Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1989 22r carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 22r carburetor

hey guys im new here and looking at a 89' toyota and got a question. i currently own a pile of junk mazda b2200, and its going to the junk yard. it has a carburetor, but its more of a closed loop efi in a carburetor body. are the 22r carburetors like this? basically im asking is the carburetor computer controlled? does the engine have an o2 sensor, or is it an actual normal carburetor? this is the truck im looking at and is in question http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/1874852697.html. also, does anybody know what the last production year was for the carburetor models was? im buying my first toyota so i could use alittle help lol. going to look at a 1991 single cab 22re truck tomorrow. thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by nitrojoe; 08-19-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The 22R just has a regular carburetor, the mazda carb won`t work on it The 22R also has an 02 sensor and a very small computer that runs the few electronic sensors that are on the engine.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 AM

thats good to know. sounds like a fairly simple system. vacuum diagrams look alot simpler than the mazda garbage too. and thank god the mazda carb doesn't fit. thanks! overall is the engine pretty simple and reliable to work on, or should i go for the 22re if i can?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
myyota, my 87 carbed truck does not have an 02 sensor. to my knowledge none of the sensors on mine are electronic, they are all vac controlled. only electric that went to my carb was for the vent solenoid, idle shutoff valve and choke.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 08-20-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have a 89 22r with a carb and i like it alot. i have had very little trouble with it , it has around 179000 on it . about everything that affects the carb is mounted around it, so what you see is what you get.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
myyota, my 87 carbed truck does not have an 02 sensor. to my knowledge none of the sensors on mine are electronic, they are all vac controlled. only electric that went to my carb was for the vent solenoid, idle shutoff valve and choke.
I had an 84 4Runner with a 22R, and it had an 02 sensor and some other minor electronic sensors on it (it was all stock), and a small electronic box mounted behind the passenger side kick panel that ran all of it.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 PM

my 86 22R has a wire on th 02 senser CAL only ?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by razed
closed loop efi in a carb body? that would be TBI, throttle body injection.

you obvi don't understnad the diff tween carb and injection.

a carb "sucks" fuel in via venturi / bernoulli effect; "fuel injection" pushes, or sprays fuel in through the injectors according to mech or electronic measrments.
i do know the difference. perhaps your being arrogant and dont know what im talking about. get a mazda POS carburetor, rebuild and work with it for a few years, and then tell me what you learn.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:24 AM

because that thing was just down right weird
Old 09-28-2010, 10:41 AM

install a weber and be done with it. lol. easiest carb to work with. as long as you have common sense and can follow the tuning instructions to the letter.

fyi, I believe the mazda carbs are very similar to the ford/holley feedback carbs that can be found on stuff like the 2.8L bronco II/ranger motors. IMO they are POS also and a PITA to work with.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
install a weber and be done with it. lol. easiest carb to work with. as long as you have common sense and can follow the tuning instructions to the letter.

fyi, I believe the mazda carbs are very similar to the ford/holley feedback carbs that can be found on stuff like the 2.8L bronco II/ranger motors. IMO they are POS also and a PITA to work with.
its california. i cant. this pain in the ass state doesnt allow me to touch anything. they will fail your emissions tests if you fart too close to the car. well all i was asking is whether or not it was a good carb and how complicated it is. sounds like it aint too bad
Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get a 22re they are simple and very reliable..

or can u buy one from out of state?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol If you look at the FSM it will tell you what the "carburetor computer" does. All it does is control an electronic vacuum switch (or two varying by year) by readings coming from the exhaust probes. (A muffler shop will call them probes and NOT 02 sensors. They are a different design and read differently).

The computer also routes power to the CMH (Cold Mixture Heater), a hot plate that is located underneath the carburetor and disengages after a certain temp. It also provides power to the fuel cut solenoid and the choke coil. It has a diagnostic port (which is weird because there is no check engine light) and is also wired to the ignition system. Yet despite all of this, my truck is running with the computer removed and ALL I have done is install a Weber and delete all unneeded vacuum.

The 22R Aisin carburetor IS a good carburetor when rebuilt. Often times it is the vacuum emissions junk surrounding it that FAIL and lead uninformed 22R owners to assume they NEED a Weber. An hour's worth of reading the Fuel Delivery and Emissions chapters of the FSM will explain everything you could ever know about the stock fuel delivery.

The major failing component on a stock carburetor is the AAP (Auxilary Accelerator Pump) diaphragm. When this busts, fuel becomes sucked into the vacuum lines and the engine runs nice and pig rich. This diaphragm takes a screw driver and 1 minute of your time to replace. I believe it is available in rebuild kits.

