Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1990 truck 22re starts but runs rough and dies(this 1's a stumper read on)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 truck 22re starts but runs rough and dies(this 1's a stumper read on)

I have a 90 truck with a 22re. My problem is I have to use ether to start truck(it's a long shot if it starts) but when it does it idles like doodoo until it finally catches and idles smooth. If I give it gas it runs like doodoo again and pops and backfires. Also if I shake the truck it wants to die out. Even if I kick the tire it will die out. If I turn blinker on, head lights on, step on brakes or any electrical draw it kills the motor. If I turn the wheels it kills the motor. I've check timing and it's dead on, timing chain is dead on, valve clearance is dead on, fuel pressure dead on, getting spark, getting fuel through injectors everything seems to be in spec. I've replaced plugs wires, distibutor, cap and rotor, MAF, ecu, check all electrical for shorts and can't find nothing. Throttle body has been gone through and IAC cleaned. When I check timing with light and Rev motor my pulse in timing light becomes eratic, could that mean the ignition control module going and if so would that have anything to do with kicking tire and it dying? I'm about to cut two holes in the floorboard and Flintstone this thing.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What kind of voltage do you have??

Sounds like your close to the thresh hold voltage where the ecu goes into hibernation .

Most Trucks will shut off if you kick them Being of Japanese decent they take honor and respect very personal.

If you need to give it starting fluid tells me the cold start injector is not working .

Could be the injector itself or the electrical side of the circuit.

poor grounds for the ecu can also cause these issues.

just what is your fuel pressure ?? How much does it drop after running 10 minutes ??

If you have a MAF are you sure you have a 22Re ??
Old 11-04-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
What kind of voltage do you have??

Sounds like your close to the thresh hold voltage where the ecu goes into hibernation .

Most Trucks will shut off if you kick them Being of Japanese decent they take honor and respect very personal.

If you need to give it starting fluid tells me the cold start injector is not working .

Could be the injector itself or the electrical side of the circuit.

poor grounds for the ecu can also cause these issues.

just what is your fuel pressure ?? How much does it drop after running 10 minutes ??

If you have a MAF are you sure you have a 22Re ??
Battery voltage has never been below 12.8V. Have had a jump box on it while working on it so as to not kill battery when just cranking.

I usually try not to kick cars to much however as I was rounding the front corner and trying not to trip over my loving dog I accidentally kicked the tire and the car died. That is how I found that shaking the car issue and then the electrical load issue.

The temp sensor that controls the cold start injector has been bypassed to kill the cold start injector. It has been running this way for year with no starting issue.

I have checked every ground on this vehicle and cannot find any faults there I have even added a few for good measure.

Fuel pressure is right around 37 idling I cannot check at wot as it dies out. It holds pressure just fine not seeing any leakage from the gauge.

I'm positive it's a 22re, I do have a Mass Air Flow meter (MAF) and it has been replaced with a known good unit.

What else we got cuz I'm outa ideas