YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

1990 4Runner Dash Gauges & Fuses

I have taken apart my dash and removed the instrument cluster (some fun getting it out). I replaced all the little bulbs in the back of the instrument panel/cluster and am in the process of reinstalling the cluster. I managed to get the 4 electrical plugs reconnected but am having some difficulty reconnecting the speedometer cable. It is tought because you have to reach in behind the cluster - there isn't much space and you can't see either. I just can't seem to make the connection.

Anyways, the dash gauges all work (other than the speedometer of course). I have not yet put the dash back together. I did drive the vehicle today and at some point all the dash gauges stopped working. Also, my power windows will not work nor my heater fan. Something has gone wrong. Was it a bad idea to drive the vehicle without all the dash connections back together (ie. the dash dimmer switch, the rear defrost button etc). I have found that my fuse for the instrument panel is burned out. What else might I have done - what other fuses etc?

Any advice/comment greatly appreciated
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
jay4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

There is no harm in driving while having non-critical electrical components unconnected. I think you somehow had a electrical short since everything in the dash is out and the fuses blew.

Make sure there are no shorts or loose electrical wires touching each other or ground. Check all fuses and replace any blown fuse.

It happened to me while working with the electrical stuff in my truck! gotta be careful of electrical shorts
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1990, 4runner, 86, dash, dont, fuse, fuses, gages, gauges, iroc, spedometer, stop, windows, wiper, work, working