the marks on the cams up with the backing plate, like you did when you installed the Tbelt. (Assuming you're 100% sure that the crank timing mark is properly aligned when the cam marks are set--otherwise, pull the crank pulley and lower belt cover as well to check.) When the marks are set on the timing pulleys verify that the balancer mark lines up also, but the pulley marks are the ones to use if there is a discrepancy. Install the distributor per FSM and you can be positive that you have correct ignition timing.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 PM

i am going to re-re-re-re-re-reinstall the distributor after I write this. I have tried known good Circuit Opening Relay just now and tried pull-starting it the other day too. No luck on either!
Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Argggghhhhh

hey. I'm really struggling here. Anyone have any other ideas?

I redropped the distributor. Timing light even shows it right on.

Put a new battery in it last night, and still nothing.

The only funny thing I notice is that the fuel pump doesn't come on when you turn the key to on. But I can make it run by putting the jumper wire in the diagnostic connector? I was looking at the wiring diagram and the only thing I'm taking out of the circuit is the VAFM and the Circuit opening relay. Both I have swapped out for known good ones. and it refuses to start even with carb cleaner sprayed into the throttle body. What am I missing?

HELP ME! Before I burn it to the ground
Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 PM

yeah the fuel pump wont come on tell it feels air being pulled.. have u pulled the cold injectior to make sure that one is spraying?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:58 PM

yeah the fuel pump wont come on tell it feels air being pulled.. have u pulled the cold injectior to make sure that one is spraying?
hmmm. I put another cold start injector in it, but I have not pulled it out to check. So far, in my endless hours of testing, I haven't found anything that'll make this baby not start-- EXCEPT that it has weak injector pulse and weak crankshaft/camshaft signal. But like I said, I have tried distributor after distributor and no avail. I just checked the wiring from distributor to the computer and it's a-okay. I've got my buddy coming over with a computer as we speak, and we'll see if that gets her going... but somehow, I doubt it.....
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Would you believe I am having the EXACT same problem on my 93 hilux? I replaced head gaskets and re-assembled, she started right up and drove it about 5 miles home from my buddies shop. It ran ok but I knew the plugs were fouled out from the head gasket. Tried to start next morning and it just cranks, does not even try to start. Replaced plugs and still no start. I checked my timing and spark and fuel just like you have. All seems to be there but engine will not hit a lick...driving me insane!!!

Quick Reply: 1994 4runner no start