Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1990 4runner body lift...will throw distance be a problem ??????????

Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 4runner body lift...will throw distance be a problem ??????????

i am planning to do a 4" body lift on my 1990 4runner w/ manual trans. all the kits ive looked at dont offer a solution to the shortened throw distance problem that seems will happen once it is lifted. will i have to cut a bigger hole and add a shifter extension??? has anyone heard of this being a problem ? ? ?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned

also , i am assuming ill need radiator hoses and brake lines with more slack in them.......right?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
4'' ??????????? if you want a lift do it right
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned

thanks elton, but i posted this in hopes of an intelligent answer. you failed.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Err, that was an intelligent answer. 4" of body lift is rediculous. Please change your handle to lame@ss4runner if you do a 4" body lift. Do it properly and use springs and IFS lift bracket if you want 4". I take it your posing with this truck if you want a body lift anyways, but even if you're doing it for looks if fails as its going to look like a truck body sitting atop a frame with a gap in between instead of an actual vehicle.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm curious where you found a 4" body lift

I would seriously consider doing something much less, say a 2" BL. I did a 2" and spent quite a bit of time adjusting things such as the shifters, and other things as well. During the process, I was somewhat wishing I would have done a 1" in order to avoid the complications.

In answer to your original question: Yes, you will have to cut the shift plate. You'll also need an extension for your shifter, as it will pretty much be beneath your body with the 4" BL. Check out 4crawler's site. He has a short throw shifter that you might be interested in.

I think you will regret doing the 4", just in case I, and other people, didn't make that clear.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a 4inch body lift? thats about re-frickin-diculous. i dont think you can even buy a 4inch body lift. go make you a 4inch outta campbells soup cans or somethin
Old 02-28-2009, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I did a 3" years ago on a Ford and had to extend the steering and I think a couple of brake lines in the front. I also had to take a torch and heat the t-case shifter so it would still be usable. I think 4crawler has some short throw shifter kits and maybe some extentions.

Although I don't like body lifts myself I'd like to advise you to lift your rig however you want, it's your money to spend. I would like to see a write up on it when you do the install.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Old 02-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bad@$$4runner
... has anyone heard of this being a problem ? ? ? ....
Yes, and that's not the only problem you'll have. Please read 4crawler's warnings about B-lifts higher than 3":
3. What about taller body lifts?
While a 1" body lift is considered mild, there are many folks running 2" and 3" body lifts. 3" is pretty much the maximum lift you should consider on the stock mounts. Above this and you should consider raising the mounting bracket on the frame to reduce the leverage caused by the taller blocks.
At 2" on most Toyotas, you will find that in addition to the items that a 1" lift affects, you will need to extend the hydraulic line to the clutch slave cylinder.
A stock front brake line works well for this.
At 1" the radiator shroud was probably OK as-is, but at 2", you should drop the radiator to re-center it on the fan.
Same story on the shift levers, while modifications are optional at 1", they will probably need to be done at 2" and for sure at 3"
You'll also need to let the steering shaft lengthen a bit and chances are the upper engine ground strap may need to be lengthened.
With a 1st gen. 4Runner, a 2" lift allows you to raise the gas tank 2" using the existing pickup mounting holes on the cross member.
At 3", in addition to the above items need attention as well as dealing with fuel lines at the gas tank. One option at the 3" stage is to also lift the entire drive train by a similar amount.
For example, the engine and transmission could be raised for additional break-over angle, the fuel tank could be raised, etc. This will restore many of the interference areas to their original position.
This is what I chose to do on my 4Runner and you can find out more on that project here.
Above 3" and you are asking for trouble and 4Crawler Offroad won't provide any components for that application. Best bet above 3" is to fabricate new body mount brackets raised up the desired amount and attach the body to the raised brackets without any lift blocks.
More from 4crawlers site:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml
Old 02-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
All: Let's keep the conversation civil here please.

You have been given some excellent advice OP. 4" body lift is on the verge of ludicrous.

A little bit of searching about "body lifts" would have saved you from the chastisement of asking such a question.

You would have at least found the king of all body lift websites as linked above.

