Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1989 toyota sr5 no rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 toyota sr5 no rear speakers

hi i am new and i am wondering how i should go about in installing my new speakers in the rear of my extra cab truck under the windows

they came with no speakers

i would appreaciate it if someone would help me in doing that
Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what size speakers do you have?? i dont have a truck so maybe someone will chime in with what sizes they came with or have room for???

are you running them from your aftermarket head unit??
Old 04-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you can find someone parting an SR5 that came with rear speakers from the factory, the harness, boxes, and speaker grills are all plug and play
Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 PM

i have 4 inch speakers and i am running them from a pioneer head
Old 04-04-2008, 06:55 PM

i got a 97 extra cab no sr5 and it came with 6.5 but i no some trd and such came with 6x9 stock. I currently have 6x9 installed in mine with not having to cut any plastic due to the fact the truck is my parents not mine. no idea if that helps at all
Old 04-04-2008, 06:57 PM

it has no speaker holes in the back
Old 04-04-2008, 06:57 PM

i have a 97 extra cab that came stock with 6.5 inch speakers but i no some tacomas come with 6x9 stock so ya
Old 04-04-2008, 07:12 PM

In the trucks for the stock speakers they just removed those panels on the two cargo hatches under the rear windows and just put the speakers into those holes. My dads 91 had the SR5 radio installed but he didn't opt for the rear speakers as he was planning on doing that later but the wires were not run for the rear speakers in his truck. They didn't even have them coming out the pigtail at the back the stereo.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Like 82yota said, if it didn't come with rear speakers, most likely you won't have the rear wires on the pigtail either...at least that's what I've seen personally and heard from a lot of people. To get them in the rear, the easiest way is to replace the harness and run the wires to the rear, hiding them either under carpet or under the plastic trim in the doorjam. Stock location for rear speakers is in the side compartments under the windows. I believe you can fit the 6.9s if they are tilted at an angle. Most people just cut out a hole in the compartment door or make a piece of trim to fit the opening. I'd say make a new trim that can be screwed in so they are harder to steal.

I wanted to upgrade my kick ass 2x 4" speaker system with something better, so I had Santa get me a new deck which has the wiring for 4 speakers as well as a sub output for the future and an aux input for ipod. As I didn't decide if I really need rear speakers...yet. I ran new, beefier wires to the new 6.5s in the doors as well as the dash. Someday...I will have 6x9s in the rear, a 10" sub in the jack compartment under the jumper seat, and the dash speakers hooked up to a CB. Oh yeah, I got a 208w Kenwood deck, Pioneer 4-way 6.5s, and Boston Acoustic 2-way 4" dash speakers - I chose everything to be the least flashy as possible so nobody wants to jack them. The only thing I am disappointed with after the upgrade is that the deck no longer dims with the interior acc. light dimmer.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:12 PM

Here's a pic of my setup

Old 04-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by crowley84
Here's a pic of my setup

what is the speaker on
Old 04-05-2008, 03:04 PM

how would you install the ten inch sub in the jack compartment
Old 04-05-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the best way to do it would be to pull the interior panel off, make sure there isn't anything back there to be in the way (I doubt it), then cut the holes (speakers usually come with templates to trace on) and mount the speakers. The wires will need to run down to the plastic carpet trim right at the bottom of the door, through the kick panel and up through the dash to the stereo console. You will likely need an aftermarket head unit with provisions to run 2 speakers, or you could use an amp to power the rear speakers to avoid running wires all the way up to the dash. If you pull the interior panels and there is metal back there (I've never dismantled an extra cab so I don't know) you will need a jigsaw w/metal blade or a plasma cutter if you feel like being fancy.

My last head unit was a sony xplod that came with 2 6x9's and 2 5 1/2s for $150. It's survived a year or so. It came with all the templates I needed and even instructions showing how deep you need the space to be etc. I also like it because it has a jack right on the front of the head unit to plug any mp3 (even an old tape playin walkman lol) in to it and feed through the speakers, instead of the goofy ipod interfaces ($$$$) or the tape interface. I'd be willing to bet you could fit 6x9's back there without a problem.

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 04-05-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:03 PM

just run two 6x9's in your door panels. it will sound good if you get two good ones. if you put tw 6x9's in the rear of your extra cab and keep your 4's up front the 6x9's will completly drown out the fronts. i have 4's in the front of my runner and 6x9's in the back on my roll bar and they kinda drown out the fronts with the stereo fad set almost all the way forward
Old 04-06-2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by 1989toyotasr5blue
what is the speaker on
Mounting frame made of MDF, carpeted and then screwed into the lip on the outer edge of the door pocket hole. Mounts flush and does not vibrate.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 PM

I have an 89 ex cab sr5. there are some knock out panels under my windows. I pulled them..got a piece of 1/8 plywood or uboard, wrapped it in a carpet maching the interior and installed 6 inch speakers in that.then installed in the holes where the panels were..you could actually install in the panel themselves but i wanted them in case i ever pulled the speakers.worked great ,looks great. btw also put some acoustic foam behind the panel to cut down on vibration.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Here is what I did to mount my 6 1/2" Infinity speaker in my truck. It came with the rear speakers, so I removed those, and had to use a die grider to open the spker holes in the sheet metal just a little bit, to get the speakers to sit flush (maybe about an 1/8" all the way around).

Then I cut the louvers out of the stock speaker covers, and mounted perforated speaker metal grilles into the remaining frames. I did this to clear the fronts of the speakers.

And this is the end result. No speaker protrusion from the side, at all.

I hope that this helps.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 PM

[/QUOTE]

I have the same setup but with leather cover, polks in the rear and front
Old 04-17-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have 8's in mine and are recessed and hidden. all you can do is hear them. i cut out a piece of wood to fit inside the whole and wrapped it with a fabric that resembles that of my seats... very clean looking, but unfortunatelly i dont have my truck right now and can't take any pictures for you.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:18 PM

I have the same exact problem. I only have 2 speakers and I'm going with fronts only. I'm getting the MTX kick panels and putting some 5 1/4" components in them. I'm running an amp to the components and then I'm putting 1 10" sub in the jack compartment for the filler bass. I firmly believe that anything I put in the back for speakers will drown out the fronts so I'm not even going to waste my time. A good set of amped components in the front with some filler bass should sound really good in the cab and I'm the only one that needs to hear it so that works for me. I'll update as it comes together. I'm getting the amp and sub this weekend so that should be installed by Saturday.

Quick Reply: 1989 toyota sr5 no rear speakers