Now, in all honesty: I have a Weber. So why do I praise the stock carb? Because for having to comply with CA smog laws, it happens to be a decent carburetor. I don't have to comply with CA smog law anymore, because I'm a clever little snot who spent way too much time reading state and federal DOT laws and finding my loop hole I wanted.

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 09-29-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 AM

I always forget about this stupid thing CMH (Cold Mixture Heater). lol. But yeah, with the weber all emissions on the engine gets deleted. FYI, my truck before I put the weber on ran pretty well and it did not have an exhaust probe. Either it did not have one to start with or the P.O. removed it when a downey header was installed.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the 22r was offered until '92 or '93 in 2wd only. After that, they could be special ordered in both 2wd and 4wd, but I have never seen one. '88 was the last year for 22r option in the 4wd trucks. '85 was the last year for the 22r in 4runners.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by razed
ROFL.... "fart too close"?
oooh... I've got a K&N air filter, magnaflow muffler and converter, 2" pipe from the downpipe to the converter and out the back... and you can't touch anything? Yeah, I live in Cali.

And if you need a carb for an 88 (very few carbs after 88 for cali), I can hook you up.
having a carburetor isnt my problem. they mentioned put a weber on a later truck, which is not c.a.r.b. approved. yes my statement was alittle exagerated, but that was just for fun. yeah air filters and cat-backs are one thing. carburetors and stuff like that are a totally different deal. my original question was is the carburetor on a toyota 20r the same pain in the ass like on a mazda 2.2. aparently its not. this has nothing to do with not knowing how to work on carbs, rebuild, whatever. the 22r carb doesnt have crap like: fuel mixture solenoids, high altitude compensators, or other things like that. sounds pretty simple. thanks for clearing this up for me everybody
Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM

this page i found cleared up most of my questions
http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/
Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nitrojoe
=the 22r carb doesnt have crap like: fuel mixture solenoids, high altitude compensators, or other things like that. sounds pretty simple. thanks for clearing this up for me everybody
Well hold on now... variations of the 22R came with High Altitude Compensators. This device was the carbureted answer to defeating mixture problems as you drove up such "very, very tall mountains."

As for fuel mixture solenoid, meh never heard of that for a carburetor... but I haven't worked on EVERY carburetor in existence so I'm not saying it doesn't exist. It's not all necessarily "crap" but devices that in their prime were helpful and practical either for cleaner emissions and/or the automation of cold starting an engine and/or adjusting to air density changes.

25 years later when plastic brittles, connections corrode, and electro-heated bi metal snaps.. then yes it pretty much is crap.

A lot of people are intimidated by the vacuum hosing alone. If they just downloaded their corresponding FSM and actually LOOKED with their eyes at the diagrams... there'd never be a question about that again.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
Well hold on now... variations of the 22R came with High Altitude Compensators. This device was the carbureted answer to defeating mixture problems as you drove up such "very, very tall mountains."

As for fuel mixture solenoid, meh never heard of that for a carburetor... but I haven't worked on EVERY carburetor in existence so I'm not saying it doesn't exist. It's not all necessarily "crap" but devices that in their prime were helpful and practical either for cleaner emissions and/or the automation of cold starting an engine and/or adjusting to air density changes.

25 years later when plastic brittles, connections corrode, and electro-heated bi metal snaps.. then yes it pretty much is crap.

A lot of people are intimidated by the vacuum hosing alone. If they just downloaded their corresponding FSM and actually LOOKED with their eyes at the diagrams... there'd never be a question about that again.
high altitude solenoids ok. what a fuel mixture control solenoid is is a tube inside certain carburetors that controls the amount of fuel entering the engine. it eliminates fuel jets. lets say you punch it, the tps sees this, and the computer then tells the fuel mixture solenoid to release more fuel(like a fuel injector) holes in the side of the solenoid open up, and suck fuel out of the float bowl and shoot it out the bottom of the carburetor, and into the intake manifold. i didnt like it because it allowed no ajustability other than idle air leaks and idle level. and when it went bad it was a pain to diagnose and replace because it involved cutting up the wiring harness it had. the whole question was is the 22r carb like this. thats a no. much simpler with much less emissions stuff. less vacuum lines(no big deal i just dont like the clutter) and its a straight forward carburetor. for me that closes the case
Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 PM

hey guys im new and have recently purchased an 86 pickup 22r. its got me stumped, will idle and run fine for a bit then cut out and die. when started back it idles but when i try to give it gas it dies. i took off the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor and put it back on. it will then fire right up and run like nothings wrong. the truck set for months prior to me getting it(alleast as far as i know). should i rebuild the carb? possible trash?

Quick Reply: 1989 22r carburetor