Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1994 4Runner 3.0 V6 not getting fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 4Runner 3.0 V6 not getting fuel

Hello please help there is a blizzard showing up tonight!! My 1994 4Runner ran great last night went to leave to go to waork today and she wont start just ranks and cranks. I sprayed some starting fluid into intake and she fired right up and ran for 5 secs. I think I am not getting fuel I dont hear a pump click or anything? I really dont want to change my fuel pump yet anyone give me some quick troubleshooting tips? Its is weird it has allways ran great and just nothing today.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Break open the fuel line that screws into the upper plenum next to cold start injector.'crank it over and see if fuel squirts out. If not then fuel pump is bad or lost connection or clogged filter
Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Break open the fuel line that screws into the upper plenum next to cold start injector....
Huh? No fuel line screws into the plenum. There is the line that goes to the cold start injector; you don't want to disconnect that because the crush washers are one-time use. Think you can get away with reusing them? We're talking about pressurized gasoline.

If you really want to test for fuel flow, you can remove the fuel return line at the fuel pressure regulator, and put it into a suitable container. If there's pressure in the rail fuel will gush out. You can then put it back; it's a low pressure line and so just uses hose clamps.

But if nothing comes out, you still don't know where to look. So do it the easy way. With key-on, engine off, jumper fp to B+ on the diagnostic connector. You should hear the fuel pump come on. Now try to start it. If it starts and runs, then you have a problem in the COR / VAF circuit. (which is where I'd put my bet)
Old 11-20-2013, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
Huh? No fuel line screws into the plenum. There is the line that goes to the cold start injector; you don't want to disconnect that because the crush washers are one-time use. Think you can get away with reusing them? We're talking about pressurized gasoline.

If you really want to test for fuel flow, you can remove the fuel return line at the fuel pressure regulator, and put it into a suitable container. If there's pressure in the rail fuel will gush out. You can then put it back; it's a low pressure line and so just uses hose clamps.

But if nothing comes out, you still don't know where to look. So do it the easy way. With key-on, engine off, jumper fp to B+ on the diagnostic connector. You should hear the fuel pump come on. Now try to start it. If it starts and runs, then you have a problem in the COR / VAF circuit. (which is where I'd put my bet)

You were right on thanks man she kicked fuel pump on and fired right up with jumper wire installed. I guess I can just drive like this for now until I can figure out what actually needs to be replaced. thanks for the advice on the jumper wire saved me a lot of headache I was not looking forward to a fuel pump change.