Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1991 dog help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 AM
JHW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 dog help!

Hi, I'm new here and need a little help. I just got done installing a new input shaft bearing and seal in the tranny of my 1991 Toy pickup and while she's on down time I'm going to install a new cam/chain also. The truck has 250,000 on it and is still in great shape, but has a power problem. I did a compression check (warm) and every cylinder was 175 PSI, which really surprised me. That tells me everything below the head is fine, at least as far as I can tell. The problem is "NO POWER"! I notice this most when I hook my 16'alum fishing boat to the tail of her. If I'm on the highway cruising at 70 mph and encounter slight grade I'm soon crawling up it in 3rd gear. This is ridiculous! She runs good otherwise, but just no power. I had something like this happen years ago with a Ford/Mazda pickup with the Pinto 4 cyl. in it. Ran good, but couldn't spin the wheels on ice. Cam lobes were wore almost round. I'm taking the valve cover off tonight, but still want a new cam and chain anyway to see if it will help. My question is as to what lift/duration cam to get for a little more high end help. Also, I really rather stay with the old springs and lifters. I have also thought, since I'm boosting it in the cam department, that maybe a header/2.5 exhaust might help also. I know there are no magic bullets for these old 22RE motors, but I'd like to try if it doesn't kill my pocket book. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. JohnW

Last edited by JHW; 08-15-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22RE's just don't have a whole lot of power. They didn't even when they were brand new. Rolling off the factory floor they were rated at 105 HP, that's about as much power as a late 90's Toyota Camry, except that your truck probably weighs an extra 500 pounds on top of that.

Cams, headers, and a new cat-back exhaust will all help but it's not going to be a powerplant. These engines are known for reliability (hence why you have 250k miles with no real issues) not for power.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 AM
JHW

Ya, I know it's never going to be a hot-rod, but I was just looking to not have to creep up a small incline on the highway in 3rd gear. I drop from 70 mph down to about 45 mph in no time. I'm not talking steep incline either 'cause we don't have them in West Michigan. After I had the 1975 Ford Courier I bought a brand new 1986 Mazda B2000( 4 banger engine) and that thing towed my boat 10 times better than this old girl. This is the first Toyota 22RE I have own and have only had it a short while so I have nothing to compare it too, but it sure seems on the weak side to me. I'll know more about my power loss tonight after I take the valve cover off. I'll post what I find out after it's off. JohnW

Last edited by JHW; 08-15-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 AM

Check out the cams from Engnbldr.com or LCEngineering.

As far as the exhaust, I'd lean more towards a 2 1/4" system rather than a 2 1/2". Once you start getting into that size and bigger it doesn't really help any and you get to where your pipes are so big they never really heat up enough to dry them out so they rot out quicker. 2 1/4" is really popular for these 22re's so you can find them almost anywhere.

One thing I've found to help is the injectors I just installed from FlameThrower. Now granted, I only installed them yesterday afternoon, but I've already noticed I'm doing a lot better at getting up hills. You can feel the difference immediately which says a lot for these old engines. That might be something you want to consider also, but I'm sure you'll end up with a combination of things to get you to where you want to be.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...review-272124/

Gearing is another thing to look at, but I don't know what you have now and that's expensive. It depends on what gears you're running now and what size tires you have too. They need to match, especially when you're pulling something.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 AM
JHW

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
Check out the cams from Engnbldr.com or LCEngineering.

As far as the exhaust, I'd lean more towards a 2 1/4" system rather than a 2 1/2". Once you start getting into that size and bigger it doesn't really help any and you get to where your pipes are so big they never really heat up enough to dry them out so they rot out quicker. 2 1/4" is really popular for these 22re's so you can find them almost anywhere.

One thing I've found to help is the injectors I just installed from FlameThrower. Now granted, I only installed them yesterday afternoon, but I've already noticed I'm doing a lot better at getting up hills. You can feel the difference immediately which says a lot for these old engines. That might be something you want to consider also, but I'm sure you'll end up with a combination of things to get you to where you want to be.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...review-272124/

Gearing is another thing to look at, but I don't know what you have now and that's expensive. It depends on what gears you're running now and what size tires you have too. They need to match, especially when you're pulling something.
Now those injectors sound like the kind of upgrade I could use and afford. Where did you pick yours up?
Also, my truck is stock as far as I know so the gearing is the way it came from the factory. JohnW
Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 AM

I can also attest to the Flamethrowers, just put them in my 3VZ-E. Noticing a better power band, I can shift lower and have good torque through the 1500-2500 RPMs. High RPMs are the same for me, but I already had some reman'd injectors in there so going from bone stock to these would be even more of any improvement. I would recommend a full tune-up as well if you haven't recently, new spark plugs, wires, and cap and rotor.

They sell them on Ebay, cheapest place to buy them. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...s-free-270678/. Note that all the free ones are gone. The guy posts on here ever so often so you can hit him up if you want more info.