Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1993 truck power mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1993 compact 4x4 truck power mirrors

The power mirrors in my 1993 SR5 4x4 Xtracab truck (without vent windows) don't work. I have been looking to buy other ones on eBay as there are plenty of cheap power mirrors for many Toyota models (including the same generation 4Runner) but I didn't find ones for my truck.
Does anybody know where I could find these or if they could be repaired? The one on the driver side has a loose glass that shakes at highway speeds.

I guess they are still available from Toyota but I'm also guessing that the price is higher than what I'm willing to pay!

Last edited by PhilR; 04-18-2009 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would see if your mirror is the same part as a 4runner for that year or near that year. Check with a dealer or a Toyota parts website. Or do a visual with your mirror and one on ebay. I replaced a power passenger side mirror on my 93 4runner with one from ebay. It works fine.

Toyota parts are often interchangeable with other models. Also, my mirrors jiggle a bit at highway speeds. They won't tighten firm.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
wait a minute here... neither one work?

are you positive that BOTH of the mirrors are broken?

have you checked fuses or wiring yet?

maybe the movement switch for them inside the cab?

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-18-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:26 PM

I spent a few minutes checking the mirrors today and the mirrors both work sometimes but the switch acts strangely. When the right mirror is selected, the right mirror sometimes operates in reverse of the switch (goes up while pressing down) and the left mirror operates at the same time (with the switch still set to "right") in another direction... I just don't get it. I'll have to remove the switch and check that.

Today, I replaced the spare tire holder with a brand new one (the first time I see one that works!), replaced the front parking brake cable and lever. I also repaired the driver's side seatback recliner (the metal rod that unlocks the right side of the seat was probably bent in an accident...) I was able to straighten it and it works fine now! And I corrected a few other small things.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would pull the doors apart and look for any hack wiring..
Old 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilR
Today, I replaced the spare tire holder with a brand new one (the first time I see one that works!)
I use to have a mint one, that I unbolted from my truck a week after I got it, cause I had no spare, and the chain kept swinging around and making noise...

I set it in my back yard, and I was living at home with my parents at the time, and my step father though it was trash and he THREW IT AWAY!!!

it worked perfect...

I still probably wouldn't use it if I had it, but I see them going for $50+ on eBay every once in a while

but I do still have the original tool kit (wrapped in the leather case and all), and the bottle jack whatever good that little jack really is...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-18-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
I would pull the doors apart and look for any hack wiring..

I looked at the connector to the switch today and I think the wires have been removed from it in the past... The connector is a bit damaged and someone has written the wire colors inside the switch, what's written matches the wires in the connector but maybe what's written isn't correct...

Can someone take a picture of it's switch connector to show the position of the wires in it or send me the wiring diagram from the service manual so I could reinstall the wires where they should be?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 PM

I went to the junkyard a few years ago and I removed the switch connector from a 4Runner. I noticed that mine had been modified and all the wires were reversed! My connector was even modified to be connected in the wrong way (I should have taken pictures of it!). I just had to remove the remaining wires from the junkyard connector and replaced them with the ones of the same color from my truck and both mirrors are working prefectly now. I just don't understand how someone could have screwed up this thing to that point!