YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

1993 3vze runner missing oil cooler

My 4 runner was leaking oil badly from the drivers side of the engine since i've owned it. I finally took off skid plate and looked in FSM and realized that someone had removed the oil cooler that was supposed to be mounted behind the oil filter, that same genius tried to seal it with a circular piece of metal with a central bolt, however that is not holding up and i would really like to get a cooler back in there (hopefully I can find a used unit from a junk yard). While searching for the fitting that is supposed to feed from the block to the oil cooler i realized that it was either broken off or replaced with a bolt. Now im not sure which location it is supposed to be in since there are two bolts there now that look like they could be fill bolts for the old fitting. I really don't like that the coolant that should be flowing here is blocked off and just sitting in the cyl. head. I would either like to bypass the cooler and run hose from a new block coolant fitting to the water pump and get an aftermarket cooler unit(for cost control) or get an oe cooler and get it back to factory form(choice a). I really just want the coolant to flow properly again. Does anybody have a picture or possibly a part number for the fitting in the block that allows coolant to flow to the oil cooler? i need to know where it should go and fsm pics arent helping.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
etalono61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
GDR

Union part#90404-53066

Click the image to open in full size.

That picture is for 2wd but the block coolant connection is the same. I really wouldn't worry about coolant flow problems without a cooler. That connection on the block is actually a block drain. Most of the coolers out there are blocked by rust sediments without the owners even knowing.
GDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

ok glad to hear that its just a drain that means the easier cheaper option is the one im going for, thanks
etalono61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #4

ok so is the 4x4 backwards from the 2wd cause mine im rebuilding the oil filter and the cooler is switched around
91blackyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #5

Yes, they are switched around for the 4X4.
1993 Runner 4X 3VZE 5spd 206k Sold
93toyrunner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by etalono61 View Post
My 4 runner was leaking oil badly from the drivers side of the engine since i've owned it. I finally took off skid plate and looked in FSM and realized that someone had removed the oil cooler that was supposed to be mounted behind the oil filter, that same genius tried to seal it with a circular piece of metal with a central bolt, however that is not holding up and i would really like to get a cooler back in there (hopefully I can find a used unit from a junk yard). While searching for the fitting that is supposed to feed from the block to the oil cooler i realized that it was either broken off or replaced with a bolt. Now im not sure which location it is supposed to be in since there are two bolts there now that look like they could be fill bolts for the old fitting. I really don't like that the coolant that should be flowing here is blocked off and just sitting in the cyl. head. I would either like to bypass the cooler and run hose from a new block coolant fitting to the water pump and get an aftermarket cooler unit(for cost control) or get an oe cooler and get it back to factory form(choice a). I really just want the coolant to flow properly again. Does anybody have a picture or possibly a part number for the fitting in the block that allows coolant to flow to the oil cooler? i need to know where it should go and fsm pics arent helping.
Many 3VZ-Es came from the factory w/o oil coolers. So I HIGHLY doubt that it's been removed. FYI, that circular piece of metal with the central bolt is stock. See pics below.

BTW, you'd need the other style water pump too if you wanted to run the oil cooler. But bypassing it like you're saying would be COMPLETELY useless(wouldn't help cool anything, might even hinder coolant flow).

What you really wanted was to stop the oil leak though right? The o-ring is part # 90301-68005, and the gasket for the bolt is part # 90430-20012. And for both of those you'll be expecting to spend ~$5.

So who's the genius now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDR View Post
Union part#90404-53066
That connection on the block is actually a block drain.
No, that one IS NOT a block drain. The block drain is the bolt next to it. Mine has a hollow hex plug(Taper Screw Plug part# 90344-53015) threaded into the hole where that union would be, since it wasn't equipped with the oil cooler from the factory.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-03-2012 at 08:04 AM.
MudHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #7

where does the line run to from the cooler on a 4x4
91blackyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #8

came from the fatory that way
wildfire124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #9

could you just put on a second filter
AZSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91blackyoda View Post
where does the line run to from the cooler on a 4x4
From water pump, to oil cooler, to block.

Multipe FSMs!!!
EPIC 3VZE info thread
Cheap OEM Parts: www.toyotaofnewnan.com

TNRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSPEED View Post
could you just put on a second filter
Yes, you would have to go get a threaded adapter for the filter to screw onto, but it can be done. Recommend a bypass type filter for this application.
1993 Runner 4X 3VZE 5spd 206k Sold
93toyrunner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #12

Quote:
does anyone have the part numbers for the cap and the bolt in this picture?
Sbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to phildelfino
MudHippy wrote;
What you really wanted was to stop the oil leak though right? The o-ring is part # 90301-68005, and the gasket for the bolt is part # 90430-20012. And for both of those you'll be expecting to spend ~$5.

Taper Screw Plug part# 90344-53015

a thread from Tofer;

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/3-0-dua...talled-215913/
1988 4 Runner SR5 w/240,xxx miles, V6, 3.slo, A/T., 5.29s w/rear ARB and power everything else that still works. 1.25" BL. Used MC Rear Tube Bumper, BFG MT 35x12.50x15 on Black Steelies, Trail Gear Sliders, Home Built Front Bumper, TG SAS.

Wish List; Front ARB, Paint, Half Doors, 4.3L Swap w/700R4 and Dual TCases.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171939
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...0and%20Bumper/

Last edited by phildelfino; 01-29-2012 at 07:53 AM.
phildelfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildelfino View Post
MudHippy wrote;

Taper Screw Plug part# 90344-53015

a thread from Tofer;

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/3-0-dua...talled-215913/
That's the o-ring for the cap and the gasket for the bolt, and the plug to replace the coolant union. But I'm needing the part numbers for the cap and the bolt themselves.
Sbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #15

The cap(Oil Hole Cover Plate) is 11494-65010 and the bolt(Union Bolt) is 90401-19002.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-29-2012 at 03:38 PM.
MudHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1993, 3vze, 88, 91, change, cooler, cover, engine, hole, hose, oil, plate, rings, toyota, waterpump