Folks at Yotatech are the friendliest around, but as you see from the replies, they are going to get tired real quick of questions asked from an obvious lack of searching.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-28-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Nah, I will leave it here for posterity.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM

4"??? are you serious? go with an actual lift...and by the way, your sig says "SAS coming soon", so why in the world are you worried about a crappy 4" body lift when you could get all the lift you need when completing the SAS? looks to me like you're more worried about posing with those cheap 15s in the back instead of doing a lift correctly...
Old 02-28-2009, 06:43 PM

I don't think he likes us anymore lol
Old 02-28-2009, 07:28 PM

yeah i think this guy has been chased off... but still can you imagine the crap he would have taken over at ttora or pirate...? he'd probably want to hang himself after that vicious blanked out word assault. haha
Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Cleve4runner
yeah i think this guy has been chased off... but still can you imagine the crap he would have taken over at ttora or pirate...? he'd probably want to hang himself after that vicious blanked out word assault. haha
Yeah this thread was getting a "pirate flair" to it really fast. I hope he decides against a body lift of that magnitude but in the end he can spend the money he earns hoewever he wants. Me? I'd never do a body lift at all unless I was going to back it up with a drivetrain lift at the same time.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Banned

my plan was to do a body lift now so that when i do sas i wouldnt have wasted money on an ifs lift kit. thanks to those of you with something helpful to say. mikes19984x4 you are what we refer to as a "hater" where i come from. my 4 15"s would shake your trailer park to the ground. i think i will do the 2" lift and i will post pics if anyone is interested. that is if i dont get deleted for defending myself. oh yeah btw....i did post this same question at pirate and they were actually very helpful. i dont know what youre all so scared of when it comes to that site..............oh yeah i also i did search this entire site looking for an answer to this. if anyone can show me a thread that talks about the specific problem of throw distance on a 1990 with a body lift please tell me. i find it funny that the people who complain about thread topics and how stupid your questions are are the same ones who have the least on their truck, and the people with the most time and mods on theirs are the most friendly and helpful. i think there may be something to my e-hater theory. didnt your mothers ever teach you that if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say nothin' ???..................lol

Last edited by bad@$$4runner; 03-01-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think that you'll find a post on throw distance persay. If you look through enough threads on body lifts, you'll find the issues that some people have had with the throw distance, and how they have corrected these issues.

Good choice on the 2" instead of the 4" - one problem that you would have ran into is the steering extension (that is unless you or someone you know is a machinist and is willing to make the extension)

I have a few questions for you - Are you keeping the body lift once you SAS?
If no - Is it really worth the extra work?
If yes - Is a same size drivetrain lift also following? (1 of 2 reasons for a body lift - the other being to fit larger tires)
If for larger tires - 33"x10.5" fit with only pounding the pinch weld - So what size tire are you planning on running?

Just a few things to think about!
And just curious!

Looking forward to the total outcome!
Old 03-01-2009, 03:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could you just explain to us what the purpose of a 4" body lift would be. I really would like to know. You know that body lifts don't increase the ground clearance right?

A 2" body lift seems to be pretty common so that you can weld sliders to the frame easily, it also helps to clear tires.

Last edited by Matt16; 03-01-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Banned

yes i know they dont with the exception of allowing bigger tires. i wanted to see if anyone had done a 4" since it was the tallest body lift kit that i found and i too myself wondered if it looked silly that tall. i think i might just do the 2" body lift and fj80 rear coils if that will work. i really want to get rid of her sagging A$$. whenever i look at it it reminds me of my ex wife ........lol

Last edited by bad@$$4runner; 03-01-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bad@$$4runner
..... my 4 15"s would shake your trailer park to the ground. i think i will do the 2" lift and i will post pics if anyone is interested....
Not to be mean, but who gives a darn? Its sound for god's sake. It SHOULDN'T be able to do that coming from a vehicle. Whats the point of having music go that loud?

I, too, would like to know the purpose of a 4" BL. Just out of curiosity.
Do what you want though

Edit: Oh I guess I shouldn't be multitasking when I'm posting a comment..

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 03-01-2009 at 03:31 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 4runner body lift...will throw distance be a problem ??????????