Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1988 3vze 4x4 Pickup - Inc work, Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
1988 3vze 4x4 Pickup - Inc work, Advice?

Hey everyone, thanks for taking a look.

I have had this beautiful 88 Toyota Pickup for the last 7 years, got it for a trade off my cousin. Its been great. She is about to hit the 200k mile mark and its time for some work, maybe a few fun additions as well.

Here is a little background on the trucks condition and my current situation. The truck has had a good amount of work done on it to keep things in great shape. My dad had a truck repair shop up until two years ago when he finally decided to retire. So he helped me keep things in order, iv never done any major work myself. At about 150k miles he rebuilt the engine for me, new water pump, thermostat, all new seals, gaskets, piston rings, HEADGASKET that is leaking again of course, valve job, timing chain, belts, checked all the bearings. It was in good shape after that. Since then we have managed to replace the U joints, clutch, alternator, repaired the radiator (probably should get a new one), idlerarm, spark plugs, wires and cap again about 500 miles ago, front shocks, muffler and pipe that was rusted out, recharged the AC to a frosty level again and attempted my first and so far only paint job, fresh coat of Factory Grey. Well i did all of the prep work and had my father spray it, haha. Who knows what else i forgot to mention. Its been a great truck.

So not long after the 150k mile rebuild, the head gasket started leaking again. just slightly, its been like this for the last 40k miles and is very consistent. I usually have to add about 1 quart of oil at the 2000 mile mark after an oil change to give you an idea of the pace that im losing it. It was pretty frustrating to see that happen so soon, but it also has not been bad enough to tear it down again. In addition to this problem, i unfortunately have a bit of a transmission issue. Caused from me driving it for probably 2 years on my new clutch and not adjusting it properly. After i started driving it around again post clutch replacement i stalled it right off the bat, but figured the different throw on my clutch pedal was due to the new clutch. But you know the little screw adjustment on your clutch pedal inside the cab? well that was all the way in for a long long time and so i think i burnt up my syncros.

Its a bitch to get into 2nd gear right after i start it up, settles down after a few minutes but NEVER feels as smooth between shifts as it used to. Also i have a much much harder time down shifting than i ever remember before all this happened. All the gears feel a little rough during each shift. I dont know much about transmission but from asking around and talking with my dad (who has test driven it countless times but cant feel anything wrong with the way it shifts, i fully attribute this to his working on primarily semi's for the last 30 years, but who knows..), i might have been too hard on the syncros for too long.

For the last year iv had this itch to go out and get a newer Tacoma to escape the imminent death of my current Truck and have a new toy with some actual room inside the Cab. But looking at things realistically, they are damn expensive. So here is my new plan. I have moved back home for about a month, before i move out to San Francisco. My dad is willing to help me tear it down again and replace these head gaskets, and at the same time i was thinking. How about i put a little money that i wanted to use towards the new Tacoma, and instead get some nice things for the 88' to make it feel like a new truck again..

If you actually read all that, great! If not here is what i want to do, and any suggestions from people who have already done this that loved the outcome or would do it different, im all ears.

Here are my Questions:

New headgaskets are a must, are there a preferred type, style, brand that is often used these days to prevent more leaks?

Are there any special tools i will need to work on the transmission? Something you wouldn't find in a diesel mechanics tool box, unique Toyota tools?

As for fun things, i think it would be great to give it a bit more grunt. Was thinking on something along the lines of a new exhaust system including headers and high flow cat? I havent done this before so what would you do in this area! I dont want it to be too loud. Just sound good. Also a new air intake setup? Currently just using the plain old box n paper filter. I dont know, what do you guys think?

Found this thread about some Thorley Headers and a Borla muffler combo.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...xhaust-192629/
Altho i think it sounds great, if i went with a different muffler, how much can you quiet that down? I dont really want to be setting off car alarms! But the sound its great, just quieter for my taste.

Found the headers here, summits estimated ship date is almost a month out.. too long.
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...ta-Pickup-1988 --- These are the better choice?

That was longer than i thought. Thanks for taking a look if you made it this far.

Trucks first trip to Tahoe!

5 hours after i parked at Heavenly, ready to go home after a day trip.

Last edited by mbomberz1; 07-03-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice little truck. I say go through the whole motor. Its time. She deserves a new lease on life.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:07 AM

Well i would love to, but this is going to be a backyard job this time and we have no way of pulling the engine.. Its got around 45k miles on the current rebuild, Not too bad?
Old 07-03-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
45 k, Hardly broken in. I say Headers, Exhaust, Air filter and Cam, should get her going.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:42 AM

I was thinking about cams. How hard would it be to smog here in CA, have you run into any issues with your setup? i see its kinda what im looking for.

