Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1990 4x4 v6 locking hub questions. man vs auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 4x4 v6 locking hub questions. man vs auto

my hubs are manual, but iw as wondeirng do they make a good quality auto lockers? I'm tuired of having to jump out and manually lock them. i want to jsut slam it into 4 and go. any recommendations?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just keep your hubs locked, thats pretty much what ADD hubs do.

Stop being lazy

Last edited by Jay351; 05-10-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 AM
DCS

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes! I have a recommendation!

I will remove my OEM AISIN auto hubs from my 90 runner which are in excellent condition, and I will mail them to you in exchange for your complete Aisin manual locker hubs.

I will be extremely careful to include all the parts I remove, and you will do likewise. Perhaps some photo exchange by email will clarify any questions we have.

Aisin OEM hubs are superior to any aftermarket brands.

Before you commit to this course of action, you should read up on the topic. Many auto-hub drivers pay upwards of $100 to obtain Aisin manual hub sets so that they can switch to manual.

With auto, your cv jts are always turning.

With manual, you can disengage so that your cv jts aren't turning while you cruise town or the highway.

Let me know if you are interested. My runner is a daily driver. My auto hubs are in excellent condition.

DS

Last edited by DCS; 05-08-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:45 AM

So from what Jay is saying all I have to do is leave the manuals in locked postiion if I want? Will it not hurt the hubs or anything? I mean yea if I'm for sure not going ot need the 4x4 then i'll unlock it, but if there's a question, I can leave them locked and it will just cause the axles to turn? If this is the case, then i will keep the manuals. if leavin them in lock will cause issues, then yea I'll trade for the auto locker hubs.

Can someone please verify this for me?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:11 AM
DCS

Your CV's are spinning at all times while your manual hubs are locked. This may contribute to wear on the joints and boots.

Most (I think) trucks and runners from this era were built with auto hubs, as is the case with my runner. For 17 years now, my CV jts have been spinning non-stop. I have no way to know if they have been replaced once or twice, or ever. I guess the reality is that Toyota designed the auto hub with ADD system (engages the front shaft with the front drive lines) to last as long as the rest of the truck. Anyway, a huge number of auto-hub drivers just drive around and never think about it.

Since manual hubs were a factory option, some auto-hub owners decide they want to switch their auto-hub vehicle over to manual hubs so they can control when and where the front CV's are spinning.

If you lock your manual hubs in and leave them that way, it will be the same as installing auto hubs.

I don't even know why they call them auto hubs. They should be called locked hubs, because they are locked full-time causing the CV jts to spin.

My best advice to you is to keep your manual hubs, and to leave them locked anytime you have a 10% or better chance of needing 4WD, and unlock them only when driving hwy trips or commutes where 4WD will not be needed.

HOWEVER, as a brother in YO's, it is my solemn duty to tell you that at least 10 times per year, you will encounter unexpected 4WD conditions, and that 1 of those times will be a mild emergency. You will either be required to exit your vehicle to lock your hubs or forego the benefits of 4WD. Therefore I am obliged to strongly advise you to make the trade with me, because deep down you want auto hubs and deep down I want manual hubs. I offer this advise purely out of concern for you and your wellbeing, in hopes that it will help you avoid frustration at unexpected 4WD situations, and also in hopes that it will one day save your life because your hubs are locked and waiting on you when you need 4WD in that rare emergency. My concern is so great in fact, that i am willing to potentially sacrifice my own life by donating my auto hubs to you in exchange for your manual hubs, so that you are ready on that day. Peace to you, my yota brethren.

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy.

Anyway, it's sorta 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Lemme know...
Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mikewic
my hubs are manual, but iw as wondeirng do they make a good quality auto lockers? I'm tuired of having to jump out and manually lock them. i want to jsut slam it into 4 and go. any recommendations?
I just swapped out my ADD hubs for manual hubs. It saves the CV axles from wear and tear. If I were you, I would just keep your manual hubs. I think you've already got a good thing going.

Troy
Old 05-09-2007, 07:32 AM

There is quite a bit of wrong information here.

With auto hubs, the front axles are NOT spinning while in 2WD. I believe that the last year for auto hubs was 1988 for trucks and 1989 for 4runners.

What you people are talking about is ADD. With ADD there is no switchable hub. Instead, there is a flange which permanently locks the axle.

I have auto hubs on my 1989 4runner, and I seem to be one of the few that actually like them. The main complaint that people have is that the hubs will disengage for ~1/4 turn of the wheel with changing from forwards to reverse or the other way around. I think this is a very minor problem. A quarter turn is less the slippage that occurs when a tire will loses traction.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 AM
DCS

Originally Posted by JackKnife
There is quite a bit of wrong information here....
...What you people are talking about is ADD. With ADD there is no switchable hub. Instead, there is a flange which permanently locks the axle.
Perhaps it is an accurate statement to say that "auto-hub" is incorrect terminology to use in conjunction with "ADD". Perhaps.

What else is "wrong" here Jack?

My understanding is that it is quite common to replace the "locking flange" assy on ADD vehicles with OEM Aisin manual hubs (otherwise known as "Free wheeling" hubs)

On my runner (which has locked front hubs, ie not manual or "free wheeling"), the front drive axles spin at all times that the front wheels are spinning. When 4WD is engaged, the ADD (a vacuum-solenoid-actuated locking sleeve mechanism) engages the front drive axles to the front differential while simultaneously applying transfer case power to the front draft shaft.

When the vehicle is returned to 2WD service, the transfer case disengages the front drive shaft, and the ADD disengages the front axles from the front differential.

But nothing disengages the front drive axles from the front wheels because they are permanenetly locked together by the locking flange. Therefore they spin anytime the vehicle is rolling.

My understanding is that the locking flange system is commonly, and perhaps mistakenly, referred to as "auto hubs".

What other wrong information are you seeing?

Thx.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Fine! I guess I was mistaken. The only thing that was wrong with the previous statements was the mistaken assumption that ADD was the same as auto hubs.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:36 PM

hahah you guys crack me up! hahaahaha

ok then here's a more detailed question. if i want "TRUE" auto hubs" where cna I get them at?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:51 PM
DCS

Not available as far as I know.

A typical American 4wd design employs the transfer case and auto or manual hubs to provide 4wd.

The yota employs the transfer case and the ADD sleeve gizmo.

If you install free-wheeling or manual hubs on a yota of this design ,then you are actually ading a 3rd component to the lock/unlock system.

I've never head of true auto hubs being used to replace the locking flange on an ADD yota.

Anyone else?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM

bewler? anyone?