Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1993 Toyota 22RE won't start (Fuel pump?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Toyota 22RE won't start (Fuel pump?)

Came back from town a few days ago, shut the truck off for a few minutes, got back in to go somewhere else and it wouldn't start. The engine turned over, but it wouldn't start. After talking to my mechanic friend...I checked a little valve going into the throttle body (has a threaded screw with a spring), and it doesn't appear the engine is getting fuel. I sprayed starter fluid down into the valve and the engine started (but wouldn't run but a second). My mechanic friend told me to reset the fuel switch above the ECM on the passenger side kick panel, but I don't know what to do. I think I found what he is talking about, but I don't see a rest button. From what I've read online, I don't think there is one? What do I need to do? Is the fuel pump bad or do I need to check other things? The engine was rebuilt about 13,000 miles ago, and it runs good but I've noticed a little hesitation (miss) sometimes when I'm running about 40-45 and not accelerating very hard. When I accelerate harder, it runs fine. Could that be an indicator of the fuel pump going bad?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 AM

If you bump the motor over with that valve unscrewed, then fuel should squirt out. Might be a good idea to put a pressure test to the lines. If it fails either of those then i would replace the fuel pump and filter. If that doesn't work check for spark and airflow. If the motor is getting spark and fuel then i would replace the mass air flow sensor. But start with fuel. just my two cents. haha Good luck! Hope this helps.

Last edited by MrJaron93; 02-03-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Do the easy stuff first.

Use your Special Service Tool (paperclip) to jump FP and B+ inside the diagnostic connector. With keyon, engineoff you should be able to hear the fuel pump running. If you can't hear the pump, a bad pump is a likely diagnosis. If you can hear the pump, and it will start and run, you have a problem in the VAFM-COR circuit (which shuts off the pump when the computer doesn't sense airflow through the VAFM). If you can hear the pump, but it won't start, you need to check for fuel pressure (bad pump, clogged fuel filter, etc.)

Notice that you need airflow to keep the truck running. If you disconnect the air filter to spray starting fluid, the VAFM can't sense air flow and it will shut off the fuel pump.

Last, if it runs with the paperclip, don't be tempted to drive around that way. If you have an accident that breaks a fuel line, do want the pump to keep running? Find the problem and fix it.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 AM

They usually start spitting and sputtering and put you on the side of the road thinking you have dirt in the lines. Then the will run OK for few days or weeks then when you think it's fine she drops you cold on the side of the road. I don't think fuel pumps ever go out in the driveway. lol.

Pull the main line and put a clear plastic bottle over it, turn the key on...should fill up in a few seconds.

I found one for my Lexus on ebay for around $30.00 that looked same as the original.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 AM

also check the fuse box under the hood and make sure the EFI fuse is still good. that happened to me and had me scratching my head for a good half hour before i checked that. If it all the sudden quit on you, it might be a blown fuse...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
Do the easy stuff first.

Use your Special Service Tool (paperclip) to jump FP and B+ inside the diagnostic connector. With keyon, engineoff you should be able to hear the fuel pump running. If you can't hear the pump, a bad pump is a likely diagnosis. If you can hear the pump, and it will start and run, you have a problem in the VAFM-COR circuit (which shuts off the pump when the computer doesn't sense airflow through the VAFM). If you can hear the pump, but it won't start, you need to check for fuel pressure (bad pump, clogged fuel filter, etc.)

Notice that you need airflow to keep the truck running. If you disconnect the air filter to spray starting fluid, the VAFM can't sense air flow and it will shut off the fuel pump.

Last, if it runs with the paperclip, don't be tempted to drive around that way. If you have an accident that breaks a fuel line, do want the pump to keep running? Find the problem and fix it.

Good luck!
This is a very good explanation and this is what you should start with.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 AM

93 toyota 22re

I have a 93 toyota with the 22re and if runs great once its warmed up but when i crank it and its cold its hard to get started and once it starts its cutting out real bad and the check engine light is flickering as it cuts out. ive put a new alternator in case of low amps and ive put a new mass air flow and tried a new coil but it still does it. When i put a new alternator on it, it stops for a few days and starts back to putting lower amps than it was putting out. any ideas?
Old 10-08-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by daisley152
... the check engine light is flickering as it cuts out. ive put a new alternator in ... and ive put a new mass air flow and .. new coil ... any ideas?
Did you check for stored codes? Your engine is trying (desperately!) to tell you something.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:27 PM

I have a 1993 4x4 EFI the truck sat for over 1 year. Probably with fuel in it. It will not start, just put in new battery. Cranks great, gets spark but nothing.

What do you think?
Old 02-04-2022, 08:53 PM

Start simple.

[QUOTE=19934X4;52295248]I have a 1993 4x4 EFI the truck sat for over 1 year. Probably with fuel in it. It will not start, just put in new battery. Cranks great, gets spark but nothing.

What do you think?[/QUO
start Simple Start by checking to make sure that there's no obstructions in your air intake box or that the air intake tube is disconnected from the mass airflow sensor but and the ore or the air intake if air comes into the system between the mass airflow sensor and the intake it shuts the fuel pump off then make sure the battery didn't corrode and make it to where you don't have any power going into your control panel. And. Have someone bump the key over and freaking you should hear the air door in the mass air flow sensor opening and closing when you freaking try starting it and then let go of the key and also while you're in the cab listen for click click click click of a relay behind your jockey box well behind your jockey box and your passenger side check panel