Last edited by mbomberz1; 07-03-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:08 PM

With a good running engine there should be no probs with a cam. When I first came to Ca I still had NH plates. I had a smog test (not needed as my NH plates were good till 2010), It failed. I changed Cat and reset timing. Passed. And the cam works best mated to a header and exhaust etc.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 PM

I dont know much about what type of cam would be ideal. I know next to nothing about all the different ratios and timings they come in. I just want more power in the mid range.

Im pretty set on the Doug Thorley headers. How should i go about matching up a good cam with them as well as exhaust and intake, is there anything else i should consider?

Also, i just checked the numbers on my manual where i keep a record of mileage events, the motor was rebuilt at 162k! So it should only be at 34k miles on the rebuild, even better. It runs great. Just can smell a little burning oil after you get it warm and come up to a stop light or park it. Checked around the engine and its definitely leaking on both sides in the back two pistons near the crossover. Not really enough to drip to the ground, mostly cause it all burns off i assume.

Last edited by mbomberz1; 07-03-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:45 PM

Iv been doing some more research trying to figure out what muffler to get. This is what i have found. There was a great post on this forum about quieting down your exhaust in my same situation and it was suggested to get this :

Magnaflow 4x9 oval, 18in long Center/Offset,
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8470

How will this pair with the Doug Thorley Headers? I imagine i will use the stock cat too. I wish i could hear it all together before i click that purchase button

Any thoughts on this setup? Sound? Performance loss? How can i be sure this will fit together ok. Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 AM

I did like the sound of the Borla exhaust, it was just way too loud. Going off what i read, by increasing the length of the muffler and internal volume. You can quiet it down, thats why it was suggested to go with that 18 x 4x9.

Am i wrong to assume that this would carry over to the Borla XL seriers? They state its made for larger engines though.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 PM

My Borla muffler (stainless) rusted where the hanger was welded on and blew out some packing I believe. Well the sound is not like it used to be. Been 14 years or so, so its time for a new Muff. I like that Magnaflow, I may just get that. And as well peel back the metal on borla and try an repack then have welded, can't hurt.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 AM

Well i guess ill give the magnaflow a try.

Someone let me know if im forgetting anything! Here is the shopping cart:

Full Gasket Set, Head Bolts and Timing Belt

Doug Thorley Headers

Magnaflow Muffler
Old 07-07-2010, 06:40 AM

Beer & Cigars
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 AM

Works for me
Old 07-07-2010, 09:22 AM

Check and Check.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 PM

Parts

Well a few things have started to trickle in, got my muffler and exhaust tip in today. I didn't notice this before but it says on my receipt that "some parts" are not California legal? Weird.. i can only assume it means my muffler since i don't think the exhaust tip would be the culprit. Why would this be? The only things i got from summit are the exhaust tip and muffler.

After searching through countless pages of Toyota pickup pictures to pick out a set of wheels, i came across these. Who makes these and what model are they? I have not seen something that exactly resembles them anywhere for sale yet. I was thinking maybe they are just powder coated silver rims and thats why? If anyone knows what they are id love to know!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just about everything is illegal in the peoples republic of california. They just want you to drive your vehicle and when it breaks throw it away and buy a new one.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Hmm if they buy me a new one sure, but i cant fork out 30k for a new Tacoma. Rather spend 2k on my old truck and make it feel new to me again. Iv got that old SR5 seat and center console elbow rest dug in perfect! Haha. Well since im over due for smog anyways and i haven't started anything yet, i better go do that before i start any of this so i get 2 years of no hastle hopefully.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
nice looking truck!

Make sure if you have to buy a CAT that it's 50 state legal...most aer 49 state legal and guess which state is the odd one out CA CATs cost more too - about $100 more on average than the 49 staters.

I love my LCE headers and exhuast (Magnaflow).

www.lcengineering.com

A good, affordable cam solution is ENGNBLDR - search him on eBay. He also makes heads and timing chain sets for cheap.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:25 AM

Hey thanks!

Just checked their ebay store and website but didn't see anything for 3vze cams. So i sent them an email. Hopefully a reply with good news comes back! I got my full gasket set, timing belt and head bolts from them a few days ago. Nice guy on the phone, would love it if they do still offer cams for the 3vze.

I have 2 things im still trying to decide on and need some help! Best solution for performance but also CA legal air intake that wont mess with my computer.

And then a new set of rims, tires to come later in the winter. Im now leaning towards these:

Here is what they would look like. I think its a good fit!

Last edited by mbomberz1; 07-09-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 PM

Wonderful, good looking stock truck. MMM some how I envision it OD Green.

Quick Reply: 1988 3vze 4x4 Pickup - Inc work, Advice?