86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1988 4Runner bilstein shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 4Runner bilstein shocks

I have a basically stock 4Runner. I put 31s on it and a add a leaf. Now I'm trying to do something with the suspension. I don't really mind original ride height, but looking for something with a smoother ride. So would adding the bilstein 5100 series work. Or what do I have to do to put them in?

Also considering long travel when I get the money. If I got TC long travel kit what else would I have to get besides axels and shocks?

Last edited by Tayfran15; 03-31-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tayfran15
I have a basically stock 4Runner. I put 31s on it and a add a leaf. Now I'm trying to do something with the suspension. I don't really mind original ride height, but looking for something with a smoother ride. So would adding the bilstein 5100 series work. Or what do I have to do to put them in? Also considering long travel when I get the money. If I got TC long travel kit what else would I have to get besides axels and shocks?
I believe the 5100 is only available in a 4"over stock for your application but I could be wrong. From what I've heard a set of new leafs would be good for improving your ride. OME seems to be recommended a lot. I did the rear add a leaf in mine and the ride is a bit stiff.
I put KYB shocks on mine, again, it rides like a truck.
Did you do anything up front or are you raked out from the rear lift? If you cranked your torsion bars to match the rear, get some BJ spacers and relax your torsion bars. That made the most improvement for me.
But in the end, if you are going long travel, then don't waste anymore money on your current set up. You will likely end up needing 4" lift springs in the rear to match, IIRC
Old 04-01-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by mountainbrew
I believe the 5100 is only available in a 4"over stock for your application but I could be wrong. From what I've heard a set of new leafs would be good for improving your ride. OME seems to be recommended a lot. I did the rear add a leaf in mine and the ride is a bit stiff.
I put KYB shocks on mine, again, it rides like a truck.
Did you do anything up front or are you raked out from the rear lift? If you cranked your torsion bars to match the rear, get some BJ spacers and relax your torsion bars. That made the most improvement for me.
But in the end, if you are going long travel, then don't waste anymore money on your current set up. You will likely end up needing 4" lift springs in the rear to match, IIRC
I haven't done anything to the front yet. I put a 1.5-2" add a leaf in the leaf pack. But I do want to put on some sort of lift. I like the way long travel looks. Definitely out of the ordinary. But any suggestions on a lift. Nothing pro comp though. What would you guys recomend?
Old 04-01-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an '88 runner. Those Bilsteins are stiff, not smooth at all. I also have OME medium rear springs, since the Add-A-Leaf pieces crack real easy. Currently there are Bilstein 5100's on the rear. They ride worse than Pro-comp & Rancho but should last longer than 1 year. What happens is they get hot on long drives and fail long before you think they should.

I also put in 23mm front bars to push up the front a little. Now whats scary here is that the Rancho's on the front seem alright, while the rear one's drop like flies.

These trucks have a choppy ride and it tough to tame. Used rancho's but they fail annually due to heat build up.

I am actually thinking of putting those reservoir shocks on to soften the ride while having extra fluid maintain a reasonable temperature. Suzuki lower mounts ans Sky upper mount to get some travel room.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot
I have an '88 runner. Those Bilsteins are stiff, not smooth at all. I also have OME medium rear springs, since the Add-A-Leaf pieces crack real easy. Currently there are Bilstein 5100's on the rear. They ride worse than Pro-comp & Rancho but should last longer than 1 year. What happens is they get hot on long drives and fail long before you think they should.

I also put in 23mm front bars to push up the front a little. Now whats scary here is that the Rancho's on the front seem alright, while the rear one's drop like flies.

These trucks have a choppy ride and it tough to tame. Used rancho's but they fail annually due to heat build up.

I am actually thinking of putting those reservoir shocks on to soften the ride while having extra fluid maintain a reasonable temperature. Suzuki lower mounts ans Sky upper mount to get some travel room.
My older brother had 5100 bilsteins in his 97 tacoma. The ride wasn't extremely rough. It felt nice. But you could tell they were a bit tight when he first had them.

But if I did put those 5100s in the 4Runner what would I have to do to put those or another type of bilsteins in. Like a BJ spacer or what?
Old 04-02-2015, 06:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats a heavier truck, so yup it would ride better.

Check the length first but a a spacer would be fine, followed by an alignment.

If you are planning a winch, get the bigger bars.