Sponsored by: DashLynx

1990 VS 1992 front grill and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 VS 1992 front grill and bumper

hey guys,

question from a newbie,

just wanted to confirm if indeed, the 92 4 runner front grill/bumper bolts on to a 90 4 runner. been told it would work but i need to know for sure from more experienced guys here. (i dinged the front left quarter pannel and the bumper and left light turn signal through a post in a drive through (doh!!!) well, a little more than a ding, was being careless and since the truck is right hand drive, i missed the short post)

lookin at both years, it seems like the only difference is the grill (the back end is identical, and i think the 92's got a sunroof), but looks like the quarter pannels are identical. i also like the more modern look of the following generation...if they do fit, i'll prolly just get aftermarkets, THEN get a bush bar! sheesh!

Also, could anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to the stock bumper? can't afford ARB's, well, besides identical looking aftermarket bumpers... OR suggest a decent bush bar? (don't they call that a "roo" bar in australia?)

i have a right hand drive turbo diesel hilux surf from japan, but i know the body is identical to the n.american gas models...

thanks in advance!

hiluxsurf

oh yeah, will try and post pics too.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be hesitant to put a '92 grille onto a '90, only because Toyota changed the headlights and grille. It doesn't make sense that they would change the mounting holes in the body panels, but they could have. If you already have the '92 grille or can cheaply/easily acquire one, go for it; but I wouldn't go out of my way and pay a good deal of money for something that may work.

You will probably be ok with the bumper.

oh, and I was in a similar predicament last january, after an accident. ended up getting a new OEM grille for my 91 4runner and some cheap POS bumper from a body shop for about $200 (compared to the close to $800 toyota wanted for one).
Old 10-20-2007, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks sacrunner, see, this little voice in me kept sayin the same thing, true, true... i might be able to salvage the grill/headlight combo, but i'd need the left corner lights, bumper for sure has to go, will prolly get a painted one since it's cheaper, then getting a brush bar. (ARB's in the front and marlin's in the rear would be sweet tho!)

(but, if anyone's done it and can confirm it'll work post up, cost will be similar i'm sure, just a different look, i'm so stubborn sometimes... lol)