86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1993 Toyota 4x4 not pumping any fuel. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Toyota 4x4 not pumping any fuel. HELP

This is my first post....I'm new to this site - but I love this Toyota!

1993 Toyota 4x4 not getting any fuel: Ok....I've owned this truck since 1994 and have kept it in very good condition. Truck sat for a year without starting due to being deployed. Replaced battery...no start. New battery + starting fluid...will run, but only for a few seconds. Engine will continue to run if starting fluid is sprayed. Replaced fuel filter near engine....nothing. Removed gas tank....removed fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump, new plug and tank filter. Here is where I'm at.....I've read a few very detailed categories on this site. I have checked all fuzes....good. Checked the plug that the fuel pump connects to under the truck and with my Fluke Meter I get 9 volts with the key turned and engine turning over (odd not 12....but I'm not going to sweat that right now). Sat the fuel pump with housing, connected to the under bed plug while sitting in a can of gasoline, with the engine running (fed with starting fluid).....and no fuel is pumped out of the unattached fuel lings from pump. I have blown air into the fuel lines and it bubbles through pump...so there isn't a blockage. What am I missing?

Why will no fuel pump out of the pump! HELP!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Sorry forgot some details....this is a 1993 Toyota Extended Cab Pick-Up with a 4 cyl 22RE engine with California emissions if that helps.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Have you just tried bypassing the wiring, and running 12V direct from the battery to the pump? (make sure it's actually working). I used car jumper leads and my multimeter probe leads to power it. Seconds touch will make it run obviously.
I had the same sort of thing with my 89, except it had sat from 08 until July.
I had a bad pump (it'd rusted)
Also, have you checked the pump reset switch? There was a small push button to reset the pump under the dash, drivers side, in the corner area. Press it, might solve it. When I replaced the pump, I had starting problems still, because I'd forgotten to push it.

(I'm not ab expert' myself, just a dabbler, but I thought I'd mention some basic stuff)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
The fuel pump only runs when the key is on "START" (cranking), OR if the VAF (volume air flow meter) is sensing air flow. So you've checked that you've got power when cranking (that's why it starts), but as soon as you turn the key back to "ON" the pump stops. The most likely reason is that the vane in the VAF is stuck. A possible other reason is a problem with the Circuit Opening Relay (COR), but since you can start it I'd start with the VAF.

A quick and dirty check is to jumper B+ to FP at the diagnostic connector. The pump will run whenever the key is "ON". Which means the truck will stay running after you start it.

Don't drive around for long with the jumper in. If you get in an accident that breaks a fuel line, do you want the pump to keep running? Fix the VAF.

PS There is no "pump reset switch" (probably a circuit breaker) in my '94. Could that be something that disappeared some time after 1989?

Last edited by scope103; 10-05-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Thank you so much for the help!
I am really going to bite the bullet on this one....I have been working on vintage cars my whole life....I don't like working on cars with "computers".

So, long story short....I did the jumper thing. No joy. The "new" pump that I purchased came from ebay....for something like $20. I have power at the connector...but nothing. Hmmmm. Maybe the "new" pump doesn't work either. I went to Auto Zone, purchased a well made name brand pump @ $135 (ouch) to test the connector voltage (if it didn't work either....I could just return it as unused just to narrow down the problem).....and lol-and-behold the damn thing worked! Original pump bad....first "new" ebay $20 pump bad.....overpriced Auto Zone pump - WORKS. Damn it! Gonna put it all back together tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the help!