Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1989 Toyota 4x4 over fueling

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Toyota 4x4 over fueling

My pickup has went from over 20 mpg avg to about 13. It's recently had a new head installed and the gaskets on the intake side aren't leaking nor any vacuum leaks upon a few shots of starter fluid and then having a 'smoke test' done at a shop.
It's running really rich though but running decent it seems. I've replaced the coil, knock sensor, MAF, O2, cold start injection switch, temp sender. Took it to a shop to have timing, idle, and TPS (no tach) adjusted in which they told me the TPS seemed to be working but raped me on a knock sensor. The fuel milage is still horrible and I can smell it burning. Especially on initial startup. It throws a check engine light but not until 2nd startup after warming up and running initially for any amount of time. Example- shutting down for a fuel up etc. then I can nearly set my watch that the light will pop on about 3 minutes after restart. And it stays on. I'm no mechanic but kinda like to tinker. Read lots of forums mostly on this site to get me to this point of actually posting for advice. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 01:39 PM

Well what code is it throwing?
Old 06-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
Well what code is it throwing?
Lean/Rich
Old 07-03-2014, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BigAlittlea
Lean/Rich
you need new injectors. one of them is stuck open (probably a spring failure) and it will not shut off so it is just dumping fuel into your engine. this throws the oxygen sensor off so it will lean the other injectors out to full lean to try to stop the over-rich condition.

this is dangerous for your engine. especially in the hot weather. a lean condition is going to cost you a head gasket or 2. and it may cost you a burned valve. stop driving it and get some fuel injectors. pronto.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM

Sounds like you are onto somethin flamethrower. Should I bother with an ohm test on the existing? What's the chances the entire ecu may be the problem?
Old 07-05-2014, 08:46 PM
FormerVendor

sure, why not. ohm them.

its usually not the ecu when it does this. when its the ecu, it will run erratically and stall out randomly. i have dealt with this probably 80 times over the last 18 years or so.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:06 PM

I appreciate your advice. And I'm sure you're probably right on the money. Following all the threads has lead me to believe I should've definitely thrown new injectors in upon the head replacement awhile back. But yeah, just sitting here reading back through the 'haynes bible' on it again. They suggested the ohm test. And as I said earlier, I'm no mechanic. Just like to tinker. Ohm test, simple enough. But would it even pick up on a spring failure in an injector? To be honest, I've owned a few of these little trucks over the years and love em and love tinkering on them too. I Just haven't had one treat me quite like this before. It gets old throwing parts at it.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 PM

Wrong

Sorry probably my own mistake for not being descriptive enough on everything in my original post. I've been through nearly everything now though it seems, Including flamethrowers injector set, I installed tonight which did give me a bit more pedal, fit well, and seems to be a good product. May have to play with your timing a bit, after installing this product, or could be my ecu still re learning. Too soon to tell for sure. Now besides the entire electric system, which I'm sure is where the problem lies, this pickup still surges at low idle (which it's always done) and runs like ˟˟˟˟. I read this entire thread "https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229032" and thought it was my long lost twin writing and my trucks long lost twin giving him grief. Exactly the same issues. Up until I read his head gasket being the resolution. Which I've already been through. The Toyota fella at the shop I've had it to three times now said "I've worked on and fixed probably 20 thousand of these ol 22res and usually can track down the issue, but this one really has me stumped!" I guess part of the problem is, it's just a bit too old to hook a live feed diagnostic up to, so they can play with different adjustments and whatnot... Blah blah tech stuff. Has anyone have any other for sure fixes to this problem?