Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1992 Pick-up Heater and horn don't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Pick-up Heater and horn won't work

Hey everyone.

So the heater use to work when I first got the truck, and then it wouldnt work until the truck was turned on for a bit, and not it just does not work at all, I checked the fuses and they looked fine, I will replace them later today anyways. Anyone have any ideas why it would out of no where stop working?

Also the horn has never worked since I got it, I checked the fuse with that also and same ordeal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I have checked wiring and didn't see any breaks in them for both the heater and horn nor did I see any breaks in the hose lines for the heater, but I did not tear out the whole dash or steering wheel to follow them all the way through, just figured I should check the parts that may get moved around. Can't think of any other trouble shooting stuff right now.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Ijjiop; 10-23-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
"the" fuses? Which ones? The heater fan is powered through (duh!) the heater fuse http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../2powersou.pdf . Did you check that one?

I assume that your problem is that the heater fan doesn't run, not that it does run but blows only cold air (though your post is ambiguous regarding "turned on for a bit.") So you have an electrical problem, and to look at an electrical problem you need a multimeter. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-98025.html No excuse to not have one. Without one, you end up wasting time doing things like looking at fuses, but "replace them later today anyways."

With a multimeter, you'll just start at the blower motor and work backwards; it's as simple as that (same with the horn).
Old 10-23-2013, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the info and it would blow hot and cold air, so yeah it was electrical. I checked fuses in the engine bay for the horn, and the ones behind the glove box for the blower motor, when I was pulling out the relay(which looked fine) I decided to give it a little shake and it rattles, so I will need to change that and hopefully that will fix the heater issue.

I havent used a multimeter yet since I can't seem to find it, I will have to go pick up another one, but I will definitely use one for the horn. Thanks again, and I will keep this updated.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:17 AM

Sorry for the late update. Turns out it was both the heater and the horn relay, they were both toast so replacing them both everything works .
Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM

Every now and then i have that issue too. I just give my driver side kick pannel aa kick where the relay is and it engages. I think my relay is going out too but it still works for now lol.
Originally Posted by Ijjiop
Sorry for the late update. Turns out it was both the heater and the horn relay, they were both toast so replacing them both everything works .
Old 11-12-2013, 01:07 PM

Yeah I took the relay cap off(horn has 2 pieces) and it is super corroded. I tried to clean it but I think something inside is also corroded or broken apart.