Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1988 22re 4Runner SR5 - No Vacuum

Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 22re 4Runner SR5 - No Vacuum

What are some of the most common areas for vacuum leaks? So far the only air leaks found are a tear in the boot connecting the plastic intake tube to the throttle body and one of the valve cover grommets/nuts werent quite sealing. Tightened that down and that leak went away. Testing for leaks with a boost leak tester and air pressure set to about 10 lbs. Because of the tear in the boot, we attached the tester to the throttle body and went from there. What other vacuum leak tests are most effective on the 22re?

There is low enough vacuum that when pulling any one of the hoses from the intake maifold at idle, there isnt even enough suction to slurp up some Seafoam...nor does the idle change at all.

Thanks gentlemen.

Last edited by Kingjerd; 09-03-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For starters that damaged(leaking) intake air tube will cause significant performance loss on the 22re. I would repair that ASAP.

Addressing "No Vacuum" complaint... have you confirmed the actual engine vacuum with an appropriate vacuum gauge...?

Normal engine vacuum also depending on elevation... is around 17-22HG's.

The engine idles and runs...?

How does the engine run...?

Are we using an effective source of vacuum for sea foam induction and diagnosis...?

Poor internal engine health(A tired engine) has a direct impact on "engine vacuum" amount. Poor engine compression... = Poor engine vacuum.

Poor combustion chamber sealing = low compression = Poor Vacuum.

A restricted exhaust system(VIA Catalytic Converter for example) can also contribute heavily to Poor Vacuum.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For starters that damaged(leaking) intake air tube will cause significant performance loss on the 22re. I would repair that ASAP.
*Scouring local junkyards like a crazy person while the truck is grounded to the driveway for a good unit.

Addressing "No Vacuum" complaint... have you confirmed the actual engine vacuum with an appropriate vacuum gauge...?

Normal engine vacuum also depending on elevation... is around 17-22HG's.
*I have not, yet. Just going by feeling of thumb over vacuum line ends at the moment. Not feeling a thing. Going to rent a gauge soon. Thanks for the number to bounce whatever readings I get off of!

The engine idles and runs...?
How does the engine run...?
*Engine idles fine, runs...ok...when driving under 3000ish rpms or under 50%ish throttle, its a dog. If I raise the RPMs or throttle input its like a switch is flipped and it just pops alive instantly. Not gradual at all. Like going from a dead cylinder to all four running wide open...instantly.

Are we using an effective source of vacuum for sea foam induction and diagnosis...?
*Tried many of the lines coming from the intake manifold right next to the throttle body individually. Tried various lines, one at a time, throughout the engine bay to try and find any kind of suction. Never found one that would ingest anything.

Poor internal engine health(A tired engine) has a direct impact on "engine vacuum" amount. Poor engine compression... = Poor engine vacuum.

Poor combustion chamber sealing = low compression = Poor Vacuum.

*This makes alot of sense. Its done this ever since we rebuilt the bottom end. Ive always been led to believe that without proper vacuum, the rings will not seat properly. Without the rings properly seated, there is poor vacuum and compression. Its been a couple thousand miles since the rebuild. The bogging then sudden aliveness caused me to investigate further and I cant stomach the drive any longer without a solution.

A restricted exhaust system(VIA Catalytic Converter for example) can also contribute heavily to Poor Vacuum.

*This is something else weve considered. (all along "We" is referring to me and the friend of mine who has been helping me) I was going to unbolt the exhaust from the catalytic converter back to see if there is any change.