Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1989 pickup 3.0 4x4 manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 pickup 3.0 4x4 manual trans

Hey guys im hoping to get some advise from you all.

I recently bought my dream truck this year after saving and saving while going through school.

I bought this pristine truck from the original owner, a 83 y/o man who put 130k on it. It also had a used motor dropped in it a while ago (not sure when and how many miles).

This truck is in showroom condition, inside and out it looks brand new.

That being said, I had to take it into my local garage for a timing belt, water pump replacement. The last day I drove it, it really started over heating and throwing out white smoke.

The mechanic informed me the head gasket blew, which I read up and as you prob know those engines were notorious for that.

The mechanic said it will be 2500 to fix it and he hasn't gotten back to me yet on a used motor price.

My question to you all is, what would you do?

I am leaning on paying the price to rebuild it, but what if it happens again in 3 months to a year, or within 5 years for that matter. I would be furious.

Are these motors just not worth having? should I fix and just sell it for max?

should I sell it as is?

Any ideas or reassurance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:33 PM

It is what it is. When a 3.0 has been built right they aren't that bad. I've had a 22re and currently own a 22r and 3.0. The 22's are much easier to work on but I recently changed cam seals on the 3.0 which involves the timing belt. It's only as difficult as you make it. If you love the truck I would reinvest in it. My 3.0 has 260k miles on it but it has been rebuilt at some point. Runs like a champ!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Why are you giving up so quickly on your dream truck?? do some research, call for other estimates, and look into doing the head gaskets yourself. Basically Im telling you do to your homework and make an informed decision before you make a hurried emotional decision. The 3.0 is a decent more, it has its problems but it has good points as well. or you can swap a motor. 3.4 v6 and 4.7 v8 swaps are popular for our trucks. Do your homework
Old 12-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^what he said, don't give up, gj on saving up for your dream truck, you're dealing with a 24 year old piece of iron, have patience. LOTS of people here that can help you no matter which way you go with this; rebuild, exchange for 3.4 or whatever. Any pictures of your truck?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

The mechanic who I am dealing with, quoted me 2500 -3000 to get fix current motor.

I figured if im gonna pay that much I should just drop a new motor in it.

http://toyotatruckengine.com/toyota-...FZWUfgodfnkA8g

That's the best ive found so far.

He is quoting me a ruff estimate of 18-2k to swap motors. including water pump installation. (also said includes other stuff like spark plugs, fluids, filters. woohoo I like how they add crap like that like its a job to do)

I don't want this all to sound like a cry for help. I guess I just need some direction.

I have read about the 3.4 swap and it sounds great but not having the required tools and time to do it on my own I feel like paying a mechanic for a straight 3.0 swap is my only option.

I really don't think I heated motor high enough to cause serious damage.
I guess I will look into what involves replacing/machining heads on my own, the rebuilt motor was installed in 01 and has 40k put on it since, so maybe I should consider salvaging it.

Sorry for rambling, I guess im still thinking while typing. not to mention I just got home from my final exam. blah

im going to have the truck towed home within a few days. when I do, I will take some pictures for you all.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by CamPor; 12-12-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Maybe i missed it, but is the $2500 quote for just a head gasket replacement, or did you warp the had and need an entire rebuild? $2500 seems like a lot to me. If i were you, i'd possibly look for a used motor in good condition first.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM

$2500 is ridiculous for a head gasket replacement. That should be a day job and a couple hundred in gaskets, unless he is going to machine your block and heads. Still, if that's the case, you WOULD be better off with a new motor.

I've been researching this furiously for the last few days, as I'm in the same club you are. I don't rely on my rig every day though, as it sounds like you do. For me, it looks like the 3.4l swap is going to be the direction I'm going in. A rebuilt 3.4l is about $2000, and then you can figure maybe another $1000 in miscellaneous parts you need. You could always buy a donor like I'm going to try and do, find a beat up flipped truck or whatever with a motor for $1000, swap it all over, and part out the donor. Might only have a couple hundred into it at that point. I'm not thinking that's an option for you though. Still, you would be better off getting the 3.4l, as it has about 55 more horsepower, and 30ish ft/lbs of torque. Plus, it isn't going to likely suffer from a headgasket if you're getting a new one, and since the price is the same...
Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Yeah, $2500.. don't even bother to haggle with this guy go to another.

I found a machine shop to re-manufacture (differs from rebuild cause they change more parts and stuff) for $1400+tax. I figure another $1500 to a mechanic to do the work, maybe even less.

If you like the truck so much and are not going to do the work yourself, you should think about a swap. Perhaps the money is more worth it when you end up with a newer 3.4L Engine.

But definitely shop around!!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:35 AM

Ok. so I would love to pay the extra for the 3.4 swap. but I don't have the tools/patience to do that on my own. I apparently have a 2nd cousin who will do a fam favor to swap a 3.0 in it for 300 bucks. that sounds great to me, and sounds like the route I should take.

What are the chances that I just buy a new gasket kit, and use the same heads?

I really don't think I heated them up to bad, considering I personally never saw white smoke, and the temp went all the way up for maybe 2 mins before I parked it.

Anyone ever gone that route or heard any successful stories?