Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1990 Toyota rv 3vz clicking

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1990 Toyota rv 3vz clicking

Hey guys,

I'm usually on customtacos and ttora, but I know there are a lot of 3vze on this forum.

Well I just purchased a 1990 Toyota/Itasca RV (3vz w/ auto) that has 29,000 miles on it. I know the 3vz have a clicking problem due to loud injectors from what I've read. Now the clicking that i'm hearing is only when i'm in Drive and accelerating. Once i'm cruising at a lower rpm the sound goes away. Also when i'm in park/neutral I can rev it as high or low as i want w/ no sound.

Are these the symptoms of loud injectors?

Thank you for the help,

Navy

here are some links i've read:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-noise-109194/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-110170/
Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I literally just had the same problem with my 91 yota. It was pre-detonation ping in the cylinders. I tried out Premium gas and it went away. I was also told that my timing might be to advanced as well. So As of right not I changed the plugs out and have premium in it and the sound went away. But It was the exact same problem/ symptoms as you. I will see if I can cut and paste in the link for my thread.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
See if this works.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...thread-181329/
Old 05-07-2009, 08:42 AM

At least on pickups and 4runners, there's a rubber seal around the steering column where it passes through the firewall. This rubber gets old and cracks apart, leaving a big hole around the steering column. It really amplifies the engine noise in the cab, and lots of people have misdiagnosed this as loud injectors/header leaks/excess valve lash/detonation.

Check that seal and replace it if it's shot, it's only like $20. Wouldn't be surprised if it fixed the noise. (the noise is still there but it's normal, you just wouldn't hear it if the seal was there)
Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Sweet sounds like my exact problem. I have changed the plugs and wires already, but will try premium gas and see if that helps.

Thank you Gizler00!

Thanks for the advice isaac338, but it is pretty quiet in the cab. The only time I really hear it is with the windows down, but i'll look into it!

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Navy
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, see if its got the right gas in it.... was the truck sitting a while when you bought it.... for the miles it has should not have many issues at all... is the sound like a distinct click or is it more a light ticking.... check under the truck you may just have something rubbing a a wheel or the drive shaft... check the plugs? how do they look.... whats the history on it? has anyone messed with the timing?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Well just filled 3/4 of the tank with premium gas. Mixed w/ 1/4 that was left in it. No noticeable difference yet. I also put in injector cleaner from chevron to see if that helps, but nada.

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Yea, see if its got the right gas in it.... was the truck sitting a while when you bought it.... for the miles it has should not have many issues at all... is the sound like a distinct click or is it more a light ticking.... check under the truck you may just have something rubbing a a wheel or the drive shaft... check the plugs? how do they look.... whats the history on it? has anyone messed with the timing?
The correct mileage is 23,000 miles . The truck has been sitting from a couple years in storage was taken out to be sold. When I test drove it there was a clicking sound, but didn't think much of it since the interior and exterior was immaculate. I guess now that i'm trying to figure it out... it is a lighter ticking (non-metallic) sound.

History on the motor is that it has gone through the head gasket recall through Toyota. The motor runs strong. Plugs were a little dirty, but replaced. Oil was drained and topped off. The oil was thin, but black so I could not see any fragments sitting in the oil. Air filter was also changed. Maf is spotless!

I'm going to drive it around and hopefully the sound dissipates.

Thanks for all the help!

Navy
Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 PM

Talking

Also should everything be so damn hot in the engine bay after a drive? The temperature gauge is still on the cool side, but the everything in the engine bay is hot. For example the intake manifold, maf unit, fan shroud, intake pipe, and battery. While all these things are happening the engine is still running like a champ.

Thanks again guys!

Navy
Old 05-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Normal operating temp for an engine is arould 200+ degrees so yea its gonna be hot lol... plus some temp in the combustion chamber get up to 2-3000degrees to so yea.... if theres not noticeable performance difference in the truck while its ticking i would not worry about it.... drive it a few thousand miles and see if it goes away....
Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Normal operating temp for an engine is arould 200+ degrees so yea its gonna be hot lol... plus some temp in the combustion chamber get up to 2-3000degrees to so yea.... if theres not noticeable performance difference in the truck while its ticking i would not worry about it.... drive it a few thousand miles and see if it goes away....
Thank you sir!

Ill keep you guys updated. If anything changes

cheers!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM

Update!

Just sea foamed the rv today... runs smoother, but some clicking is still happening. I haven't tested the rv on a long trip yet. Hopefully I'll get a few hundred miles on it during the summer .

Navy
Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
An exhaust gasket that is going will make what sounds like a ticking noise. Could be one of the THREE donut gaskets around the engine (driver side, pax side, and downpipe)...
Old 05-13-2009, 04:44 PM

what weight oil are u using, might try running a heavier oil or running an oil treatment like STP or Reslone
Old 05-16-2009, 11:21 AM

Wait. is the sound most distinct in the steering wheel or in the motor... have you tired getting out and revving the engine with your finger on the throttle body to see if its the motor?

I have a annoying ticking sound in my steering wheel that I haven't yet to figure out
Old 05-16-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's a very pronounced, distinct 'thwap' or 'click' that increases in frequency along with engine rpm's and is only heard when on the gas pedal, it's an exhaust leak between the head and manifold. exhaust leaks near the collectors tend to sound more like fabric flapping in the wind like a flag or wrap from a pallet on a flat-bed truck that's become unwound and is flapping as the truck goes down the road... like paper being torn.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:45 PM

Tis a possible exhaust leak but with the low miles i would not think it had one.....
Old 05-16-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with the low miles, and the age, thats prob what it is. think about it, 80,000 miles on a motorhome is a LOT of mileage, considering most people use them maybe 5000 miles a year. if that. also, its been sitting, (how the mileage is so low, probably). id say tighten up the exhaust bolts a little, and see if it goes away.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 PM

update:

We got a few hundred miles on the RV and decided to go to a 200mile trip to pismo beach. The RV never made it. The engine shut completely off as soon as my dad turned off the cruise control. Although the RV was running smoother at the time and clicking sound was reducing.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 PM

Oh my Are you going to try and salvage it? You have my condolences.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by CRafferty
Oh my Are you going to try and salvage it? You have my condolences.
Oh sorry if you misunderstood me, but there was no damage done haha. The motor just stopped and we pulled to the side.

Quick Reply: 1990 Toyota rv 3vz clicking